Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Hello and some doubts about the practice.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joao.jlgoncalves

Portugal
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2012 :  11:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello!

I used to practice a session of 30 min SB and 1hour DM on morning and a session of 10 min SB, 20 min DM on afternoon, but I have read a lot about the risks of overloading here in the AYP site, so I reduced the morning session to be like the afternoon session (10 min SB, 20 min DM), is it a good decision? Is it 1h30min every morning really too much?
Since I began AYP, I noticed, AFTER the sessions, lot improvements in all areas of my life (in relationships – more open, at work – more effective, I feel in general more relaxed etc.), but DURING meditation, I do not feel blissful, ecstasy etc… like everyone here is talking about, am I doing something wrong or is it normal?
Another question, I use to stop meditation 1 day per week (normally at Saturdays), is it ok? Or should I force myself to do the two AYP sessions the 7 days of the week?
Another question, only by curiosity, if one day someone attain the enlightenment , does he/she has to continue the practices, or can he/she stop all the practices and enjoy this state for the rest of his/her life?
Someone can respond to my doubts (even written in bad English!)?

THANKS!

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2012 :  3:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Joao,
have a look at lesson 318 that addresses part of your question on an end-state and continued refinement of the path http://www.aypsite.org/318.html

Speaking for myself: I have not yet encountered overloads or adverse reactions over the ~ 2 years, and instead find that overdoing can have its own costs depending on the practice in question. The body and intuition make it more clear what is true at that point in time and under those conditions, or at least they will eventually. Part of it can be trying to compensate for lack of sufficient time and experience with a given practice, which is really taking up too much too soon.

Such a time frame can be normal, but would instead be made up of many practices, and certainly not all of just SBP and DM!
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2012 :  2:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Under almost any circumstances I can think of, your former morning practice totaling 90 minutes would be considered too much. Keep with the 10 min SB and 20 min DM--this is a very excellent balance morning and evening. Symptoms of overload or not, this would be the best balance. As far as seeing improvements in life but not having some blissful experiences in meditation, this is also fine. We are not looking for excellent, blissful periods of meditation as our final results, but rather for a better life--as you describe, better relationships, better work, better life in general! Maybe at some point, you will experience peaceful silence during meditation, but this is not now as important as seeing overall improvements in your life.
Namaste,
Michael
Go to Top of Page

joao.jlgoncalves

Portugal
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  6:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Aumnaturel;

Michael, thank you for your considerate response, I´ve really appreciated it; I think it will help me to convince myself that I am in the right path.
Before diving in AYP, I´ve read some books about Mindfulness and I´ve started to practice it seriously, but the idea that was underneath this Mindfulness practice was: “the more you practice, better it is”; for example, if you do the “breath sitting meditation” during 15 min that´s ok, but if you can do it during one hour, it´s better! That´s why, now in AYP, I have always the sensation that I am not doing enough (a 2x session of 30 min seems to me to be too little to cause so dramatic changes in life), but I will try to follow the AYP advice – less is more!

I am in a fairly little country (Portugal), where nobody (at least that I know) talks about meditation; I rely on AYP lessons and AYP forum to help me to follow the path of true.

Once again, thank you!
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  09:34:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Joao,
The problem of overload or discomfort may not be immediate - but you could get a cumulative effect later. So your decision of cutting down to the standard times is good.
Mindfulness is quite different to AYP and for that reason a 90 minute session maybe too much.

Improvement outside of meditation are the real indicators that things are working. Also in the early days - I used to meditate only 6 days a week and that was fine - maybe just keep an intention of meditating when time and circumstances permit on all 7 days.

Do people who are enlightened practice - so far as I know all advanced AYP practitioners practice twice a day - even Yogani does.
All the best and welcome to the forums.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  1:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mathurs

Do people who are enlightened practice - so far as I know all advanced AYP practitioners practice twice a day - even Yogani does.

Just a note that is perhaps worth mentioning (and perhaps not ), I know several people who I would consider "enlightened" (knowing full well that when enlightenment is realized there is "no one left" to be enlightened ) who can no longer do formal practices. For them, every moment is a practice and formal practices result in immediate overload. Don't think there is any set standard here that can be applied to everyone.

Love!
Carson
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  2:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

quote:

Just a note that is perhaps worth mentioning (and perhaps not ), I know several people who I would consider "enlightened" (knowing full well that when enlightenment is realized there is "no one left" to be enlightened ) who can no longer do formal practices. For them, every moment is a practice and formal practices result in immediate overload. Don't think there is any set standard here that can be applied to everyone.

Love!
Carson

Hi Carson,

If there is "no one left", who is it that experiences overload?

Overload is product of obstructions to the flow. With full clarity, there is no concept of overload (and there is nothing to practice).

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  2:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff,

quote:
Originally posted by jeff

The body/mind complex.

quote:

Overload is product of obstructions to the flow.

In my experience, overload is the result of having an overwhelming amount of stuff to "look at" in any given moment (and everyone has a different capacity for the amount of stuff that can be looked at in the moment). In my experience, if something (an obstruction) is not directly looked at is doesn't get unwound.

quote:

With full clarity, there is no concept of overload (and there is nothing to practice).

