Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 The Desire to ..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - May 06 2013 :  10:42:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
It seems to me and I can only speak for myself that Yoga is so far a lonely path. Maybe it is just me. I read about Yoga and Vedanta through out the day. Yet when it is time to do Yoga I lose the desire. Weekends seem to be the toughest time. I might skip a practice or a day all due to bad habits and laziness. Even thou I am getting results.

Everyone I talk to and I try NOT to talk about it ( we all know how tough that is) thinks I am crazy.

Does anyone mind sharing their stuggles with the practice and a religion that makes total sence to me but to others you just seem crazy.

rce

USA
50 Posts

Posted - May 06 2013 :  8:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit rce's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with jonesboy that yoga can be a lonely path. This site helps a lot, but I wish I knew some places to connect in person with like minded people. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  04:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
you might find this lesson useful
http://www.aypsite.org/392.html
Go to Top of Page

rce

USA
50 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  09:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit rce's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks maheswari.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  10:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I did and thank you. A lot of arrows so to speak have been pointing at self inquiry.. How soon should one start self inquiry?
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  12:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jonesboy, Yogani in lesson 349 says:

"Self-inquiry is a practice that is entirely dependent on the degree of abiding inner silence (witness) we have available at any point in time. With a sound daily practice of deep meditation in use, inner silence will be steadily on the rise, and, with it, our ability for effective self-inquiry."

Then in lesson 351 he gives the option of adding a self-inquiry sutra to the end of the samyama list. I just started using it this morning. Then if that's working good we can add other self-inquiry stuff during the day.

Edited by - BillinL.A. on May 07 2013 12:54:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  2:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jonesboy,
It is not just you, it can be a lonely path. Keep sticking to the practices and eventually you are going to realize that you are connected to everyone and not alone at all. As for talking about it, your way of seeing is different from who you're talking to, so it may seem crazy to you, but quite normal for them not to understand. When it comes to self-inquiry, I'd advise to let it happen as the witness emerges, otherwise its just mind playing games with the mind. Trust me, you cannot escape self-inquiry, it will automatically happen when you are ready.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  2:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you BillinL.A.

I remind myself of a little kid, full steam ahead without looking up to see the wall ahead of me.

I just have to keep telling myself. Patience young jedi, patience.

But it does raise a question. I see this alot. People doing SB, DB and Samyama.
Is it ok to add Samyama before one has added Siddhasana or Yoni Mudra? Maybe it is my military background where I think I have to go in order, step by step.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  2:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your right ak33. I have been telling myself this alot lately. Don't worry. Just do the practice and the path will open before you. I don't have to start cutting down the bushes in the hope I will find it.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  3:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Is it ok to add Samyama before one has added Siddhasana or Yoni Mudra?

yes it is ok
first make sure that your current practices are well established and that you feel you have some degree of inner silence then you can add samyama

but first things first….meaning you start with core samyama as per lesson
http://www.aypsite.org/150.html

then after some time (maybe weeks , months or even more) you add the self enquiry sutra in samayma as per lesson
http://www.aypsite.org/351.html

we don’t want to rush things :)
TGIIY
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  3:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Then if that's working good we can add other self-inquiry stuff during the day.

In AYP we dont really do any spiritual practices nor self inquiry during the day....inquiry might appear spontaneously during the day that is fine, but we dont force it,we dont practice it
during the day we just completely engage ourselves in our normal daily activities
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  3:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Perfect. Thank you, I have been going crazy not asking that question over the last month..
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  3:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I have been going crazy not asking that question over the last month..

well that is the purpose of the forums...to ask questions
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  4:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  5:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, thanks Maheswari.

quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

quote:
Then if that's working good we can add other self-inquiry stuff during the day.

In AYP we dont really do any spiritual practices nor self inquiry during the day....inquiry might appear spontaneously during the day that is fine, but we dont force it,we dont practice it
during the day we just completely engage ourselves in our normal daily activities

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000