Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Is spiritual consciousness increasing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2013 :  9:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Random conversational one here, but I'm interested to hear AYP'ers opinions on two points:

1) Do you think worldwide 'spiritual consciousness' is increasing, decreasing or the same over say the past 100 years and going on into the future?

What I mean by 'spiritual consciousness': is there an increasing critical mass of people who are waking up out of total 'sleep walking', (i.e. being completely identified with their thoughts/emotions/ego/belief systems)? I.e. starting to get an inner sense of oneness, growing in their inner spiritual intuition (as opposed to identifying with divisive religious beliefs), starting to feel more harmony with the world and people at large - beyond divisions, races, creeds (etc) and so forth? And evolving to a consciousness of our spiritual purposes as individuals?

2) Furthermore, do you think just the global situation: global economy, equality, human rights, wars, rich/poor divide is going to get better or worse over the next 50 years?

Here's my views:

1) I think spiritual consciousness is increasing. Personally I think it's quite possibly a dramatic increase. I can't even make a realistic estimate of how many people might have a sincere interest in loosening the identification with body and mind. Eckhart Tolle's Power of Now has sold 6 million copies (about half sold in North America). That's 6 million people who have at least some idea of what it means to cease identification with form. There are probably thousands of teachers available to the Western seeker who in some way or another acknowledge the non-dual reality we live in.

Now, spiritual seeking is still seen as kind of weird, and not understood by Western culture at large. So it's not like some countries in the East where perhaps people become Buddhists or whatever for cultural reasons without really having a sincere interest in waking up. Not that all Western seekers are super genuine, there's a lot of spiritual materialism, but I do feel like there are so many hearts out there longing for a deeper spiritual connection/awakening, and the powerful Eastern methods of spiritual practices have created a good outlet for that in the West.

Now let's reverse back in time to say the year 1900, and take the West - europe, north america and so on. How many people then do you think might have any interest in waking up out of identification with ego? Or working to generally become more self-aware? Some perhaps, but the rare few. Even those who did have a longing at some point, Christianity may have been there only access to God, and there aren't many useful spiritual practices in the Bible, or even really much of an idea of inner spiritual transformation. I think the internet is creating a revolution through access to spiritual teachings&practices and even self-development/pop psychology which whilst often motivated by ego, does encourage one to detach and be objective about oneself.

I can't speak for the East, enlightenment based spirituality has always had popularity there, so I don't know if things change or are the same.

2) I don't know on this one. There are some people who are basically saying the Global Economy is going to crash, governments will break down, electricity will run out, food will become scarce and it's going to turn into a bartering system (and "ya better have stocked up on gold coins, rifles and canned food!"). I personally think some sort of total global breakdown is highly improbable. Nobody wants this to happen (except perhaps those 'preparedness' folks who are secretly hoping their bunkers and 5 years canned food supplies are going to come in handy). I think world governments will do everything to prevent something like this, they'll work together. I'm not fearful about the future, although I think the economy may see some major ups and downs over the next few years.

Interested to hear your predictions!

Edited by - mr_anderson on Aug 07 2013 9:38:13 PM

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  01:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I vote yes. If required to sign any petitions in blood, I will gladly oblige. If pressured to be nailed to a crucifix, I may need some time to contemplate that option.
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  02:45:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting topic. I have a take on this:

With technological development changing our ambience, we are in a much better position to see more stuff clearly these days. For example, we can talk ‘before and after’ the video recorder and player became a part of common life. Before the technology was a part of daily life – a grown up family member used to be taken for granted as a grown up person by others, or an old family member used to be taken for granted as an old person. Now that we have family videos, we can see the video recording of childhood plays of a now grown up person, with her mother as an young lady in the video who is now a mush elder lady. We have a unmistakable visual about how much change has taken place in every body, and how we are hopping through various stages and roles from birth to death – which could only be thought through by some intellectual people before the days of video, or to an extent photograph. So now it is more common to come up with the questions like “ Where are we from and where to? And what is the whole point?” as the deception is clear in front of our eyes. And I believe that similarly many other developments are helping in their own way to throw light on the nature of maya for masses to see.

