Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 yoga and coffee: to drink or not to drink?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  09:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I do spinal breathing followed by deep meditation daily. I also drink 1 cup of coffee most days. Is it better not to drink coffee? What about teas / caffeine?

I have the feeling that maybe I should stop drinking coffee and I'm trying to decide. I also sometimes drink green tea, oolong tea, and black tea which all have caffeine.

This may have been discussed before but I didn't see a search function for the forums.

Thanks in advance for any answers, hints, or comments :)

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  09:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Godslave,

Better not to go with shoulds and should nots...it if comes to you naturally, go with it.

The search function is on the right top corner (along with main lessons, profile, etc).. here is a link to it:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/search.asp

Here are a few topics on it:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=929
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=775
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3918
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=479

There are many more... search for coffee, caffeine.
Go to Top of Page

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  10:32:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  1:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I usually enjoy a cup of coffee before I practice in the morning. Its not good to practice after eating but a cup of coffee doesn't seem to do any harm (in my case). Your mileage may vary.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  2:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
over here one latte every morning ...even if the sky is falling down i should get this latte loll
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  8:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently quit drinking coffee and have enjoyed the benefits. Better digestion, slower heartbeat, less craving, smoother meditation. I drink herbal tea occasionally now.
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  06:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Godslave,
Hi
I used to have 3-4 cups of coffee at least - everyday. Recently I have found that I just cant drink coffee anymore. I still make coffee out of habit - but it is just wasted.
Conclusion is carry on with DM and what is not needed will just drop off on the way....
Go to Top of Page

Ichigo

Israel
66 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  09:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A yogi should be very strict with himself avoid anything that stimulates the body. if one can't stop being attached to a certain food/drink product, how will he be able to reach a permanent stage of celibacy on the gross and subtle level? books like Bhagavad Gita, Uddhava Gita and Patanjali shouldn't be ignored!
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  6:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You should experiment and go with what your body tells you is needed.

A few months ago, I started drinking herbal tea every morning instead of the decaf coffee. I've discovered that my body simply wants something hot to drink, especially in the morning, and the herbal tea now feels much cleaner in my system than the coffee. Nowadays I find that regular coffee and black tea contain way more caffeine than my body can handle, but I can tolerate white tea if I need a little push in the afternoon. I still make decaf coffee in the morning. Mr. Whippoorwill drinks it, and I love the smell!

My favorite herbal tea is hibiscus with a squirt of lime juice and some honey.

Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  10:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Coffee kills some of the subtle bliss flows here and replaces it with some hectic vibration. When the good is overshadowed with =P then the decision is easy =)
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2012 :  05:20:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Coffee, I can take it or leave it. No addicted to it, but certainly enjoy a cup. Don't drink it while you are meditating and certainly not when Spinal breathing or doing Asanas
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2012 :  5:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A day without coffee and tea is like a day without sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

Ataia-Yoga

Switzerland
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  01:45:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Can we drink tea after doing yoga postures or any asana??? Please let me know about this.

Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  08:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I did a bit of research on caffeine in tea.

Within the first minute of brewing the caffeine is completely removed.

So if you are using loose tea you could brew it for 1 min and throw the liquid away (sacrilege!) and re-brew the leaves.

I was looking up that little nugget of info at 3 in the morning. I need to get out more .

Hi Ataia-Yoga

I drink tea/ coffee all the time. I should really get an IV of tea and that would save me going to the kitchen all the time. So I think it is okay to drink tea after sitting practices (I'm still here ).

I don't drink caffeinated drinks a couple of hours before practice though.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  1:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
(sacrilege!)

hahaha woosa your posts are always funny
but also useful and informative
nice combination
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  2:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maheswari you're not so bad yourself .

