Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Remedy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  10:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I ate garlic last night, and it burnt my whole body. I'm still not feeling quite right. Is there a cooling remedy?

TIA!

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  01:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi lalow33,

Are you familiar with Ayurveda?
The Indian system of medicine has much advice to give to balance your bodily system with foods a.o.

Yogani wrote about it here: http://www.aypsite.org/ayurveda-diets.html

As you describe feeling lots of heat, this is an excess in pitta dosha. Favouring pitta pacifying foods will help.
Here's a list: http://www.ancientsbest.com/wp-cont...nts-Best.pdf

People with a dominant constitution of pitta are advised to limit their intake of garlic/onion or avoid it altogether. There are some tests online that help you determine your dominant dosha(s) (type dosha test in google and you'll find plenty of options). Your constitutionally dominant dosha can also exactly be determined by a qualified ayurvedic therapist if you have the chance to meet one.

If you're short in time to go through these materials, this is my quick advice: just eat lots of fruit; and a salad with raw veggies, lots of green in it, little oil, no onion/garlic, little or no salt.

Drink plenty of water up to half hour before your meals.

If you have the opportunity to go swimming or walk in the rain, that helps pacifying pitta also..

Enjoy...

Omsat

quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

Hi all,

I ate garlic last night, and it burnt my whole body. I'm still not feeling quite right. Is there a cooling remedy?

TIA!

Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  5:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I've read Yogani's diet info. I thought I'd be okay with a small amt. I was wrong. I drank a bunch of water and ate watermelon, but it to a day to get back to normal.

Thanks for your help!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  6:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad things are cooler now Lalow.
For the future, a couple of easy cooling recipes...
1> 2 tblspn fennel seeds + 1 tblspn seedless raisins .. soak in a cup of water overnight (6-8 hrs)... Drink this water the next morning.

2> 2 tblspn yogurt + 1 glass of water + pinch of salt + pinch of black pepper.. stir well.. drink cold.. keep drinking it all day... as many glasses as you can.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=1472#10981
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  09:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Omsat and Shanti!

I will try the cooling recipes. I also order The Ayurvedic Cookbook.

I take a yoga class that has a short qi gong series in the middle. On numerous occasion, I could feel prana shooting up in my digestive tract and burning all the way up to the head or burning out through the ears. I couldn't figure out why it's in my digestive tract. I now believe diet can eliminate this. We'll see!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000