Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Corpse Pose a Must?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2013 :  4:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I know that it is recommended that after our practice we end it with at least 5 minutes of laying down in the corpse pose. I can say that I have experienced the unease that happens when I don't.

Lately I have been doing breath meditation and instead of laying down I have been staying in my practice position and just basking in the silence. I have to say it feels really, really good.

Did I mention that it feels good :)

My quesiton is why does it feel so much better sitting up than laying down?

Most important, am I setting myself up by not ending my practice in the corpse pose? I have yet to experience anything negative by doing this but it is still early

Thank you for you guidance.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2013 :  5:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jonesboy,
No we end our practice by resting for 5-10 min in any position that's comfortable. Sitting or laying on ones side or laying on the bed or any other position that's comfortable is perfectly fine. I have never rested in corpse pose in the past 7 years of practice. Resting (comfortably) is important.

Here is what the lesson says:
http://www.aypsite.org/13.html
Do this procedure for twenty minutes, and, then, with your eyes closed, take a few minutes to rest before you get up.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2013 :  5:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh, your the best Shanti. Thank you.

Everytime I think I have a lesson down pat Yogani has a nugget thrown in there that I miss.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2013 :  6:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2013 :  6:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jonesboy,

Shanti is right that lesson 13 only says to take a few minutes of rest before getting up. But other places in the main lessons do refer to the importance of lying down such as lesson 387 on retreats:

"For two morning routines, the basic sequence of practices is asanas, pranayama, deep meditation, samyama (if doing it), rest (at least 10 minutes lying down) ... and then start over. In the evening only one routine should be done. This is three full routines of practice in a day." [yogani]

Even there it doesn't say lying in corpse pose, just lying down. That could include all sorts of positions.

Don't forget that breathing meditation is not as powerful as mantra meditation, so there is less need to stabilize and balance the energy in the body after a session of breathing meditation. So it is really your call if you feel the need to use savasana or not, or even lie down at all.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000