Kundalini Issues Not Related to the AYP System
 Head Pressure & Focus on Breath
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thank_g

India
10 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  04:43:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello I am new to this forum and thank Yogani and other forum members for sharing a wealth of knowledge and experiences here
I have been doing kriya yoga for last 3 months now with no prior meditation experience and mainly do 25 -30 minutes in the morning and about 20-25 minutes at night in bed. I sleep immediately after the night session without any built in resting in the routine

My routine is the following:
(1) Mahamudra – 3 rounds
(2) 36 spinal breathing pranayama from muladhara to ajna and back
(3) Meditation - just concentrating on the ajna chakra and follow the natural breath

I have a couple of questions and would appreciate your guidance here

1.Pressure in head : Yesterday, after morning session, I had pressure felt in the third eye, ajna chakra and it increased during the day with the pressure spread out to ears as well (similar to the ear pressure you feel while in an airplane), with some buzzing and it lasted the whole day. I missed the morning session today and pressure is less than before. How to deal with pressure in the head? Am I on the right track or doing something wrong here? Should I reduce, stop the practice for some time?

2.Force mind to follow breath or let it lose and observe: During meditation sometimes I forget to follow the breath, often my head drops and my breathing becomes slower. My question is - are we supposed to keep focus on the breath and direct our mind to follow the breath or let the mind become calm and just allow it to observe whatever is happening or coming to the mind, thoughts or breathing without forcing it?
Thanks.

Edited by - AYPforum on Sep 06 2013 05:49:43 AM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  05:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  2:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi thank g and welcome to the forum.

In answer to question 2 on how to practice breathing meditation, I wrote down the instructions for the way I teach it and posted it on my website here:

http://www.secretsofyoga.org/breath...itation.html

In response to question one, it is difficult to respond without first knowing what you mean by mahamudra? But in general, if you are getting pressure in the head then that is a sign to back off your practices. Either reduce the amount of time that you spend on each practice each day, or take a couple of days off altogether to let things calm down and come back in at a reduced level. You can slowly build up your practice times once you have found a more comfortable level of practice.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

thank_g

India
10 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2013 :  08:19:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi - I gather from your notes on your website is to gently bring back your mind to observing breath, if you get lost. Thank you.

Regarding the pressure in the head, I backed off and reduced the spinal breathing to 6-8 SBP. Also I did a 15 minutes meditation observing the breath while focussed on heart instead of third eye(I picked this suggestion from one of the other discussion thread on this forum). Head pressure is gone for now, though strong currents/tingling has started in arms and legs. I guess all these things will come and are ok, self pacing is a great suggestion here.

Mahamudra is just extending one leg at a time in front while sitting and touching your toe with your fingers, I guess the main benefit is to straighten the spine before doing SBP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000