Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 About Mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stillpool

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  09:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey all.

The mantra almost always comes to me as a longer, more drawn out sound. Hardly never as a short impulse of a sound. It is quiet, yes. Easy, yes. And sometimes, though it is more pronounced and drawn out, it gets softer and softer til I notice that I have forgotten where I am, or catch myself in other thoughts. This is the way that feels natural to me, long and drawn out. But sometimes I feel like I am doing it wrong if it is not a very short, quick repetition of the mantra. Should I follow my good feeling and do it the way that comes naturally to me, or should I make some adjustment and try to "guide" the mantra to be shorter? Thanks!

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  09:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely the way it comes naturally to you.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  10:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go with what comes up naturally, without analyzing it. It sounds like you are paying a lot of attention to what it sounds like or how it feels etc. The less attention you pay to the mantra, the better the chances of losing it and coming back to it... remember, the process is to pick the mantra, lose it and come back to it... During the process, let the mantra change to what it wants... don't worry about it... it will change a lot over time, over sessions ... in fact it will change a lot during a single session...

Sounds like good things are happening and you are doing well in going with what feels natural.

Wish you all the best!
Go to Top of Page

Stillpool

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  07:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
But if I don't pay attention to the mantra it doesn't seem to repeat at all...
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  08:10:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stillpool,

This is the section from lesson 13 describing the procedure:

quote:
Once you have gotten comfortable, slowly close your eyes. You will notice thoughts, streams of thoughts. That is fine. Just observe them without minding them. After about a minute, gently introduce the thought …I AM… and begin to repeat it easily and effortlessly in your mind. If your mind wanders off into other thoughts, you will eventually realize this has happened. Don't be concerned about it. It is natural. When you realize you are not repeating the mantra, gently go back to it. This is all you have to do. Easily repeat the mantra silently inside. When you realize you are not thinking it, then easily come back to it. The goal is not to stay on it. The goal is to follow the simple procedure of thinking the mantra, losing it, and coming back to it when you find you have lost it. Do not resist if the mantra tends to become less distinct. Thinking the mantra does not have to be with clear pronunciation. I AM can be experienced at many levels in your mind and nervous system. When you come back to it, come back to a level that is comfortable, not straining for either a clear or fuzzy pronunciation.

So yes, it is the attention that we bring to the mantra. I am sure Shanti is just saying not to worry too much about how the mantra sounds, if it is short or long, distinct or fuzzy etc. Just simple attention to the repetition of the mantra is enough.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  08:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, what Christi said (Thanks Christi!). Sorry my words were not clear.
The attention is on repeating the mantra not focusing on how the sound, or clarity or speed of repetition is changing.
Sorry for the confusion, Stillpool.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  11:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The process of repetition sets the mind in motion. But for the mind to be set in motion, paradoxically, there must be a point of stillness to reference. Playing music yields a full mind-body-spirit realization of this dynamic. I do it everyday, and it's quite wonderful. What I mean by "point of stillness" is actually a non-point that nevertheless both exists and non-exists. Again, a paradox. But it is true. When you tap a beat of 1-2-3-4, in order to repeat this beat phrase and thereby generate rhythm, your mind must softly focus on the gap between the last #4 of the phrase and the first #1 of the next. Similarly, to repeat the mantra in the mind, the mind must reference that end/beginning non-point (stillness) to generate repetition. Stillness is the point of reference because it is unchanging, yet infinite and fully aware of all changing things.

The only way to focus on a non-point (of which stillness is the only One) is to become that non-point. And you become it by using an object that can dissolve and merge with that Source.That's why if you tried to focus on stillness directly without using the process of repeating an object, the mind would constantly try to objectify stillness, which can't be objectified, because IT JUST IS. But like the Buddhists say, we come to Nirvana (liberation) by means of Samsara (the cycle of suffering). Similarly, we come to stillness through the refining and repetition of the mantra. Union. Yoga is union of divinity and creation. Deep Meditation is union of object and non-object. Like magic. Beyond comprehension, but true.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we focus on stillness in Deep Meditation, but we do have to reference/remember/become aware of IT just to simply repeat the mantra in the mind.
Go to Top of Page

Stillpool

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  9:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Does "back to back" imply a rate of speed? Or do we think the mantra then let go.til.we.become aware that we are thinking and have the thought.to.return to.the.mantra?

I start the process fine but then.spend the rest of my session second guessing how I am thinking the mantra. Any cure?
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  9:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Back to back means nothing in between.
The idea is to minimize thoughts by repeating the mantra.
So you are minimizing ALL thoughts including how you are doing the mantra, if it's right, etc. These are all thoughts, and must be gently ignored as you return to the mantra.

Just do the mantra, and save all criticisms for another time.
Doing it right is much less important than just returning to the mantra, right or wrong.
Then you will see your mind will do anything to interfere, but you can still let it go and do the mantra.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  10:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Stillpool
[I start the process fine but then.spend the rest of my session second guessing how I am thinking the mantra. Any cure?

The only cure is to easily favor the repetition of the mantra. Let's break down what "easily favoring" means. To "favor" something, you must first have a choice between, and therefore an awareness of, two or more options. So, for instance, you have a choice between vanilla, chocolate, or coffee ice cream. 3 choices...but which do you favor? You have to pick one. Let's say vanilla. Similarly, when you sit down to meditate, let's say you have three choices (purely hypothetical): 1) you can begin repeating the mantra in the mind, and when you realize you're not doing so, easily come back to its repetition 2) you can analyze how fast you're repeating the mantra and the amount of time in between repetitions 3) you can try to remember every person's name you ever met in this life. So, in Deep Meditation, you must favor choice #1 over #2 and #3, though #2 and #3 will always be available, just like the store that offers a variety of ice cream.

Now, what if you favor the vanilla ice cream, and some joker man throws chocolate and coffee onto your pure, white scoop of vanilla resting on the waffle cone. Now, you think: "That bastard has ruined my favoring of vanilla!" But he hasn't, really, because the only choice you had to make was the initial decision of picking one flavor. Similarly, let's say in easily favoring the repetition of the mantra, you find yourself contemplating the mantra's speed and rhythmic patterns, and you think: "Damn, this analysis and obsession with speed and space between mantra phrases is ruining my practice!" But it's not, really, unless you favor the analysis over the repetition. Just as you can't stop some psychotic man from ruining your pure vanilla, neither can you stop thoughts from arising related to the control or regulation of the mantra's repetition. You can only choose to repeat the mantra when the choice is available, and the choice won't always be available--because you'll be lost deep in some layer of your karmic matrix--and that is great! Because the getting lost happens automatically without any conscious effort! The only conscious effort is to favor the process of mantra's repetition. There's no blocking out thought-streams (including analytical ones) from the mantra's sound. They mix sometimes. It's all gravy.

So simple, so consistent, so easy to do the more you surrender to the flow of the technique without any expectation of the results or scenery. It's just time and practice--that's all. It gets easier--have no fear.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000