Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Decisions and obstacles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robfrommi

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  1:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I wanted to get some input on some issues arising in my life. Ive been doing Deep Meditation for six months and I recently (like yesterday) went to the 1st enhancement with the mantra. Meditation has been great for me and has brought stillness into my life where it was hard to find before. Pranayama as been more of a challenge but I still been doing a little alternative nostril breathing before my Meditations. These problems also are happening near the end of a 40 day mantra discipline (108 mala 2 times daily)

Recently, I decided to take some Hatha yoga classes, this is a very big step for me I am kinda nervous and defiantly out of my comfort zone but realize I need to expand and grow and this could be a good learning experience. I took the time to find the best teacher and studio with all the right parameters(for me), I took the money out of the bank and literally was going to go to the studio when a big family drama erupted on that day. I was unable to go.

I decide to go the next week and again as I am driving there I have the same experience a phone call with disturbing family issues that I must attend to.

The problems are real with my family, the timing couldn't be worse but I wonder if this could be one of those times where my lower self(fear of change and nervousness) is trying to convince me to not grow and expand.I don't know. I use to always think that if obstacles appear on the path it might not be the right time to do it.
Ive noticed lately that Ive had my Enthusiasm for spiritual things lowered and other interests (non spiritual) spontaneously become magical again.

Thanks for listening and may your practices be blessed.

Edited by - robfrommi on Feb 20 2013 1:05:31 PM

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  9:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robfrommi,

Yes, this is called life

It can be quite frustrating - to take up practices, find our center and lose it again in the drama of life. Yet, that is exactly what happens - it is a cycle, and the cycle will continue. For how long? Don't know - I'm going to say for as long as it does, and is needed. There is a deliciousness to drama that is irresistible to the Self - after all, It wants to know Itself in every single way possible and is there a better way than drama?

So what I'd advice is - continue making the effort to go to the yoga class as long as you are drawn to it. Also, the ebb and flow of Bhakti is quite natural. But.. as long as you make the time and effort to continue practices, trust that it is still there. The volume may be turned down a bit, that's all. Soon enough, it will be turned up without much doing on your part - the beautiful mystery of this process.

Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  10:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Kami; it's a cycle, a process, an ebb and flow. In my experience everything will unfold as it is supposed to. All the best to you!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  12:21:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear robfrommi,

I would say that your Inner Guru is definitely telling you that you are trying to do too much Heed its warning Sometimes overload symptoms appear as obstacles in our lifes.

Good Luck

Sey
Go to Top of Page

robfrommi

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  09:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for you input. I did take it as a sign to not take on a new practice at this time. I am content with my practices now and will continue. I am starting to see this cycle and I am just glad to be witnessing it instead of my usual way of being overwhelmed by the waves.
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  11:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by robfrommi
Ive noticed lately that Ive had my Enthusiasm for spiritual things lowered and other interests (non spiritual) spontaneously become magical again.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether an activity is considered spiritual or not. After all, "spiritual" is just a concept we use to judge and label what we do and experience. Just do what you enjoy! The enjoyment is real. The concept... not so much...

I think everything is spiritual -- even riding massive roller coasters with the kids and screaming my fool head off.

I hope things settle down for your family soon.
Love!

Edited by - whippoorwill on Feb 21 2013 11:19:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  2:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Take that stuff as nothing other that what it is "The universal Paradox" meaning the slowest way to get to A is to say "I have to get to A right now."
Go to Top of Page

Goodway

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  4:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Usually the way I deal with these things is to take liberty with my "spiritual life" and do as well as I can with family life, unless my family life dictates a situation of which I must be a part. Lately, I've had to take time off from family life because families have a tendency to, sometimes, confine one to such a degree that one cannot live with the Self.

Edited by - Goodway on Feb 21 2013 5:11:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  02:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I've had to take time off from family life because families have a tendency to, sometimes, confine one to such a degree that one cannot live with the Self.

u are still in duality , dont u think?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  08:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Goodway

Usually the way I deal with these things is to take liberty with my "spiritual life" and do as well as I can with family life, unless my family life dictates a situation of which I must be a part. Lately, I've had to take time off from family life because families have a tendency to, sometimes, confine one to such a degree that one cannot live with the Self.

Balance is good... taking some time for self to grow and integrate the silence so it becomes our nature, and then going out and living in the world and trying to live from this place is good. Balance is the key to everything.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  10:56:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by robfrommi
[..] my lower self(fear of change and nervousness) is trying to convince me to not grow and expand.I don't know. I use to always think that if obstacles appear on the path it might not be the right time to do it.

One approach to this would be to turn such obstacles on the path into an ally, see it as a type of initiation. This is part of bhakti, converting anything into motivation and determination. Work with the obstacles, hold a vision of them being managed, and turn to your path as soon as possible without hesitation or delay.

Rising enthusiasm for other interests sounds like a normal result of practice. Simply recognizing this relationship between practice and its impacts on other interests (daily life) actually promotes the habit of practice. It may take some swinging back and forth (disharmony) until it is clearly mapped, but then it won't be so much a matter of remembering, but of doing what's self-evident from your first-hand experience.
Go to Top of Page

Goodway

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  11:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

quote:
I've had to take time off from family life because families have a tendency to, sometimes, confine one to such a degree that one cannot live with the Self.

u are still in duality , dont u think?

Why do you say this?
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  11:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree about balance

Recently I was thinking how deeply grateful I am to have gone the "householder" way instead of my original inclination toward a monastic life so many decades ago. Although there can be a strong pull to withdraw from "life" at times, it is only through the drama of daily living that we come to meet ourselves in the most intimate of ways. There are aspects of my inner self I would never have seen otherwise. There is no separating the "Self" from "life". Ever. That is an illusion.. Even if we were to withdraw to the mountaintop, the test of progress/enlightenment is only after coming back down to mingle with the "masses".

There is so much beauty in the most mundane things - messy relationships, emotional/mental gymnastics, the ups and downs of existence.. Can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be than right in the middle of it all!!

Go to Top of Page

Goodway

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  11:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kami

Agree about balance

Recently I was thinking how deeply grateful I am to have gone the "householder" way instead of my original inclination toward a monastic life so many decades ago. Although there can be a strong pull to withdraw from "life" at times, it is only through the drama of daily living that we come to meet ourselves in the most intimate of ways. There are aspects of my inner self I would never have seen otherwise. There is no separating the "Self" from "life". Ever. That is an illusion.. Even if we were to withdraw to the mountaintop, the test of progress/enlightenment is only after coming back down to mingle with the "masses".

There is so much beauty in the most mundane things - messy relationships, emotional/mental gymnastics, the ups and downs of existence.. Can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be than right in the middle of it all!!

Heh, I'm tired of the mundane, myself. I look forward to being around more people that have learned to live within the parameters of their own inner natures.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000