Gurus, Sages and Higher Beings
 guru or not to guru
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  12:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I can't seem to find a lama-guru-mentor though I have had a therapist for a long time. I met a few people who ran different places but no real connections were made other than great respect for them. So, anyway, I was wondering, do we really need a flesh and blood guru when everything we need is written in here and in other books. Perhaps the teacher-guru was greatly needed in the past because of the lack of written instruction? I'm not trying to downplay the importance for most people to have a real guru but if you can't find one like I can't seem to but you read a great deal, isn't that at least something close? This forum has been a God-send.
Thank you.

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  3:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't afford to go chasing after a guru at this point. Instead the gurus come to me. Someone says something or relates some experience, and I realize that "oh, I needed to hear that."

A few weeks ago, it was a percussionist. Last week it was another yoga instructor. Always it's my family. Often it's the people here in this forum. Very often, it's my own stupid mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  5:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well...what does Yogani end every lesson with?

The guru...is...in...you.

(Must be of some significance if it's the single most repeated sentence in the AYP compendium )

I also very much like what Whippoorwhill says, which is that "gurus" abound in our everyday surroundings. A good friend can be a guru in a tough situation and act as a mirror to illuminate the latent wisdom that is needed at the moment.

Actually, my family's English bull dog is a terrific guru. Her simplicity and uncompromising devotion are beacons of hope and endurance. All we do in return is feed her, and her tongue hangs from her mouth like a super-advanced mudra, indicating a high level of attainment within the realm of pure bliss consciousness. When she snores, it's like a choir of monks celebrating the primal sounds of mother nature.

"Seek first the kingdom of God, and all things will be added to you."
Go to Top of Page

Sudeep

India
21 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2012 :  02:18:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We should first try to understand the role of Satguru. With the advent of modern intellgence, human being has got so proudly indulged in selfness that it declares that it needs no physical guru, little do they recognise the depth/level of play/illusions of mind and existance of several regions which can only be accessed through a Satguru. The moment we listen this, we jump in declaring that we all are god and why need help of another being. We are compelete in our own meaning and we can travel back to the supreme by ourselves. We dont even realise the difficulty/illusion of the path.

Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2013 :  6:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with everyone, in order to be and remain on the path day to day you need to make the world and everything in it your teacher, even the dawn or the sea.

but to have a true guru is to have someone within and without who watches over you and guards you every moment of the rest of your lives until you reach enlightenment.

I find on the path the ego jumps crazily from one thing to another and it is difficult to keep up with or pierce through what sudeep mentioned as the illusion.

the path is treacherous, best to have someone walk ahead and check out the pitfalls and poisons that need to be avoided.

good luck with your search.

joe
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2013 :  03:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JosephUK

I agree with everyone, in order to be and remain on the path day to day you need to make the world and everything in it your teacher, even the dawn or the sea.

but to have a true guru is to have someone within and without who watches over you and guards you every moment of the rest of your lives until you reach enlightenment.

I find on the path the ego jumps crazily from one thing to another and it is difficult to keep up with or pierce through what sudeep mentioned as the illusion.

the path is treacherous, best to have someone walk ahead and check out the pitfalls and poisons that need to be avoided.

good luck with your search.

joe

It will do that anyway Joseph. There are many Gurus but few ears to hear them. Learn to listen and the world is full of guides. The path isn't a direction, its simply making the decision of being prepared to listen and move with and not against the flow.

Practices are like worship, they re-in force the commitment to be a good student and acknowledge that we are not in control and require guidance.
Go to Top of Page

Namath

350 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2013 :  04:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

Actually, my family's English bull dog is a terrific guru. Her simplicity and uncompromising devotion are beacons of hope and endurance. All we do in return is feed her, and her tongue hangs from her mouth like a super-advanced mudra, indicating a high level of attainment within the realm of pure bliss consciousness. When she snores, it's like a choir of monks celebrating the primal sounds of mother nature.

Hahaha......

there was a young dog at Ramana Ashram who would come and join the Puja at exactly 5 :15 p.m...She seeks protection among people who are her friends...She puts her head on one of our laps....2 mins before the Puja finishes ,she gets up and disappears

Edited by - Namath on Jan 15 2013 08:45:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sudeep

India
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2013 :  07:48:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Because of its reasoning intellect, Human mind is so ineffective to understand the importance of Guru and path of meditation.

for most of the people, their journey ends (or they are enlightened) the moment they ascend to causal region/Astral world. The colorful beauty of the region which is full of light and having many great Astral beings living there gives the idea that we have reached our destination. We get lost in the beauty and got stuck there permanently.

Little did we realise that these regions are under control of universal mind. The real path is beyond region of mind. There are many regions/worlds remaining to be explored there. There are many obstacles, illusions, negative forces in the way due to control of mind/kal.

Upward journey from that point can be carried on only after initiation from a True Living Guru. Human Guru connects you with inner radiant form of Guru which guides us throughout all the way upto Sach Khand(Supreme Region).

(There is a grand hierarchy of Universe and supreme region - Sach Khand is at the top, the ultimate source of light and sound)

This is way of Sant Mat - Light and Sound Meditation.

I wanted to know AYP version of structure of universe in my another thread, but seems like nobody is interested to share.

Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2013 :  08:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sudeep,

Thank you for your perspective and post. I would agree that a living guru can make a big difference on one's path, but would disagree that it can only be done with a living guru.

Regarding your "AYP structure of the universe" question, I don't believe there is a standard AYP perspective. AYP leaves such topic "under the covers" and I think you would find very divergent opinions from the forum members. If you are interested in such a discussion, just create a thread in "other systems" and I would be happy to join and share my perspectives.

Best, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Sudeep

India
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2013 :  09:06:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff,

The reason I raised the question of structure of universe is that both need of guru concept and the path to ultimate desitation are inter related.

If the structure ends at just upto certain astral worlds, who needs Guru then ??

I was just asking for AYP view on this. I already created a thread but with no reply.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=12373

If you are aware about Sant Mat, you would surely know what I am talking about.

Regards.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2013 :  10:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sudeep,

I have very little familiarity with Sant Mat, but I understand the issue/concept. I also agree that Astral worlds are just part of the structure of "mind" and not the same as ultimate realization. I believe that there are two common places where one gets "stuck" that a living guru can be very helpful (maybe necessary) to get past.

With your implied (Sant Mat) perspective, the discussion sounds like it could be interesting. I will meet you in the other thread later today.

Best Regards, Jeff
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000