Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Time of practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  10:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was both interested and relieved to read the reason for the twice a day practice. See lesson No.148 at http://www.aypsite.com/148.html.

I have, though, elsewhere come across other reasons for choosing the time of practice. There are four major times of the day when two different kinds of energies are at work (The daivic and asuric, and these are powerful times for dhyan and yogic practices.

The first is about one hour before sunrise till half an hour after, also called the brahma muhurat... when the satwic forces and daivic forces are at peak, and the asuric forces the weakest. The second is the tantric hour, between 10.30a.m. and 11.20 p.m (I don't see why this isn't noon), when the two forces are more or less equal. Loosely, this time is used by practitioners of tantra, to quickly achieve things in the world, so that they may go beyond these desires. The third is at sunset, beginning half an hour before and till some time after... where the satwic forces are weakest, and asuric strongest. Meditation at this time wards off negative energies, and finally around midnight, a time for interacting with the forces to learn the secrets of the Universe, I think.

I would like to know more about these times, if anyone knows, and whether they have any significance in the AYP method of yogic practices.

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  11:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are tons and tons of thoughts on this. I wish I had a lifestyle where I could settle in to an optimal routine. But even if I find myself meditating at the dead of noon on a crowded bus with a half-full stomach, man, I'm just grateful for the opportunity. I take heart in knowing that it's far, far better to practice at the "wrong" time than not to practice at all.

So anyone who can fine tune, awesome. anyone who can't...don't fret. Just keep going.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  03:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have read that meditation at high noon is the optimum time to invoke the energy of Shiva. There may be some truth in this, just as there are optimum places for worship and for connection with spirit (the 7 holy mountains and so forth). Intuition tells me that these may enhance one's meditation, but ultimately it's the position of the heart which is the essential ingredient.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  08:51:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sadhak,

This was discussed here
I hope it will answer some of your questions.
-Shweta.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000