Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 how to reawaken the awakening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beachgirl

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  10:15:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit beachgirl's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
hi there,
i have had two incredible periods of awakening. the last one seemed to have been cut short when i fell and hurt myself a few years ago and could no longer breathe and meditate comfortably.

however i yearn for another awakening. what can i do if anything to bring the feelings and state of consciousness back short of two hours a day of breathing? or is it all just fate as to when this happens?

thanks

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  09:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi beachgirl,

deep meditation can be done in any position, and it is encouraged to be comfortable while sitting upright. Additional energy practices such as siddhasana and its enhancements are optional, and more elaborate forms (jnana mudra) are even presented with some reservation and regarded as secondary practices because they can at times interfere with the simple procedure.

"Meditation can be practiced by almost anyone in any health situation without putting an extra burden on the body." -Lesson 48

By two hours a day of breathing, I take it that you mean spinal breathing pranayama, since breath meditation involves simply being aware of breathing without altering it deliberately. Pranayama is not encouraged for more than 20 minutes at a time, twice a day. It is also always paired with Deep Meditation that follows it without exception.

From the same lesson, "a certain level of health, particularly of the respiratory system, is necessary to undertake pranayama. We never should overextend beyond our physical capability in pranayama. Our practice should be matched to the level of our capability. If we are weak, pranayama should be at a minimum, or not at all [..] Be mindful of that and always gauge your practice of pranayama to your present physical condition so as not to put an undue burden on your body."

I have heard about spontaneous divine grace, and other scenarios that offer quick results such as shaktipat (the transmission of energy from one to another). The lessons for these cases again reinforce the same idea, that gradual purification and opening done in a systematic way through one's own efforts, and collaboratively with a partner or in groups sharing that yearning, offers steady and lasting change.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  11:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Beachgirl,

Good advice from AumNaturel. I have something to add also. When you refer to your period of awakening, what exactly happened, in your experience? Please describe exactly what you were experiencing, what it felt like, the understanding you gained from it and so on.

With this in mind, it may be easier to give you useful advice.

Best wishes,

Josh
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000