Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Should we pick flowers?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arman

Australia
47 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  11:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Should we pick flowers?

This question is for fun and thought provocation.

Should we pick flowers? I was meditating today and saw a dandelion and had the urge to pick it but then I began to wonder...

If one should minimize harm, is picking a flower not cutting off its life force and thus causing harm? I'm not sure how the reproductive cycle of most flowers work, so perhaps picking them aids their growth in some sense, but if it doesn't, would it be undesirable to pick a flower just to appreciate it? Is that not in a sense grasping? I see yogis decorated in flowers all the time. I wonder if a "true yogi" would pick a flower. I don't think so because it would just be a desire and desires are undesirable . I think perhaps they dont mind being decorated in flowers because they've already picked by others so its no use resisting. Is it ok to pick a flower because it is inherant in our human nature? But is not fighting also human nature? Does the flowers transmutation into love within us through the sensory experience make it a worthy trade and justify its disconnection to the earth? Was it not a pure expression of love in the first place? Perhaps its life force is only gone in one sense but turns into something else, or something greater?

When I reached the silence inside me, I could not justify picking the flower, but I did lean over to blow the seeds around since I guess that means more will grow, but mostly because it means I get a wish.

Thanks for reading. If you have any thoughts, I'd like to hear them.

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  02:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Arman
your post made me smile and remember this story....my ishta is Swami Chidananda (Divine Life Society) ...and as you know in India, Gurus and Saints are always welcomed with throwing out flowers in big quantities on the road etc....Swamiji refused this to be done for him
Yet on some occasions He would accept garlands of flowers and he would even pick one flower and give it to a devotee
so there are no rules....yet why waste flowers by throwing them on the road here and there?...just follow your inner call
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000