AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Mind's another trick--"self-pacing"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  10:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

a thought came across as I answered a question about the difference between "bakhti and attachment"....I was astounded by the question...the questioner has been avoiding group practices, retreats for a while, and seems to be obssessed with analysis of symptoms of purification...

so, suddenly I can see how mind can take a good-thing-in-itself and turn it around£º the idea of "self-pacing" can be twisted by the mind as an bright excuse to indulge in controling,managing, security, or avoidance of opening...similarly, the guru is in me, can be distorted by the mind as a an ground excuse to not to surrender....not refuse to take the "criticism" from outside...and similarly, whenever the voice "I got it" flashes, we lost it, as the voice is the voice of the mind only...

the mind's ability to slip in from the back door is marvelous, and only daily DM and samyama and other practices can help to see it more clearly over loooooong period of time...

just a thought to share.

Phil

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  11:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Phil,

Thank you for sharing your wisdom. Yes, this is also my experience. Whether it is self-pacing or surrender or anything else, honesty with oneself is critical. It is the willingness to see, no matter what the cost, that makes recognizing these things possible. And you are so right.. The moment "I got it" flashes through, the "it" is lost.

Hope you are well.

Much love to you.
Go to Top of Page

Zanyan

USA
54 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  3:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I need to introduce myself on the proper thread, but I wanted to respond to this . Yes, Phil, the mind wants very much to be in control and stay in control and will do and say all kinds of things to keep it's position as the boss in tact. It's wondrous in its own right.

I do have one observation as well. It seems to me that if "I got it" flashes, that is just the mind doing its thing and is another thought passing through. The arising, passing through and fading away of "I got it" is just another experience. That's not the problem. The problem comes if/when we believe that thought, grasp it, and create a concept of "oneself" around the thought, for example: "I am a person who now "has it."" Uh oh. Now we truly have lost it!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  8:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zanyan

The arising, passing through and fading away of "I got it" is just another experience. That's not the problem. The problem comes if/when we believe that thought, grasp it, and create a concept of "oneself" around the thought, for example: "I am a person who now "has it."" Uh oh. Now we truly have lost it!

Look very forward to your introductory post Zanyan!
Welcome to the AYP forums!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000