Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Is Overloading = Serotonin Shock Syndrome?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2013 :  8:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So I've been wondering lately about how to reduce the uncomfortable overloading symptoms without having to reduce my practices....And I'm thinking it has something to do with serotonin...

It is common knowledge that meditation increases serotonin levels, there has already been much research on it.

So perhaps too much meditation creates too much serotonin and thus leads to serotonin shock syndrome? Maybe over-sensitive meditators already have a lot of naturally occuring serotonin?

Symptoms of serotonin shock syndrome:

* Sudden jerky or shock-like movements
* Flushing or paleness
* Slow or fast pulse
* Fever
* Headache
* Anxiety
* Muscle rigidity
* Confusion
* Restlessness
* Profuse sweating
* Tremor
* Poor coordination
* Rapid breathing
* Irregular heartbeat
* High blood pressure
* Shivering

(I also get a bitter taste in my mouth when overloading, don't know if that's related or if it's just a side effect of too much purification and detoxing....)

What do you all think about this?

Namaste,

Jessica

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2013 :  10:31:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jessica

One of the most effective grounding practices that I know of is called the "roots" method in Reiki. A couple of years ago, I experienced some symptoms of overloading. Adjustments to diet and physical activity were not sufficient to balance in my case. I added the roots method to the beginning of practices and the results were fantastic. I would highly recommend it. It is pretty common in Reiki...if you do a web search, it will probably bring up many results with instructions for it. There are some variations.

My preference is to begin with drawing senses inward and feeling the energy body. Feel love and gratitude in the heart for Mother Nature and rest here. Feel the root chakra, the energy drawing down through the root & into the legs, feet, and Earth... like the roots of a tree.

Regarding serotonin, etc., I'm not sure, but the website www.biologyofkundalini.com has some good info regarding practices, kundalini, etc., relative to biological processes. You might find something useful there.

Namaste

Edited by - chas on Apr 29 2013 11:02:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2013 :  11:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jessica,

In short, no, energetic overload is not serotonin syndrome. I've had serotonin syndrome numerous times by accidentally overdosing on 5-HTP pills when preparing for a night of MDMA usage and I can guarantee you that energy overload is for sure not this. Serotonin syndrome has a very specific feeling and it is very quickly metabolized by the body so it doesn't last very long. Energy overload can last for months if not longer if someone really overdoes their practices.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  1:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chas (I remember you from the Michigan retreat last year! Hope you have been doing well...)

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried that method a few times- it doesn't have much of an effect on me - however I only tried it for a few minutes, so I'll try it for longer and see what happens...

CarsonZi,

Thanks for letting me know this. I thought I was on to something there, I guess not lol... I've been overloading on and off for I'd say the last 2 months. Nothing too extreme. And I haven't been overdoing practices at all, a few rounds of SBP and 20 minutes once a day sends me into uncomfortable symptoms. I feel fine if I do 10 minutes of DM once in a while when I feel an inner calling... The last 6 months or so have been quite turbulent with a lot of changes so hopefully when my life settles I can start a regular schedule again...

Thanks everyone and namaste,

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

adinatha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  3:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Hi Jessica,

In short, no, energetic overload is not serotonin syndrome. I've had serotonin syndrome numerous times by accidentally overdosing on 5-HTP pills when preparing for a night of MDMA usage and I can guarantee you that energy overload is for sure not this. Serotonin syndrome has a very specific feeling and it is very quickly metabolized by the body so it doesn't last very long. Energy overload can last for months if not longer if someone really overdoes their practices.

Love,
Carson

You don't know that. You are only speaking on a limited range of experience. Syndromes can vary in duration, intensity, etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000