Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Advice for (non-Deep) meditation during the day
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  03:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering if meditating between the morning/evening sessions is considered proper, or if one should avoid doing so. I'm thinking more of a mindfulness/breath-based meditation for stress-related situations rather than AYP Deep Meditation.

Arman

Australia
47 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  04:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As long as you don't experience symptoms of overload I think it would be fine. Twice daily DM is certainly enough for me, but if you want to add another sitting practice (without mantra) then perhaps give it a try and see how it goes. To be mindful and present at all moments of the day is ideal, is it not? This is assuming your meditation is just basic mindfulness and returning to breath.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  08:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yogaman

I was wondering if meditating between the morning/evening sessions is considered proper, or if one should avoid doing so. I'm thinking more of a mindfulness/breath-based meditation for stress-related situations rather than AYP Deep Meditation.

You have just started AYP if I am not mistaken. I would not recommend it. Get stable in your twice a day practice for about 4 to 6 months, then once you know how you feel with these practices, I would say you can think about adding something (you can look here for some ideas). We generally go with if 1 is good 10 must be better... but in yoga (as it is with chocolates ), less is more... you will get a lot more from just doing practice twice a day and living your life to its fullest in between those session.
Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  1:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice. My main goal is not to accelerate AYP (and yes I am just starting with AYP, but have been doing breath-focus meditation since last year). Rather, at times during the day I sometimes find myself negatively ruminating and in the past used a quick set of 1 or 2 10-counts to bring myself back to focus and mindfulness.

But if suggested to still avoid even that, no problem. Was just curious what the AYP consensus was on that as its not mentioned in the lessons from what I recall, nor the DM book. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  1:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogaman, that is fine.. making oneself present is a beautiful exercise (1 or 2 10-counts to bring myself back to focus and mindfulness). All I was saying is not to add a formal practice of "mindfulness/breath-based meditation" through the day (right now, before you know how you react to DM)... that would be doubling up on practices.
Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  09:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000