Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Re: Samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Narayani

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  9:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I need a small advice. I am reading about Samyamas and I was wondering if i can start incorporating it in my practice after my 20 minutes meditation (without doing any spinal breathing).

I started with the spinal breathing for a week or so then i stopped it. I was not feeling so good about it.

Thank you.

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  01:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello dear Narayani
as long a s you have enough inner silence you can do samyama ...no need to do spinal breathing
Lesson 150 says:
quote:
The only prerequisite for doing samyama practice is having some inner silence. For most people this is after a few months of daily deep meditation, as covered in the early lessons.

please read the whole lesson before starting:
http://www.aypsite.org/150.html
Love
maha

Edited by - maheswari on Nov 07 2012 01:45:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  04:32:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Narayani

Hello everyone,

I need a small advice. I am reading about Samyamas and I was wondering if i can start incorporating it in my practice after my 20 minutes meditation (without doing any spinal breathing).

I started with the spinal breathing for a week or so then i stopped it. I was not feeling so good about it.

Thank you.

I think of spinal breathing as a warm up. I prefer to get going on DM but I know the SB makes it more effective and stable. There is a tendency to over breathe and over analyse SB because its more physical. Physical going inwards. Go gentle.

Samyama is a strange practice. With stillness it is very powerful, without stillness you may as well be sending letters to Santa Claus. Its a matter of having no expectation and doing it as a service, it is devotional. Your inner Guru will give you the green light
Go to Top of Page

Narayani

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  09:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Maheswari and Karl
Go to Top of Page

magman

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  08:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a related question: Having some inner silence is a prerequisite. If you don't have much, is it counter-productive to do samyama, or just not effective?
I ask because for the past few months or so, my mind has been nice & quite during samyama, but over this past week, it's been almost as noisy as when I first started. What disturbes me is that, for example, when I release the word "love", my mind will respond with "hate". By fighting it, I know that I make it stronger. I'm just afraid that by accepting it, it might be like adding it as a sutra. Should I just go with it? Is the "love" sutra more powerful because it's conciously intentional? Or would it be wise to take a break from Samyama? Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  11:21:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The "hate" response to your love is an action at the level of ego (or mind). The ego has no power in stillness/silence, so there is no real danger. But, it is definitely pointing you to some unresolved issues around your feelings of love (or the perceived lack of it). I would suggest that you might want to spend some time looking into it.

Best wishes, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  12:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello magman
if there is not enough inner silence, samyama would not be very effective...that is all...nothing counterproductive ...so dont worry
quote:
I ask because for the past few months or so, my mind has been nice & quite during samyama, but over this past week, it's been almost as noisy as when I first started

this is very normal..in fact this is the way it should be....let the noisy stuff appear/be relased but dont dwell on them...also dont get attached to the periods when your mind is calm this is counterproductive! just take each session as it happens

when 'hate" appears just let it appear....as Jeff said it is pointer towards some issues that lay deep down in our subconscious (we all have that)....so if 'hate' appears spontaneously just let it appear, then continue your samyama session ie finish the list of sutras....

there is no need to stop samayama ....on the contrary it seems that it is helping you in releasing some obstructions
all the best

Edited by - maheswari on Nov 26 2012 12:40:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Narayani

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  5:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It was nice reading your comments:). I tried Samyama for a bit more than a week. Presently, I decided to stick to 20 min of meditation twice a day. Is it ok during the day, while walking, or in the train etc focus on being present with the breath? (or mentally i say breath in as I inhale and breath out as i exhale?) :) Thank you
Go to Top of Page

Narayani

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  5:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry i meant breathe in as I inhale and breathe out as I exhale.
Go to Top of Page

Kite

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  6:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Narayani,

I'm like you and have stuck mainly with the daily meditations :), although have tried Samyama.
As far as being present with your breath, I think this is a wonderful way to bring awareness to the energy within the body and the beauty of the present moment, which is all we ever have. I find it is especially helpful to fall back to breath-awareness when I am in stressful situations and the mind isn't easily observed from a witness viewpoint.
Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000