I don't know anything about "full clarity." Not sure how someone could ever know if they had *full* clarity. The word "full" indicates a finish-line... I've yet to ever experience one of those.

Love!
Carson

Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  3:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson--let me know if and when you do catch a glimpse of that finish line--I've been regular in my practices for 42 years now, and every time I think I see it just ahead, it turns out to be yet another gate to pass thru! Or, perhaps we're spelling it wrong--maybe it's not "finish" but "Finnish", and we're just looking in the wrong part of the world--let's head for Scandinavia! But yeah, "full" anything is a false concept--we might better say, "fuller". More full? duh...
Namaste,
Michael

Edited by - mikkiji on Nov 27 2012 3:20:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  3:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hahaha... the only finish-line I've ever seen is the one in the Bills game I watched at your house a couple months ago.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  3:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Jeff,

quote:

The body/mind complex.

What is the body/mind complex? Is there a box around it someplace?

Also, I definitely agree that obstructions need to be faced/released.

Hope you are well. It has been a while.

Regards, Jeff

Edited by - jeff on Nov 27 2012 4:01:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  4:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff,

quote:

What is the body/mind complex? Is there a box around it someplace?

For me, I would say it is the physical/mental vehicle that the "limited awareness" (usually) abides in. Hard to define from an "ultimate perspective," easier to define from a "subjective persepctive."

quote:

Hope you are well. It has been a while.

It has been a while hasn't it. Never a dull moment over here. Found out a week ago that my job is going to be repatriated by our customer soon (as the customer feels they need to have more accountability here as we are a third party and we have a very direct ability to affect their bottom lines) and I will have to find a new position within the company. What is really funny about this development is that it spurred an inspiration to put together a "Personal Development Program" designed to piggyback on some of the "Leadership Development Programs" here, which I pitched to senior management last night with great success. There is a good possibility that I may end up moving into a position where I will be teaching Deep Meditation and a few other "personal development techniques" to the upper management of my company. Wouldn't that be something!!

Hope all is well with you and your family as well.

Much Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  6:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

Sounds like the new job opportunity could be a nice balance to the pressure of the previous one. Also, it seems very fitting as you have always struck me as a natural (and gifted) teacher.

On our other topic...maybe it should be a new thread... But, after your investigation/inquiry, have you found that your "mind" or what you subjectively percieve as "you" resides in the local body?

Peace & Light, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  6:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff,

quote:

....have you found that your "mind" or what you subjectively percieve as "you" resides in the local body?

What I perceive to be the "subjective me" is a conglomeration of beliefs that are ultimately "my karma." They are not located anywhere in particular and exist on all levels right from the most gross (in the form of physical blockages) right to the most subtle (which are beyond even the uninvestigated "misperceptions," and I do not even have a word for this aspect of "my karma"). Not sure if this answers your question or not... I kinda struggled with putting this answer into words.

Love!
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  9:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mikkiji

But yeah, "full" anything is a false concept--we might better say, "fuller".

I do like me some full emptiness...yessir. I just marvel at how the ego and the non-ego can exist at the same time, and I just laugh at those people who keep believing that one day there will be no ego. Some people believe they've already erased their's! I do declare! Ain't it a paradox?
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  10:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Jeff,]

What I percieve to be the "subjective me" is a conglomeration of beliefs that are ultimately "my karma." They are not located anywhere in particular and exist on all levels right from the most gross (in the from of physical blockages) right to the most subtle (which are beyond even the uninvestigated "misperceptions," and I do not even have a word for this aspect of "my karma"). Not sure if this answers your question or not... I kinda struggled with putting this answer into words.

Love!
Carson

Hi Carson,

Thank you very much for sharing. Actually, your words above make much more sense to me than your previous comment using the concept of local body/mind.

Have a good evening.

Love, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  08:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson, Joao,
So I stand corrected about "all" advanced AYP practitioners.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  2:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Carson, Joao,
So I stand corrected about "all" advanced AYP practitioners.

Every path is unique.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

joao.jlgoncalves

Portugal
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  10:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Joao,
So your decision of cutting down to the standard times is good.
Mindfulness is quite different to AYP ...

I am now convinced that it´s better to go slowly and to conform to the standard times,but I have still a doubt: is really AYP so different from Mindfulness? Indeed,for those who know a little about mindfulness, the two systems seem to be very similar: DM is like the breath meditation(the only thing that changes is the object of meditation, instead of paying attention to mantra, we pay attention to breath),SBP is like the "body scan"(also in this practice, we visualize the traject of breath in our body and that opens our nervous system...),Asanas is like mindfulness hatha-yoga(bodily postures) etc.
what do you think about that?

Joao
Go to Top of Page

joao.jlgoncalves

Portugal
50 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2012 :  05:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The more I practice,day after day,and learn about AYP, the more I love it!
Thank You Yogani.
Thank You all.

note:I have found a portuguese site about AYP (with Yogani´s lessons translated), so it seems that I am not alone with AYP in this country!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000