Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Fun video download
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  11:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
It's an hour and a half, so get your popcorn lined up. It's a pro-new age presentation about the "law of attraction" (which to my mind is just an updated presentation of the "law of karma").

I've noticed that the concept of karma isn't up for discussion much around here or on the other forums I check out. I think that it is an important idea to consider, but that the acceptance or rejection of the theory is a very personal/religious thing and can't be 100% empirically tested from the physical dimension.

For better or worse, it has a hint of the Davinci Code conspiracy theory in it in the very beginning, (which I think works against the message of freedom: either you are a victim of the system or you created it... one needs a firm position statement on this subject, imo.)

The problem with the law of attraction is identical to the problems with the law of karma... but LOA seems to have fixed some of the more dreary and possibly outdated implications of karma theory.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...006&q=secret

-Yoda

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2006 :  12:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I watched the first 35 minutes of it, but I have to go to bed shortly so I'll finish it tomorrow. It was well made. I wasn't aware that so many people believed that their thoughts manifest reality. I'm not sure if it really works that way. I think it is good to be positive and know what you want, though. Thanks for posting it, Yoda.

-Scott
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2006 :  2:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Silence allows thought/words to manifest reality. That's why 90% of hypnosis isn't the "suggestion" (i.e. the action or behavior that is being elicited), but the cultivation of relaxation into a state where the suggestion (nothing more than a thought/word) will be effective. I'm nowhere near there yet, myself, and if I am I hope I'll have the self-control not to dabble around in it (because it's a trap), but I fully believe that absolute silence gives thought/words absolute power. The ultimate example: the thought/statement "Let There Be Light".

Even with very little silence involved, if I tell you it's awfully cold in here or that I'm hungry, I have power to create an effect in you. Thoughts and words are quite potent.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2006 :  5:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm one of those people that needs to "see to believe". That's one thing that attracted me to this website, along with how it seems to be more down to earth, comparatively. I haven't yet seen this theory to be the case...but to each his own.

-Scott
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  06:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,

yes, we want to see to believe, but we also need to "feel" to believe !

regards
Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  09:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wolfgang,

I do feel. I'm just very passionate about knowing the truth. I come from a philosophical background.

-Scott
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  10:46:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,

seems we have some things in common.
I too love Philosophy.
Meanwhile I took the time to watch the above video
and I must say, I am very impressed by it.
Of course this leads us into understanding reality,
a big subject ...
I am also a scientific person, trying to apply reason
and logic ...
I am also a religious person trying to experience
God and truth.
It's nice to be able to talk to you and to others
here in this forum.

regards
Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  3:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

The theory of the folks on the video is that if you learn to experience positive emotions even in the realm of mundane desires, doing so will increasingly inspire one to desire even higher emotional states of love, ecstacy, sharing, etc. An updated tantra system.

If anyone is interested in more on this subject, there's some discussion/debate at taobums.com about it.

I agree with Jim that the cultivation of inner silence is the absolute, ground zero, essential skill needed to make the whole law of attraction thing work to any extent which isn't as well represented as it should be.

I'd summarize their message in traditional terms of "ask and ye shall receive" and "seek ye first the kingdom of God and all else will be added unto you."

-Yoda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000