Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Some questions about finger mudras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kosmoleo

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  12:05:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
What's up, I am kind of new to studying yoga and I am fascinated by mudras and beginning to study them very seriously and I have a bunch of good questions about them. Firstly I have read that the five elements are each related to one of the fingers. Most teachings say the thumb is related to fire, the forefinger to air, the middle to space or ether, the ring finger to earth and the little finger to was water. Yet I'm sure I read another teaching which related the forefinger to water and the little finger to air. Can someone with knowledge please clarify which teaching is correct, and why would there be another variation...?

Next is a few questions about specific details of practice I can't seem to find clarified in any teaching I've read. Most teachings suggest beginning with twenty to thirty minutes a day practicing a given mudra. Does that have to be in one sitting or can it be done at different times throughout the day with same total effect...? Also if you practice the mudra with both hands at the same time, is the effect increased or is it there same. Thanks for any knowledgeable replies. mudras

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  12:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Kosmoleo,

Welcome to the Forums.

The benefits of Yoga lie in practicing it rather than studying it and there are many different branches of Yoga. Yoga is essentially a spiritual practice and looking at it from that angle, spiritual transformation will not progress effectively and efficiently by just touching any combination of your fingers together. A lot more has to happen. If you are truly interested, I recommend that you start with the Lessons right here.

http://www.aypsite.org/10.html

There are tons of information on this site.

Good luck

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Kosmoleo

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  03:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Sey, thanks for your reply. I am not just studying, I have been practicing asanas and mantra and breathing meditations for a few years already and am beginning to study pranayama and mudras as well, that is really why I am looking for answers to these specific questions about the instructions of mudra practice, and about their relationship to the classical teachings about the five elements.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  09:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't really comment on any knowledge re: the relationship of individual fingers to various elements, but Yogani does briefly mention the effect of "closing the circuit" when the thumb is joined to the index or middle finger. The prana is conserved and flows through the entire body.

After experimenting with various hand mudras during meditation, the one that feels most natural and comfortable for me is a version of the "cosmic mudra"...which is the left hand resting on the right hand, with palms up and thumbs lightly touching. I alter it a little bit sometimes (interlacing fingers or increasing distance between the thumbs). Sometimes I can feel it definitely affect the flow in my heart.

The hands and fingers are definitely connected to the rest of the body (and elements, I imagine). When approaching things like hand mudras (or sitting postures) I just silently ask the question: What will help me easily abide in inner silence?...and then release the question into stillness. So, the choice comes from the principle of form follows function, rather than trying to force a mudra or posture when the flow is not ready. I have always found it most effective to be comfortable first, and then let the other fine tuning adjustments evolve and arise organically--from within.
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  10:05:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kosmoleo, I never gave much thought to mudras until the last few months - I've gotten to a point in my energy/spiritual practice where my hands are starting to form mudras spontaneously during my practice (!) I'm considering getting a book to help me figure out what's going on...

Here's a listing of a few books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ywords=mudra

Best of luck to you :-)
Go to Top of Page

Goodway

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  10:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I use the shuni mudra, quite commonly, to close in my energy. It comes about quite naturally. Usually, in accord with Bodhi's philosophy, it is not a mudra that I force, but rather one that places my energy so that I feel more comfortable with the world and myself. A mudra could be "forced" when one feels that one needs to make personal changes, but the discomfort with certain mudras may also indicate that they are not mudras that naturally satisfy one's own need for solace or such other positive feelings.

I use other mudras, but some are integrated into my personal behavior, while others stand out. The cincihna mudra is one that I sometimes use and sometimes spontaneously arises during conversation. It does help me remain understanding of others. Both mudras help me remain patient within the moment by circulating my personal energy.

I do not spend much time with them because I take a particular philosophy towards life in letting nature be a guide, to a certain extent. All kinds of body gestures create and display energies, and just like teaching a mouth to speak well, we can teach a body to do the same.

I try not to get to obsessed with every little thing that there is to learn in life, so mudras have fallen onto the lower part of my personal list of things to understand. Thrust under a mountain of things to learn, there are only so many things that one may choose.

It is also quite common for Westerners to use the shuni mudra because we commonly use the middle finger for a sign of, well.. you know what.

Edited by - Goodway on Feb 28 2013 10:53:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  02:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Kosmoleo,

Apologies for the misunderstanding. At AYP, little emphasis is put on hand mudras. BodhiTree has already mentioned closing the circuit method below.

Good luck in your research

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Kosmoleo

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  08:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For other people who are interested I also found this really good article which gives a good breakdown of the real science behind mudra practice...

http://yogaortega.wordpress.com/200...yoga-mudras/
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  12:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting post!

I know when I have excess energy and I go into what I call my spontaneous "shakti dance" my hands move into all sorts of mudras. I've been looking into them out of sheer curiosity. Gyan mudra is a common one of course, and I can definitely relate to it as "closing a circuit" in the body, but there are others I can't find the names or meanings of. One that resembles "karana mudra" (the same except for with the thumb over the middle and ring fingers) shoots the energy up and causes automatic sambhavi.The funny thing is my friend, who started having energy symptoms after being around me, also started going into almost this same form of "shakti dance", and had a dream regarding this same mudra.

I would love to find out more about how the hand mudras effect the nervous system and subtle energy pathways.

Namaste!

Jessica

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000