Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Are all breath meditations the same?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boris

Norway
68 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  6:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit boris's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am curious what kind of breath meditation people here use?
And does the different types produce the same results.Imo focusing on the nostrils is "nose meditation" and the same goes with focusing on the belly.Imo there is only one way to do breath meditation,and that is to observe the natural breath and not concentrating on feelings of the air or any other sensations.just observing the inhalation,exhalation and the pause between.off course this is only my personal opinion,but I am curious about what other people here have experience.Especially what Christi and Sparkle thinks,since I know they have done a lot of breath meditation ;)

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  6:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Boris,

I often get asked how to practice breathing meditation so I put a guide to the practice on my website. It is here:

Breathing meditation

I mentioned there some of the different ways in which you can place your attention when using the breath as a meditation object. It is quite a personal thing. One aspect of it is that people who find that they are often caught up with thought during meditation can find it easier to place the attention lower down in the body, observing the inflow and outflow of the breath there. It helps to take the attention away from the thought streams. Yogani recommended a similar thing with the solar enhancement as an aspect of mantra meditation. If the mind is quiet, then we can observe the breath at the nostrils as it makes the practice more powerful. So there isn't really a "correct method". It depends on the person, on what is more natural for them and on the state of the mind.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000