Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Lots of resentments and irritability with people
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eastofeden

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  3:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I started DM in Sept 12. I am really enjoying it and feeling some benefits. However, recently I have been feeling a lot of negative emotions and feelings towards various people in my life. It is as though all sorts of past resentments are surfacing. Is this normal? Is it part of purification? I don't like it much as it is conflicting with how I want to feel! Any thoughts or advice from anyone?

I am aware that I can't control how I feel !

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  3:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Eastofeden

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  4:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh sorry! Now it is in the right place I would love some views from all you more experiencd DM people!
Go to Top of Page

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  5:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eastofeden,

Can you tell us a bit more about your practices? How much DM do you do? Just DM or anything else? In my experience the irritation and negative emotions usually are an indicator that a bit too much purification is happening and that I need to cut back on practices and do more grounding activities.
Go to Top of Page

apatride

New Caledonia
94 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  5:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit apatride's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Eastofeden,

It's part of purification indeed, I got full of anger and irritability when I was practicing lots of pranayama (kriya yoga techniques to be more specific) every day.

The key point here is self pacing. You might be very sensitive to DM and achieve a lot of purification with your current practice, so maybe you should try to self pace and see where it goes. For instance if you're on a 2x 20min daily practice, lowen it down to 10 min twice a day. If it's still too much, go to 5min twice a day. Then you can increase your sessions time after a few weeks, once you're more balanced and ready to move further.

Also, don't forget to get enough rest after each session. I found myself much irritated after DM session when I would come back to "the real world" too fast. 5 min is a minimum for me, and sometimes I feel I need 10 minutes just resting with my eyes closed to touch down and get ready to go back in the matrix :)

With those considerations, I'm sure you'll be able to get more balanced and serein in somedays. I've been myself full of anger and irritation for months, even after I stopped any practice (I was only doing lots of pranayama these days). Then I did DM twice a day and it heps very much, combined with self practice and post-session rest.

Keep us informed about your practice :)
ALl the best!
Go to Top of Page

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  5:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely agree with apatride on the resting part. I also used to only rest a few minutes after each session and it would leave me feeling frazzled and irritable. I have since increased my rest to almost 10 minutes and feel way better!
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  7:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
After my practice I like to do about 5 mins in childs pose followed by 5 minutes in corpse pose. At this point that or a variation feels essential
Go to Top of Page

Eastofeden

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  04:11:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone, that is very helpful. I have been doing two sessions of Deep Meditation of twenty minutes each, and after attending the AYP retreat in December added five minutes of pranayama before the DM. I usually rest for ten minutes. To be more specific, as I settle down into my meditation or spinal breathing, I will suddenly have a vivid thought about someone or something in the real world, often to do with something I considered I had resolved, and then my mind will churn this over and over. Sometimes to the point where the time will be up and I think to,myself, well I did not achieve much except lots of unwanted and unsolicited thoughts!

Nevertheless, I still look forward to my two sessions daily, so I think this must be positive and good things must be happening at a deeper level, or I would not continue to anticipate them so eagerly.

I am trying trying to remember if I had these thoughts when I only did the Deep Meditation. I had not thought about whether it was after spinal breathing that this started. I have certainly found that if I don't rest well afterwards then I can be very cranky and disorientated, so make sure I do.

Thanks so much for the support.
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  08:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Eastofeden
To be more specific, as I settle down into my meditation or spinal breathing, I will suddenly have a vivid thought about someone or something in the real world, often to do with something I considered I had resolved, and then my mind will churn this over and over. Sometimes to the point where the time will be up and I think to,myself, well I did not achieve much except lots of unwanted and unsolicited thoughts!

Hi Eastofeden:

This is completely natural. Thoughts, feelings, sensations all appear in meditation. We simply notice them, and then gently go back to the mantra. If the feeling or sensation is especially intense or overwhelming, we might just sit with it for a bit and let it be what it is. Then go back to the mantra. It will dissipate after a while. I too had a lot of this coming up at first. I think it's a gentle, loving way to finally release old trauma. As long as you are noticing and gently returning to the mantra, the meditation is perfect.

!0 minutes of rest is kind of a minimum for me. Meditation usually knocks me out, and I rest for 15 or 20 minutes afterwards. If I don't, I'm cranky and groggy for the rest of the day.

If feelings of sadness, anger, resentment, etc. pop up seemingly without cause during the day while you're not in your sitting practices, simply notice them and let them be, and then cut down on your practice time. Maybe just do a few rounds of spinal breathing and 15 minutes of meditation and 10 or15 minutes of rest until things settle down.

Thoughts, emotions, sensations are all okay during meditation, as long as you can deal with it, but if they're affecting your life outside, then definitely cut back. It's too much.

All the best to you!
Love!
--Liz
Go to Top of Page

Eastofeden

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  08:50:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much Liz. That is really helpful. The idea of releasing old trauma is good. I was worried that I was restirring up issues that I thought were settled! I guess they were only suppressed or superficially resolved and have popped up again before hopefully being released. It is onward and upward for me then!

I am thinking that spinal breathing must be a far more powerful practise than I had given it credit for. Five minutes or so seems such a short time, but obviously a lot is happening.

As so many people have viewed this in a short time, I am guessing it resonates with lots of others too!

Much gratitude
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000