Then, with more communication, globalization, and the vast coverage of news these days – we are exposed to and positioned to observe lots of thoughts, beliefs (including but not limited to religious, nationality, etc…), clashes of beliefs, violence and war from those clashes due to non-acceptance about a parallel belief just due to mental stiffness – and as a result lot many of us are waking up to the possibility that the truth must be beyond these rituals, debates, attacks, clashes, because something within us constantly keeps asking that where are the stuffs like love, peace and feeling content coming in the equation?

And this is where the availability of the spiritual knowledge in the internet (including the books you can search and buy and discuss online) comes in the picture – to show the way whenever somebody has felt like waking up. (Just can’t thank enough Yogani and all the people here for having AYP whenever I think about it ).
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  10:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

I vote yes. If required to sign any petitions in blood, I will gladly oblige. If pressured to be nailed to a crucifix, I may need some time to contemplate that option.

Ha ha!

Exactly what Josh posted yesterday...
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=13235
quote:
My heart cried out against it. No spiritual materialism, no states, experiences, satoris, bliss, temporary illuminations, flashes in the pervading darkness of ignorance.

I want the absolute truth. Not some passing experience. Not a half-hearted conviction I don't live by. Can my body put its neck under a guillotine, fearless, knowing that when the blade comes down, nothing will be lost? No? Then there's still ignorance.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  10:28:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

quote:

Ha ha!

quote:
My heart cried out against it. No spiritual materialism, no states, experiences, satoris, bliss, temporary illuminations, flashes in the pervading darkness of ignorance.

I want the absolute truth. Not some passing experience. Not a half-hearted conviction I don't live by. Can my body put its neck under a guillotine, fearless, knowing that when the blade comes down, nothing will be lost? No? Then there's still ignorance.

Hi All:

There is also the story of the mountain climber who slipped over a ledge a thousand feet up, ending up hanging on to a twig growing out of the rock, with no way to go, up or down. So he looked up to the heavens and prayed: "Oh God, please save me." A reply came: "Let go my child. I will save you." The mountain climber contemplated for a moment, and then cried out: "Is there anyone else up there?!"

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  10:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

quote:

quote:

Ha ha!

quote:

Hi All:

There is also the story of the mountain climber who slipped over a ledge a thousand feet up, ending up hanging on to a twig growing out of the rock, with no way to go, up or down. So he looked up to the heavens and prayed: "Oh God, please save me." A reply came: "Let go my child. I will save you." The mountain climber contemplated for a moment, and then cried out: "Is there anyone else up there?!"

The guru is in you.

Ha Ha...
Oh gosh... a day to make me laugh!
You guys are the best!

PS: Sorry Josh, did not mean to derail your topic.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  10:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mr Anderson and All:

Yes, spiritual consciousness has certainly increased over the past century, and is accelerating with help from information technology and many more practitioners of all kinds in the world -- see Lessons 93 and 332. However, rising consciousness does not necessarily guarantee a particular outcome in temporal existence, except increasing freedom from identification and suffering. That alone makes temporal living much better, regardless of the circumstances we may find ourselves in.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  1:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Mr. Anderson,

These are interesting questions. Yes, the world--my world--is wonderful (much of the time). As Maragall says,

Tot semblava un mon en flor,
i l'anima nera jo.

"All seemed a world in flower,
And I was the soul of this world."

I don't have to think about this. My thinking only gets me into trouble. I know it.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  11:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Spiritual energy is increasing, but that doesn't necessarily mean the world will get better. We all have freedom of choice, and some choose to use the increased energy poorly.

People in power don't control us, they just try to. And those in power all have one trait in common; they want to be in power. So that tells you something about them.
As those in power appear to be moving toward one side or the other, it stirs up both sides, because both sides want power on their side. When those in power offer more freedom and don't favor either side, there will be more peace.
In the meantime, individuals can use increased spiritual energy for their own good, which is ultimately the best thing for the world anyway, and nobody in "power" can stop us. The more people turning inward there are, the less power rulers have. Eventually they will only control zombies...

Edited by - Etherfish on Aug 08 2013 11:18:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2013 :  06:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

quote:

quote:

Ha ha!

quote:

Hi All:

The guru is in you.

LOL. Yep, that's about right. It seems likes devotion is an all-or-nothing deal, or rather, a whole-hearted deal would be a better way of saying it. Just gotta go through what has to be gone through. The only place I know where to lay my head is in the hands of God.

Thanks for sharing the humor, Yogani, Shanti, mr. anderson, everyone...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000