Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Longivity?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  08:35:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Can Yogasanas help maintain ageless body till death?

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  09:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe: no, not in the strict sense. But better general health and reduced stress can certainly slow down the aging process, so you look and feel younger than you are.

There's nothing mysterious or mystical about it as far as I am concerned. There is a constant dynamic between the processes of degeneration in our bodies and the processes of renewal. As we get older, the renewal processes become gradually disempowered. Yoga gives the renewal processes (especially deeper sleep) an important boost and keeps us 'younger' than we would otherwise be.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jun 30 2006 09:55:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  11:00:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For ageless body we may look forward to the breakthrough in stem cell research. The research shows promising results for degenerative diseases such as heart failure. If we master the techiques much of the current degenerative may be curable. Although I doubt whether we can live forever then. There may be some more fundamental reasons for aging and dying. But at least there are no scientific theories which limit our possible age. We may be able to live forever one day. (I don't mean this is good.)

Contrary to the claims of many Christians and those who wants to mystify life, life does not violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics. And living forever won't violate that. "Forever" here means until the environment change violently. Certainly our earth will be too hot to live one day.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  9:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Why would you say it will be too hot? Doesn't the temperature cycle cooler and warmer according to polar ice samples? Then eventually, I would think too cold as the sun dies out.

But there are everyday things we can do to greatly increase our longevity. Stress is a primary factor. Meditation cures that.
Stay away from UV rays most of the time.

Dehydration is major. Drink at least two liters per day of *water*, not soda, tea, coffee, etc. Modern society is inundated with diuretics that dry us out, and only water cures it. Coffee, tea, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, salt, drugs, weight loss supplements, and on and on, are all diuretics and dry us out.
this makes us susceptible to all kinds of ailments and wrinkling that we think is normal aging.
Water flushes out liquid toxins, and eating fresh greens flushes out solid toxins, and makes us live longer, and have robust immune systems.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  01:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some people say that, others don't agree that the water has to be pure and I tend to fall on their side. The fluids drunk don't have to be pure to be hydrating (meaning adding water to the body). Herbal teas and all sorts of drinks (including fruit juice) are hydrating, including if they have some salt but not too much. It's true that caffeine is a diuretic (and so is alcohol) and sugar you might want to avoid for other reasons.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jul 01 2006 01:21:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  01:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Why would you say it will be too hot? Doesn't the temperature cycle cooler and warmer according to polar ice samples? Then eventually, I would think too cold as the sun dies out.

Before the sun dies out, it will become hotter and hotter and finally engulf the earth. If we fail to have technological breakthrough by then and leave the earth, we'll all be heated to death long before the sun dies out!! And by the time the sun dies out, the earth has already disappeared! Good luck, yogis!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  10:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alvin wrote:
"Before the sun dies out, it will become hotter and hotter and finally engulf the earth"

Do you have a reference for that? thanks.

David wrote:
"Some people say that, others don't agree that the water has to be pure and I tend to fall on their side. The fluids drunk don't have to be pure to be hydrating (meaning adding water to the body)."

No, water doesn't have to be pure to hydrate the body. I usually just say that as a rule of thumb because of the modern alternatives to water. But what you drink has to not be a diuretic for it to hydrate you well. Almost everything people drink other than water works against hydration because of diuretic properties. Sugar is a diuretic, artificial sugar is, caffeine, msg, salt, alcohol, spices. Of course we need a little salt, so electrolyte drinks are OK in moderation. But try walking into a convenience store and finding a drink that doesn't have a diuretic in it. Even juices have sugar or corn syrup added. Your only choice is water or gatorade.
So most people would grab a soda when they are thirsty, but in order to properly hydrate, they'd have to drink a glass of water after the soda.
If you're a health freak, you may drink tea without caffeine like herbal, or pure juice that's not sweet. Even most fruit juices have been bred to be sweet, and so act as a diuretic.
The problem is cumulative, so people don't realize it. you can prove it to yourself though. if you drink a minimum of two liters per day, spread out the entire day, only small sips, any water you gulp down doesn't count toward the two liters.
Do this for a couple months and you will notice you are healthier to the point that it is visible when looking at your skin, digestion is better, immune system is better, little ailments go away.
If you're already a health freak you may not notice anything, but most people will. Interesting thing is modern drinks have thrown our sense of thirst off. After a couple days of sipping water, you'll notice your thirst comes back, and you actually need water that often. Then after a few weeks it subsides somewhat as most liquid toxins have been flushed out.

Edited by - Etherfish on Jul 01 2006 9:01:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  10:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Alvin wrote:
"Before the sun dies out, it will become hotter and hotter and finally engulf the earth"

Do you have a reference for that? thanks.

Try googling it out by the keywords "Stellar Evolution". Not sure if you can get it. Try looking at the more credible source.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  9:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great Alvin,
i found a nasa site on that. It says the sun will get a lot cooler, not hotter, down to 6000F degrees and the outer hydrogen layer will engulf the earth. Ha ha just kidding, it's the same as getting hotter because of the enlargement and one to ten thousand times brighter as it changes from "burning" hydrogen to helium.
Can't tell from their wording if it happens in one or 5 billion years. They say "The sun is now 4.5 billion years old and the change will happen in 5.5 billion years." i'm starting to worry in case I live to be a billion.
But also as it does this it becomes a red giant star, and there's some strobe light effects, so it should be cool we'll just live underground and dance.
I know we're not supposed to post links, but this is way off topic?? click here
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  11:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Woo, Ether, you are a serious reader!

