Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Increasing Flexibility for Perfect Asanas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nasasaya

USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  2:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nasasaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Does the Booklet on Asanas give definite instructions for increasing the flexibility of ones body to eventually be able to sit in full Lotus and do other Asanas in perfect posture, or is it mainly focused on showing different Asanas that allow for the most prana 'conductivity', or what? I haven't read that book yet.
I want to be able to Sit in full Lotus without back pain, and to do forward bends touching my belly to my thighs and chin to my shins. I need a well-rounded yoga practice so that i can sit comfortably in meditation on the flat ground for long periods of time.
Does anyone know of any manuals that i could read to learn to transform my posture and flexibility persistently over time. I don't really believe in Bikram Yoga it sounds too invasive. and I've been called to Ashtanga Yoga, but i would rather not have to travel somewhere to find a good teacher.

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  4:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is a very good method, and you can learn by DVD or booklet.
It is not a specific asana routine, rather it is for flexibility:

http://www.yogabodynaturals.com/gra...oga-freebie/
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  7:48:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forums nasasaya!....I recommend Erich Shiffmanns books and videos .... His video on lotus helped me tremendously...

I'm über flexible now....my advice is take it slow ...never push to where it hurts...but a little discomfort can be a good thing...
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  01:25:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Iyengar style yoga is in my opinion the most intelligent and sophisticated system for mastering asana. This also includes a number of his students who have gone on to start their own systems.
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  12:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Machart for the recommendation.

I've been looking for a good asana book.

Erich Shiffmann's "Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness" has about the best reviews I've ever seen on Amazon for any product.

Just bought the Kindle version for my desktop pc and will start working on some of my posture kinks.

Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  09:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Victor

Iyengar style yoga is in my opinion the most intelligent and sophisticated system for mastering asana.

Iyengar is very precise, and even people practicing other systems learn faster when they leverage his big picture (asana, pranayama, meditation and relaxation, diet etc. - he explained the eight limbs of yoga very clearly in his "asana bible", Light on Yoga; the only path it skipped was the tantric path, unfortunately ) Taking it back to the forward bends in the initial post above, it's esential to have all the necessary pieces in place: breathing, bandhas, diet, and not least daily backward bends (those become difficult as we grow up, so self pacing is necessary, but that's not a reason to omit them - the spine still needs them; practicing mostly/only forward bends presses the discs too close to the nerves, which gradually leads to pain and injuries). If you want the spine to stay young, do it the kids' way: bend backward.

Forward bends are first and foremost about coming forward, not down. Here's a brief video on Paschimottanasana, for example (remember what she says w.r.t. self pacing, and about her heart region aiming at her toes - not down):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umlVLoDHp7c

Some really good Sivananda teachers take their bends of the arms all the way forward to the toes, and bearthe there for a while, before going down to the final position of this video sometimes (and sometimes, just stay at the toes, breathing).

Go to Top of Page

Nasasaya

USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 31 2013 :  5:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nasasaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the the guidance. I'll be looking into these paths.
Any other suggestions will be much appreciated
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000