Way of Liberation - New book by Adyashanti
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

k123

118 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2013 :  10:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Bodhi

I can see what you are saying about the superficial type of neti neti thing too. I too find approaches that skim the surface in a purely transcendent, floaty way do not touch deeply enough. I want something that will bring up all the messy, difficult stuff and lead to an open heart.

I was wondering if you had read either of Adyashanti's two books, either Emptiness Dancing, or the one about enlightenment. A few years ago I watched his YouTube videos and found them irritating, but not now. I think I thought he was supercilious at the time. However, to my mind his books are a real gift. I like that he talks about embodiment a lot, bringing the inner silence into every day life, and not staying in some unreal transcendent space.

I get a lot from his videos now and got a lot from his satsangs too, when I attended. I think you are right about the main audience, but then again I think most satsangs I have attended have been the same. Adyashanti's have been the largest in terms of numbers that I have been to (apart from Amma of course!), at least in the UK. I have heard Adyashanti address people's pain on a very deep level, as something that needs to be accepted and welcomed and embraced. This is exactly the kind of approach that I personally find resonates with me. I have had my fair share of addiction, despair and desolation, and am only really interested in approaches where there is acceptance of the difficult, but juicer aspects of life. Something that feels honest I think.

I agree with you and Josh about the digging aspect. I use AYP as my main practice and then complement it with other things, mainly as they seem to arise in my life. For a long time I wanted one special teacher and thought various teachers might fit the role, such as Mooji, or any number of others. More lately I have realised that life itself seems to bring books, people and teachings into my life. Lately I no longer feel the need to go satsang hunting. Now I just seem to just stick to my DM, SBP and enquiry. It is a lot cheaper too

Of course this is what Yogani has always said! As always, I have needed to learn by trying every other way first

Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2013 :  10:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff, I agree totally. My point was that that if you IDENTIFY with a position of negation, it can lead to rejection of life. Identification is non-relational. Relational inquiry leads to freedom from identification.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2013 :  11:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson

Hi Jeff, I agree totally. My point was that that if you IDENTIFY with a position of negation, it can lead to rejection of life. Identification is non-relational. Relational inquiry leads to freedom from identification.

Hi Mr. Anderson,

Thanks. Sounds like we are saying the same thing.

As you said, it is not about "IDENTIFY with a position of negation", but a letting go (or first an acceptance of what is). Too often relational inquiry is used a "knife" to cut open, but the forgiving/letting go is not done. For advanced meditators, it is possible to "hide in silence" and never really forgive yourself (and others). Your earlier advice about "love" can make all the difference. Otherwise, one is just "hiding on a mountain top".

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2013 :  12:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson

I think I know what you're saying Bodhi.

People can actually identify with the position of negation/neti-neti. This leads to less engagement and rejection of life, perhaps just sitting on the sidelines. Not a useful or healthy position.

Relational discriminative self inquiry can help us wake up out of suffering and foolishness which results from identification.

However, as we find this stillness and inner freedom, there's still a call to engage with life. Rupert Spira said "To know I am nothing is a position of understanding, to know I am everything is a position of love."

I prefer the rich, all-embracing position of love.

BOOM! Thank you. I can breathe now. Beautiful quote too.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2013 :  1:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
K123,
Reading your words is like lightly shuffling my feet through the sand on a Florida beach. Very grounding and pleasant. (I have not read "Emptiness Dancing", but I did read "The End of Your World" cover-to-cover...not too bad. ). I'm glad you're finding your own groove, like me too. It's a process of refinement and riding the wave. We may not have any control over the swell of the wave, but we do get to balance on the surfboard and do a little curving, shaking, and navigation...which is nice. Nice to participate in life.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2013 :  1:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Rupert Spira said "To know I am nothing is a position of understanding, to know I am everything is a position of love."

wow that is a beautiful quote...thx for sharing mr.anderson
nice thread btw...all the replies are excellent!
Go to Top of Page

k123

118 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2013 :  1:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bodhi,

Love the image of the sand and the surf board

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000