Kundalini Issues Not Related to the AYP System
 Spontaneous trance during Kundalini - Advice pleas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vibe

India
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  09:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Firstly, I want to say thank you to Yogani and so many of the contributors/guides on this website. Very often I come across posts by Yogani, Christie, Jim etc which somehow makes something in the heart center just relax with a smile and all becomes effortless again. As I try and bring more awareness into my life, these posts become pillars. A very heartfelt thank you.

To the request, I had a spontaneous kundalini awakening last year after my first meditation retreat and experienced a year filled with synchronicities, new talents and a love for the divine that was new yet ancient. I had absolutely no spiritual background previously.

Since the beginning of this year I started experiencing the gamut of Kundalini symptoms.

Although initially panicky everytime a new K symptom manifests, i have managed to understand the ' experience' better, with the help of kindred spirits such as those on the Ayp forums. However, I am still concerned about these trance states which sometimes occur spontaneously and sometimes in the middle of meditation. I don't know how to approach these states and whether to get immersed in them or to cut these states short while I still can. Should I surrender or keep working gently on building a robust vessel? I do know that when I have allowed myself to stay in this state, I feel groggy and dull for long afterwards. I have read on these forums that others have experienced these but could not find any more information on the attitude to approach them with. [FYI, I was hooked on weed for about 5 years before quitting about a year back which probably wouldnt have happened without the blessings of the divine mother]

I would be very grateful for any advice on these spontaneous trance states. My awakening history and sadhana in more detail below.

Much gratitude
VG

Asathoma Satgamaya
Thamasoma Jyotirgamaya
Mrityorma Amritamgamaya
Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi hi

My Spontaneous Awakening
I attended my first meditation (vipaasana) retreat in Feb 2012. Towards the end of the retreat I had an experience in which everything dissolved in tiny shimmering cells of the brightest light for a brief few moments. Since that incident the year became filled with amazing synchronicities as well as marvellous even mystical experiences while my travel seemed to take me to one religious city in India after another. My mind was clueless as to what was happening as I had no background in spirituality and no reference point at all. I had never expressed the least interest in spirituality at all. I now found myself in love with the divine. In some ways, I am very grateful it happened that way. In the last year so many addictions (including cigarettes, alcohol and marijuana) and so much negativity has dropped with such ease. It feels like i went from hell to heaven overnight.

I don't take these blessings lightly and realize that the real work has only now begun.

Kundalini Syndrome
Towards the end of last year, after some initial realizations, I joined a yoga class near home. From this January, I started experiencing all the typical Kundalini syndromes, physical, mental and emotional. I have since discontinued the classes. Earlier mild they have increased in frequency and intensity especially when I increase my sadhana. However, they are as yet manageable and I notice that cutting down on sadhana, grounding techniques like swimming and using techniques like AYP's spinal breathing helps significantly.

Sadhana

- Spinal breathing - 10 mins twice a day

- gentle Stretching yoga - 45 mins 3/4 times a week

- Zhang zhuan - 10 mins twice a day

Other meditation (any one - heart centered awareness/ So Hum/ Vipaasana/walking) - between 1 to 2 hours a day depending on K.

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  5:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Vibe and welcome to the forum,

Yes, it is fine to let yourself fall into trance during meditation. It is a part of the process. Having said that, if you are experiencing kundalini symptoms and are finding yourself going over the edge at times in terms of comfort then you may want to pace the amount of time you spend in trance states (samadhi). You seem to be aware of the problem so I am sure you can find a balance that works.

I notice that you are not doing Deep Meditation and are mixing practices from different traditions. That is also something you will have to be careful with in terms of kundalini as different combinations of practices will effect the energetic awakening differently.

If I were you I would decide upon one form of meditation and stick with it every day rather than having a selection to chose from. It makes it easier to go deeper into the higher states of consciousness.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Vibe

India
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  08:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi, that really helps create perspective. I am glad I decided to stop hiding and ask for help. It is very humbling to realize what you guys have created here.

I think I have been avoiding accepting these states as Samadhi experiences. Something in me kept saying I haven't invested the time and that these states were something to be vary of. Especially since there were a couple of instances when there was no awareness and it would almost be like I fell asleep spontaneously for a few minutes except that it wasn't sleep but more a loss of consciousness. The unconscious states haven't happened since I cut down on practice but I wanted to put it out there.

I truly appreciate the perspective on meditative energy. I am a complete newbie on energy matters, its just something I've never really been exposed to. Ive just been going with the flow without any real consideration of the long term. Satsangs with Mooji and meditating in Buddhist monasteries during K have helped me experience higher states of consciousness temporarily but don't create a stable platform. I guess its time for me to consider these matters more deeply. Any guidance or suggested reading recommendations?

I am very Vatta and its easy for me to be flighty. Moreover, it seems like I am sensitive to meditation. I am 36 now and i think focussing ( exercise and meditative) on healing/strengthening my core chakras will help in the long run. My previously abusive lifestyle resulted in various digestive disorders and although these issues have subsided greatly, I think bringing focus here for a while will help. Is this a good way of looking at things?

Also, I did try Deep Meditation but found that while very effective, it increased the pressure in my Ajna (which has been a challenge). Do you recommend DM while focusing the I AM jn my heart or belly? I was predominately meditating by placing my attention on the heart center (with/out self enquiry) till these states started occurring. I started mixing practices to avoid them and soothe my strained nervous system while retaining a steady practice.

Your seeing and guidance would be wonderful. If you sense any blind spots and darkness, do shine your light on them. Thanks, Christi ( and anyone else who wants to share)

Edited by - Vibe on Jun 05 2013 09:28:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  09:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Vibe,

Welcome to the forums!

Very beautiful sharing, thank you.

As you have discovered, DM is very powerful and hence it is not necessary to meditate for hours on end. If you are interested in trying it again, you may want to try Solar Centering described in this lesson: http://www.aypsite.org/368.html. Centering the mantra in the belly/solar plexus does help tremendously with ajna/sahasrara issues. Additionally, I would not recommend self-inquiry with DM (or any other meditation), particularly if it is a conscious effort. If you are drawn to it, working with inquiry outside of sitting practices may work better (during daily activities), or, in samyama using the sutra "I thought - who am I?" Here is the introductory lesson to samyama: http://aypsite.com/150.html

Regarding the trance or samadhi states - you may have not invested enough time in it in this lifetime. Samadhi or spiritual experiences have no set linear relationship to time. Some of us can practice for a whole lifetime without mystical experiences, while some simply drop into them. Purification in every case is happening exactly as it should. If you become aware of the trance state, it is no longer there, and the advise is to come back to the mantra. We neither shun nor get enamored by samadhi or any other states. Accept it all as part of the process..

In terms of reading material, I'd suggest going through the lessons here, either systematically or related to the questions you may have. In the links section of this website is an extended reading list as well..

True, vata can be exacerbated with sadhana. Best to adopt a vata pacifying diet and routine to aid your practices..

Hope this helps a bit.

Go to Top of Page

Vibe

India
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  09:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That helps a lot, Kami. Thanks for taking the time.

Let me put in some time doing Solar centering and samyama and I will come back to you with questions if that's ok.

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2013 :  01:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Vibe,

Here at AYP we have a saying - Less is more. I would suggest you do not add too many practices at once. If you're starting with DM, give it some time to settle before adding anything else. It is a very powerful practice.

Good luck

Sey

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000