AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 I don't know...and the fall-out
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  09:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I recently went through the direct pointing experience at Liberation Unleashed. I had what they called a seeing, although to me it felt more like a glimpsing. I can’t put into words how wonderful and fun it was to discover life being lived through my body/mind. All the objects disappear, the subject disappears, and there’s simply life. The burdens of memory disappear, the weight of a personal will disappears, and there’s an incredible lightness of being. Joy! Wonder! The walls I’d built to protect my feelings started to crumble too, so everything is felt intensely – including sadness and helplessness. The glimpses come and go, but they’re happening more often now.

Anyway my hubby saw what I’d written there and was appalled. Appalled is a bit too mild to describe it, but it’s the best I can do.
“Is it really that passive?” he asks. “What do you mean?” I ask. “I mean it appears you think you have no say in what happens in your life, and you seem to like it,” he said.
“Oh.”
“Is there free will?” he asks.
“I don’t know.”
“Is Judas in Hell?” he asks.
“What? There’s no such thing as Hell.”
“That’s not what people are asking when they ask if Judas is in Hell. They’re asking if Judas is responsible for his actions,” he says.
“Oh. I don’t know. A judge would think a person is responsible.”
“Yes, but do you?”
“I don’t know.”
And it went on. And the only answer I could give is “I don’t know.” I felt the disapproval, but couldn’t change the answer, and my hubby dear probably concluded that his wife was on her way to becoming a nihilistic vegetable.

He must have decided he loves me anyway because he’s still here.

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  09:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyway, this is just something to let you know that if you're married, there's more than one person in the game.

That's what we do when we marry -- we sign up to share in each other's adventures, whatever they may be.

And, while I'm the only one who can travel this road for myself, there's still another person there traveling with me. And while he may not comprehend the whole thing, he's still there experiencing it.

And I wouldn't want it any other way.

Since then, we've had a lot of good laughs about this exploration.

But that first realization was a real shock to both of us.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  09:53:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by whippoorwill

And the only answer I could give is “I don’t know.”

That is the only answer that is true....
When you know... then drop it as it just means the mind has figured it out... so it's time to let that understanding go... then more is revelaed...
A friend of mine had once told me "surrender completely into the mystery."... once the mind has figured it out, the mystery is gone... so let it (the mind understanding) go, becasue just when you think you have it... (if you let it go) life will show you there is more. [img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  11:03:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dear whippoorwill
the i dont know is very recurrent over here too
Socrates was very correct when he said: all i know is that i dont know
few days ago i had a similar conversation with a male friend....later on i wondered how this might affect a couple ie a spiritual partner and not so spiritual partner...it can be a challenge yet at the same it can be very down to earth ,fun and a good way to integrate all the seemingly paradoxes
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  11:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for sharing Liz. Your words drip with beauty, as always

Concur with Shanti and Maha - I am no longer certain about anything.. even when I'm outwardly taking a stand

So glad that you can share this with your partner. Spiritual or not, the ability to share is the backbone of a successful marriage/relationship, IMO. For years, I hesitated to share "spiritual" stuff with my husband because he is "not into it".. However, like you say, it does spill over.. My sadhana, rituals, and openings have permeated our home and family subtly but surely. He has come to see and respect that this is all-consuming for me and not just another thing I do. We have grown much closer together; he may not appreciate or understand my experiences or revelations, but he listens, asks questions, and keeps me grounded when I tend to withdraw into myself... And, to my utter surprise, he took up kundalini yoga about a year ago, since I was into it - even after I warned him that it was heavy in meditation and pranayama. Him giving me space and me getting over my own inhibitions of sharing have been crucial in our evolution as a couple.

Recently when I was going through profound openings, we were having lunch together and I brought up nonduality. I asked him to follow my line of inquiry and we briefly experienced the "glimpsing" together.. Returning to the hustle of the cafe, he shook his head in disbelief and said, ok, wow, what are we having?

Much love,
kami
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  1:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I am no longer certain about anything.. even when I'm outwardly taking a stand

haha dont u love it when such situations happen
thx whippoorwill and kami for sharing your experiences
bottom line the partner does not have to be spiritual as long as he/she has enough love , respect and willingness to genuinely listen and maybe try a bit this exploration
but in the end...i dont know

Edited by - maheswari on Dec 05 2012 1:17:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  5:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kami
Returning to the hustle of the cafe, he shook his head in disbelief and said, ok, wow, what are we having?

That's hilarious! Priorities - right?

I was explaining about Samyama a few days ago and he said, "hmm, wonder if you're at all suggestible in that state. Maybe I should try a samyama of my own while you're doing yours. Steak dinner... Push-up bra..." That earned him a punch in the arm.

It's hard to take things too seriously with him around.

Thanks so much, Shanti, Maha, and Kami for listening and your comments. I definitely needed to hear them.

love!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  5:30:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My wife said,
." I'm not going to come home to find you have up and left for India am I?

She was extremely serious.

I asked her what had made her think that i would go to India and she replied
"I had read about it in some of your Yoga books".

I had to laugh and give her a hug."no" I said " that's the old fashioned way, I don't need to go anywhere ".

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  7:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kami

- I am no longer certain about anything.. even when I'm outwardly taking a stand

I was driving, and suddenly these words came to me and I had a picture of you in my head and could not stop laughing and loving you for your honesty!
You have now given me an important weapon to use next time we don't agree on something!
Love you!
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  10:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

You have now given me an important weapon to use next time we don't agree on something!

What?? When does that ever happen?

Love you

Edited by - kami on Dec 05 2012 10:02:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2012 :  9:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

My wife said,
." I'm not going to come home to find you have up and left for India am I?

She was extremely serious.

I asked her what had made her think that i would go to India and she replied
"I had read about it in some of your Yoga books".

I had to laugh and give her a hug."no" I said " that's the old fashioned way, I don't need to go anywhere ".

It's "the journey from here to here."

Your wife knows how sincere you are about all this.

I wouldn't mind going to India someday -- not for the yoga, but just to see some of India.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000