AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Doubt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  3:09:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste. Someone asked what role doubt has played in my life. Here is the story I wrote.

The Tragical History of Western Epistemology’s Modern Hubris in Twenty Minutes, Regarding Doubt

At the inception of the modern era of philosophy, the genius Rene Descartes penned his famous Meditations, the first book of which was titled, “De iis quae in dubium revocare possunt,” or, “Regarding things that can be called into doubt.” Included in this summoning was no less than the entire foundation of human thought. The fundamental precepts of rational cognition were reduced to complete uncertainty. His solution was to devise a system of knowing, based on incontestable assertions. For example, his famous credo is “Cogito ergo sum,” or, “I think, therefore, I am.” Even one scarcely trained in argumentation immediately sees the fallacious nature of this conclusion, namely, that it is stated at the outset of the argument, being contained in the premises. Thus, we have a principio principii, or petition at the outset, the infamous fallacy of “begging the question.”

Viz., He states that he exists when he says “I think.” He then concludes that he exists. The reasoning is commonly referred to as “circular.”

Centuries later, Descartes has left us with what has been coined the “strong criterion” for knowledge, or, classically stated, justified, true belief. On the strong model, justification for a belief must be infallible in order for the proposition, which expresses the epistemic state of believing, to be eligible for syntactic predication with the term “knowledge.” Of course, the belief must also be able to be expressed as a proposition, which assumes that its content admits of kind and degree. The other latent assumption is that whatever “real” content to which a belief corresponds is something that can be dealt with by means of propositional structures and analytic manipulation.

With the strong criterion, thinkers can’t afford themselves enough material in order to make their precious predictions about things that don’t exist or haven’t happened. Hence, they have assumed the “weak criterion,” which states that a belief’s justification need only be reasonable in order to qualify it for structural predication with propositional knowledge.

Viz., I need only be reasonable sure that I am looking at the North Star in order to say that I know “I am looking at the north Star” (assuming it is true and I believe it).

Now the theorists have much more room to play their polemics against nature, citing axioms, norms, methods of induction, and arbitrary conclusions and principles, e.g., conservatism, internal and external consistency, scope, and the principle of parsimony, or Occam’s Razor. “Data” is the word of the hour. It’s odd how such an overbearing apparatus fills itself with such meaningless airs.

But these methods have been so successful at bringing progress, we say. We look with our eyes to our machines, drugs, and weapons. And we laud those with no vision because they are successful at forcing others to stare. All the while, we become more convinced that doubt is the way. It will prop us over mountains, as long as we bear their terrible weight.

And they are dreadful, screaming: Doubt your soul. Doubt the Gods. Doubt the value of song and story. Doubt that love is divine and unconditional.

Why not take a break from this burden and wander into the gentle valleys below, even if they are in fog? I hear it rises from the warm springs there.

The Greek mathematician Archimedes said, “Give me a lever large enough and a place on which to stand, and I will move the world.” But we cannot move the world; it moves us. Contrary to Protagoras’s decree, man is not the measure of all things. But all things are the measure of man, if he can leave behind his doubt.

Doubt can never know the mind of God.

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  8:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, although it is difficult for me to understand all your words.
This is the basis of the mind that yoga says is to be quieted to find true peace and enlightenment.

The mind is so sure that it knows truth, but it's truths are based upon assumptions, and those assumptions are based upon the manipulation of words that are not real, but only representations of what is real.

"Proofs" in science are based upon the scientific method, which has gaping holes in it. It assumes that anything that is true is repeatable, for instance.
There is a doctor who has cured cancer quite a few times, and yet has trouble getting government approval for his methods. They want him to treat a large group with the same cancer with a single method, and if that does well, they will approve his methods. But his methods are based upon personalized treatment based upon the unique gene makeup of each patient, so it doesn't fit their criteria.

Reminds me of Sherlock Holmes' contention that "when you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.'
This assumes that we know it all, which worked pretty well in his time, but we are learning today that there is much more to the world than we are aware of, and the mind is not the only tool for grasping it.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  9:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Fine observations, Etherfish. Love the Sherlock Holmes deduction.

My take on it is that, just like any other emotion, if utilized properly, doubt can be like fire to burn off the impurities that are obscuring the truth. For instance, if I playfully doubt my ability to accomplish a certain task, but I proceed anyway in the face of doubt, and succeed, then my doubting was of useful leverage. It's well-known and illustrated that greatness must always break through barriers of doubt. If the doubt paralyzes and cripples the aspirant, then the doubt is obviously not useful. If the doubt inspires and challenges the seeker, then it served a purpose.

For me, I have to ask myself: is this worth doubting? Because if I doubt whatever I'm contemplating or venturing to undertake, then I will devote my energy to that purpose. So, I like doubting the validity of meditation and samyama, for instance, because then I am prone to investigate whether my doubt is true. It's a worthy allotment of my time, and based on the experience reported by others, the reward could be quite satisfying.

In the Christian gospels, there is the story of the "doubting Thomas", who did not believe Jesus had resurrected from the grave. But, lo and behold, when he felt the crucifixion wounds with his own hands, his doubt was relieved.

So I think doubt can be a healthy impetus, if directed in a worthy direction.
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  3:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Etherfish and Bodhi Tree,

it's true. Doubt can be very painful and destructive or very pleasant and constructive. For me, it has been everything and in everything. My mind was its vehicle. It was in me, and it consumed me until I was shredded by it.

Now there is nothing left to do but heal and love.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2013 :  03:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Amen, Anima. I share that experience and outlook with you. Forward is the only direction to go.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000