It is off topic, but the fact that the universe(not just our solar system) has a beginning and an end (either shrinking or expanding and cooling off finally) is a bolt to the idea that we can continue our life forever, either within the same body or "in the next life". At least not in THIS universe, or not in this universe cycle

Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  05:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I once emailed Yogani and asked "I read once you wrote that more & more ppl are turning to yoga, and the enlightenment of one person affects others too, etc. Lets say 50000 years from now every soul on earth is enlightened through yogic practices. Then after that, what will be the destiny? I mean what next?
I also read that enlightened souls take rebirth cycle as a conscious choice, to help others. (though I can't possibly comprehend why anyone would not want to be reborn indefinitely). If there is no more work to do what would they do?
And if a really big comet falls on earth & wipes out human race, then what would we have really achieved, even though we collectively worked hard & helped one another to get enlightened through the ages?"

He replied :
The short answer is that there are an unlimited number of forming souls coming up through matter, all which have to go through the same process we are. It is a continuum of pure bliss consciousness evolving toward diverse individuation and then back to unity in self realization.

If the earth blows up, it will continue in the innumerable other places where it is happening. The earth is a special place, but not unique. Evolution proceeds everywhere in the universe. It is inherent in all of creation, not only in the earth. So there is plenty to do for an eternity, and the work of helping each other will not come to an end.

Glad to hear you are thinking ahead. Remember, it all boils down to the practices we are doing today. That is when evolution is at its best -- when we are unfolding pure bliss consciousness and ecstatic conductivity within ourselves today, tomorrow, and every day we we find ourselves in this sacred temple, our nervous system. Let's not waste a minute...

I'm not very happy with this reply but putting here since the discussion of endtimes came up.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  11:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, "endtimes" and evolution of the universe are kinda at odds with each other. . .the former is supposedly soon, the latter billions of years in the future. . .

All we understand in this body is a carbon based existence, earth temperatures, oxygen, food.

There is much more even in the percievable universe. Try imagining the life of a single celled organism; a crustacean living in darkness near an undersea volcanic vent; a penguin surviving 80 degrees below zero every year; a virus living inside someone's body. And those are all known entities.

The consciousness and lifeforce of God that is the basis of us all isn't dependent upon any conditions whatsoever. I bet there are worlds that would make our blood run cold if we could perceive the existence of consciousness there.
Go to Top of Page

sethieboy

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  7:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit sethieboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
According to the Bihar school of Yoga book, "Asana, Pranayama, Mudra" the Scorpion pose reverses the aging process. The Shiva Purana, volume three lists a bunch of methods including kechari mudra and sheetali pranayama.

love,

Sethieboy
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  12:41:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sethieboy. Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  03:30:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well all extreme scenarios aside about the eventual heating or cooling of the earth in the next several million years endangering our longevity I will have to say that in my understanding that pranayama and meditation both can significantly benefit youthfulness and longevity. In my case I have been frequently told that people are surprised that I am as old as I am and while not in old age I am not a teenager either. Now if you look at accomplished well known yogis i have 3 that come to mind. Krishnamacharya lived to the age of 100, Iyengar is now 86 or 87 I beleive and I have seen photos of him doing postures last year that I can only dream about and Patabhi Jois is a few years older than Iyengar and still teaching from what I have heard. While none of these gurus has achieved what could be considered longevity beyond the generally accepted limits they have shown that through yoga that those limits can be attained to their maximum benefit
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  04:14:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Victor,
Well DhyanyogiMadhusudandas-ji lived until he was 117 yrs old and in his biography there is a picture of him doing headstand at 100 yrs old.Another sign of the results of yoga?
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  10:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Fellows, while the examples may be true, there is also the limiting factor of destiny. I believe that many people take birth for acomplishing specific things in life, and once that is done, they die/get killed for a new role in another body. One example - Vivekanda died young at 32 from no apparant disease and he was also aware he was going to die that day.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  11:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani reply from Maximus
quote:
He replied :
The short answer is that there are an unlimited number of forming souls coming up through matter, all which have to go through the same process we are. It is a continuum of pure bliss consciousness evolving toward diverse individuation and then back to unity in self realization.

If the earth blows up, it will continue in the innumerable other places where it is happening. The earth is a special place, but not unique. Evolution proceeds everywhere in the universe. It is inherent in all of creation, not only in the earth. So there is plenty to do for an eternity, and the work of helping each other will not come to an end.

Glad to hear you are thinking ahead. Remember, it all boils down to the practices we are doing today. That is when evolution is at its best -- when we are unfolding pure bliss consciousness and ecstatic conductivity within ourselves today, tomorrow, and every day we we find ourselves in this sacred temple, our nervous system. Let's not waste a minute...

This is a fascinating answer to me and something that feels "right" though I have never read anything about this nor experienced this perception of our reality.

Yogani, are you aware of any books that discuss this perspective of our reality?

thanks,

Anthem11
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  11:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anthem11

Yogani reply from Maximus
quote:
He replied :

This is a fascinating answer to me and something that feels "right" though I have never read anything about this nor experienced this perception of our reality.

Yogani, are you aware of any books that discuss this perspective of our reality?

Hi Andrew:

It is discussed in great detail in the writings of Theosophy, which also represent (to greater or lesser degree) the esoteric aspects of all eastern (and western?) teachings -- including the practical field of yoga, of course.

AE Powell's book, "The Solar System" is one of the best on this subject. The message is of Oneness continually expressing and evolving in all levels of creation. Stillness in action!

The "cause and effect" in this is that if we each keep moving forward with our evolution, so will everything else. The evolution of consciousness within all forms is connected. So move on!

See Quest Books here: http://www.questbooks.net/title.cfm?bookid=1387

Amazon also has it: http://www.amazon.com/Solar-System-...42067&sr=1-1

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  3:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani, very helpful!

A
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000