AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Healing with Samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  10:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all!

I've been meditating since one year and a half ago and Samyama for five months.
Actually,one of my main reasons for starting yoga practices was healing myself.In addition to my polio on my right leg,I've had stutter since my childhood.

As i'm practicing deep meditation my stutter hasn't gone,but as I've got calmer i can tolerate and control it(to some extent) better than before.

Is it possible to heal these two problems with Samyama?especially my polio it has had big effect on my life and also stutter i think my polio makes it worse.

thanks

P.S.I've registered on AYP weekly Meditation and Healing Samyama Last year

Edited by - angeleeyes on Mar 24 2013 03:49:54 AM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  11:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Angeleeyes (love the name )

Yes, you can do samyama on both, or the health sutra will cover them both in my experience. Many times a physical disability may be due to some deep seated blocks and working with sutras that focuses on a certain aspect/symptom may take longer than allowing inner silence show you what to work with.
But you can definitely add both of them as additional sutras, just stay open to them changing and refining to what you may actually need.

Do you do spinal breathing?
Go to Top of Page

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  12:18:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti!
thanks a lot
yes I do.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  12:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have asked someone to write a bit about his experience with healing and practices. His legs were severely damaged and over time he says they have improved. He may write his experience here or email you. Hopefully his input will help.

Wish you all the best!

I will keep you in my prayers.
Go to Top of Page

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  12:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's kind of you I really appreciate your help
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  11:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Angeleeyes and Shanti,

So here comes the "someone" to share his experience

3 years of ayp has greatly improved the conditions of these legs, especially the right one, and I'm very grateful to that.

Usually a "bad" condition in a physical body causes the mind to lose its balance, pining away in self-pity or anger or other negative feelings that might arise. The DM can help you to see, gradually, that these feelings, like any other things, come to go. And you'll also feel less attached to, bound in the physical body, that's liberation from your physical condition on the fundamental level. And if meditation and samyama continues, this will rise.

That said, you will find that your condition, like the condition here, i.e., myelitis, will be gradually but steadily improved by spinal breathing, mudras, bandhas and kumbakhas, all the shakti practices. AYP is espcially good in this because it focuses on the spinal nerve, which I think to be the major blockage that causes the leg conditions, which are fudamentally a nerve issue. So the suggestions here is not to direct the healing process with your mind, but let it happen naturally---the body only knows to heal, and it knows how much better than our minds...
So what we can do is practicing ayp as a normal (which we indeed are) person, and let the healing occur. Perhaps the moment when you completely "forget about" your leg condition, you might find it healed all of a sudden---yet not with so much joy, just a smile of gratitude and your forget about even this, too....

sending healing wishes and love to you, Angeleeyes.

Go to Top of Page

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  03:40:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pheel,

Thank you so much for your sharing and your kindness.

Could you tell more about your legs conditions now and before?My right leg is 6cm smaller than the left one and also weaker.I use a brace for walking.Was your legs condition like mine?

I'm wondering can it grow and be strong same as the healthy one by Samyama. sometimes i think it can but much more inner silence is required.

Edited by - angeleeyes on Mar 24 2013 04:21:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  07:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Angeleeyes,
you may already know this, but make sure you don't intentionally use any negative words in samyama (if they just come out on their own it's OK).
So you don't want to use the word polio, or stuttering for instance. Just words that put the picture in your mind that they are gone, like health, perfect speech, or make up your own positives. Also, if you can generate the feeling that they are gone it helps. Best of luck.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  11:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Hi Angeleeyes,
you may already know this, but make sure you don't intentionally use any negative words in samyama (if they just come out on their own it's OK).
So you don't want to use the word polio, or stuttering for instance. Just words that put the picture in your mind that they are gone, like health, perfect speech, or make up your own positives. Also, if you can generate the feeling that they are gone it helps. Best of luck.

Hi Ether and Angeleeyes:

Actually, "samyama on obstructions" is a legitimate practice, particularly during normal daily activity when negative thoughts may be habitually coming up, and we have a choice on whether to focus on (cling to) them with expectations, or release them in stillness. The former, which also includes trying to push them out, is binding, while the latter (releasing in stillness) is liberating.

Here are a couple of lessons on this:

Witnessing versus Focused Attention to Dissolve Obstructions: http://www.aypsite.org/372.html

Samyama and Prayer for Dissolving Global Problems (can be used for personal problems also): http://www.aypsite.org/415.html

We are not obliged to be doing structured samyama on "polio," "stuttering," etc., but when these thoughts and associated sensations/symptoms come into our awareness, we can allow them by releasing in stillness/witness, rather than attempting to manipulate them in some way with expectations, etc. Of course, the prerequisite is cultivation of inner silence, the witness, so it always gets back to our daily meditation.

We actually covered this principle very early in the lessons (see Lesson 15). When there is an overwhelming thought or sensation of restlessness during meditation that makes returning to the mantra a strain, we can just be with the sensation for a few minutes without any attempt to manipulate it. We will often find that the attention is drawn naturally to a sensation in the body, and that the simple releasing of the sensation in innocent awareness (stillness/witness) will allow it to unwind. And then we can continue with our meditation without any strain. This simple procedure for dealing with obstructions that may overwhelm us during meditation is a precursor to samyama, which we cover in much more detail later on.

So we do not have to make extra efforts to avoid or shut out any particular thought or feeling. This is counterproductive to the process of yoga. We can simply allow "what is," and let it go in stillness. Then it will naturally dissolve and no longer be an obstruction. If we have a chronic condition or illness, it could take time, but at the least we will gradually become free from identification and attachment to the condition. That is liberation, with or without the external manifestation of a perfect physique, or a perfect world. Divine love will flow through whatever vehicle we are blessed to have on this earth.

This is the secret behind healing with samyama, whether we are using structured practice, or doing it as a cultivated habit while engaged in daily activity. Either way, it is the road to healing and freedom, whether our body/mind is behaving according to expectations or not. All is perfect in stillness, and stillness in action is perfect also. All that is necessary is to cultivate abiding inner silence and participate fully in allowing life to happen in it. This is what deep meditation and samyama are for. The individual can be healed from within in this way, and so can the world.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  11:58:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ether and Yogani,

really appreciate your help

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000