Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Open eyes with dot on wall with Mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marrkuss

Croatia
2 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  10:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi
When I do the I Am meditation, I do it with eyes open focusing on a black dot on the wall. I find that it helps calm my mind and to have better focus.My question is,
By doing this, do you think that I am altering what Yogani has taught because I am essentially just doing the I Am meditation with some directed attention.
What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance!

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  12:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Marrkuss,

there are many approaches to meditation, with no one any less valid than any other. The classic text Vijnana Bhairava is just one example that covers a great deal of them as to both inspire confidence and to allow the practitioner to choose something that best fits their temperament.

More specific to your question, if you are deliberately modifying the procedure of deep meditation in any way at all outside of the clear instructions found in the books and lessons, then it is no longer valid to say you are doing AYP deep meditation but instead your own form. The distinction is most important, and the lessons simply remind us that an eclectic practice is fine given the open-source nature of the path presented, although it then becomes the practitioner's own experiment.

Also see if the reply here helps with your question, which comes out of the support forum posts of Yogani ebook.

AYP in my understanding makes use of the transitions between going deeply inward (practices) and outward (daily life) for a number of reasons well-explained in the lessons: eg. stability (opening & grounding), leveraging principles of subtle neuroanatomy to integrate otherwise monastic/hermetic/ascetic practices to include as many lifestyle arrangements as possible, removing obstructions as to yield to knowledge/jnana and 'ecstatic living,' and so on.

This parallels a Shaivite approach called krama mudra, where in the words of Swami Shankarananda, "the mind swings from the inner to the outer world and back again; doing this, the two worlds are married in Consciousness, outer objects are filled with the energy of Self, and the inner world is seen to include everything; both atma vyapti and Shiva vyapti are necessary."

Welcome to the forums!
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  7:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Marrkuss,
As Aum said, once you alter the practice, you are no longer doing the AYP deep meditation procedure, but something else. You say that the eyes-open, staring at a dot on the wall helps you to focus. However, focus IS NOT the goal of our system of Deep Meditation! Focus involves not meditation, but either Concentration or Contemplation, which are certainly useful practices, but are certainly NOT our system of meditation. In my 40+ years of deep meditation practice and 35+ years teaching meditation, I have found that following the specific technique exactly is what gives the most consistent and rapid progress toward the REAL goal, Self-Realization.
Michael
Go to Top of Page

marrkuss

Croatia
2 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  10:52:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your advice
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000