Anyway, enough of the niceness - it's cramping my style, and I have tea to drink!
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  3:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
where is the teapot Alice?
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  8:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Do what feels good or beneficial. Caffeine sensitivity is very individual. I don't like to drink coffee before physical activity, like asanas or hiking, because it makes me nauseous. I've had it before meditation with no problem. A few years ago, I would drink 2 triple-sized Monsters right before bed. If you're doing something excessive like that, daily meditation will even it out eventually.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

DoctorWho

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2012 :  7:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm way big on the tea too! Probably 3 cups a day if not more. I try to make sure I wait an hour or more before going into meditation so as not be all 'hopped up' :)

I've often wondered how beneficial it would be to lessen the tea intake. But when I take an inventory of the crap I need to work on and renounce in this life... I realize tea is way low on the list.

As always, moderation is the key.
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2012 :  10:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi GS,
The "drug kick" thing is one part of it. The other one is the rest ofthe drink.
Green tea is good for skeleton health, rich in antioxidants, and even marketed in "condensed" pills - but I usually make it very thin to dillute the caffeine.
I started yoga early in my life and got never into coffee drinking, but I've met quite a few people whose pain in joints stopped for good after they had simply quit coffee.
Go to Top of Page

robfrommi

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  08:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been a Coffee drinker for 20 years and over time I have grown to be more sensitive to it. When i was in my early 20's I could drink a pot easily, now I have a rough time drinking 2 cups of half caffeine. I know for me it is time to give up this attachment.

Edited by - robfrommi on Nov 28 2012 4:42:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ruben

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  3:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ruben's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Coffee and oxygen

Geetananda (disciple of Ram Gopal Muzumdar, "The Sleepless Saint" in Yogananda's "Autobiography of a Yogi") used to drink coffee regularly. I studied with an early student of Geetananda who uses coffee before doing Pranayama. He, just like Geetananda, sleeps only 4 hours every day and is very energetic and productive, while also poised and balanced ;). I believe on top of his regular practices he does a short (10 mins or so, probably less) invigorating Pranayama session twice a day, after taking a cup of coffee to remain energetic and fresh throughout the day.

He explained coffee is not necessarily bad, depending on how it is used. If it is used to pep oneself up like people do in offices, it only drains more later. If it is used in combination with increased oxygen supply, it needs not be harmful at all and empowers the practice.

I do not remember the explanation he gave for the oxygen argument. In any case, he always emphasizes the importance of abundant oxygen for health. Neither do I remember whether he mentioned which pranayama he performs. (I do not drink coffee myself, so I was not that curious on this topic. Sorry about that.)

If you are very eager to know more, I can try contacting him and let you know. Feel free to send me a personal message in case I do not come back to this topic.

quote:
Originally posted by Godslave

I do spinal breathing followed by deep meditation daily. I also drink 1 cup of coffee most days. Is it better not to drink coffee? What about teas / caffeine?

I have the feeling that maybe I should stop drinking coffee and I'm trying to decide. I also sometimes drink green tea, oolong tea, and black tea which all have caffeine.

This may have been discussed before but I didn't see a search function for the forums.

Thanks in advance for any answers, hints, or comments :)

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  9:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by HathaTeacher

Hi GS,
The other one is the rest ofthe drink.

I've done quite a lot of looking into the health effects of coffee, and almost all of what I've read indicates that researchers are very nearly certain that coffee is, in general, beneficial.
Go to Top of Page

robfrommi

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2012 :  11:46:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by robfrommi

I've been a Coffee drinker for 20 years and over time I have grown to be more sensitive to it. When i was in my early 20's I could drink a pot easily, now I have a rough time drinking 2 cups of half caffeine. I know for me it is time to give up this attachment.

Update to my progress. I failed miserably, I quit for a week though.
Go to Top of Page

FutureHumanDestiny

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2012 :  11:24:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what reason makes you consider removing coffee?

spiritually speaking, coffee is not itself intrinsically bad or good, however, the 'clinging' to it is very bad. if your mind is constantly thinking of coffee, then that karma must be dissolved both by renunciation and by meditation. if you're not addicted, then why quit?
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  08:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000