Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Finding discipline for daily practices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leo17

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  6:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Ideally, I would like to do spinal breathing and mediation for 30 mins. twice a day, morning and evening. But I've yet to establish a practice that lasted more than 2 weeks.

How do you guys set the routine. Is it like brushing your teeth now, you just do it? What motivates you and keeps you from falling back into old habits? Do you find you "need" it after doing it for a while?

Thanks. Much Love

Leo

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  6:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Leo

I reckon this lesson should answer your question http://www.aypsite.org/339.html

The thing that keeps me going is to find out the question 'Who am I?'. From practising I have the ecstatic conductivity and bliss arising. This is great (understatement) to have - if people could be given a 'sneak preview' I bet everyone would start a practice.

However, when experiencing such things I always have the question: 'Who is experiencing this?' and that is what keeps the twice daily practice up. Is there more than this? Most definitely, and there's only one way to find out.

I think the longer you practise the more you will want to progress and purify. I don't know if you 'need' to do it. It's not like an addiction, but I suppose, in a sense, it is because I want to know the answer. What differs, though is that it isn't a self-harming addiction.

Yeah, it is a routine like brushing your teeth, but a lot more interesting.

You will find from meditation that old habits will disappear and from Samyama and Self Inquiry you can nip such thoughts in the bud and let them go.

Maybe meditate for 20 mins twice a day and see how that goes. If not try 15 minutes twice a day.

All the best!
Go to Top of Page

Leo17

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  8:14:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks woosa.

I want the ecstatic conductivity and bliss very much!! Thanks for your reply.

Leo
Go to Top of Page

SuryaDeva

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  8:25:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Leo

It's so hard for me to find the discipline to do regular practice!
When I started doing yoga and got my first taste of pure bliss it was easy because I wanted to get more and more of it. But then to my own amazement I grew bored and lazy with my practice and took that remaining bliss and contentment for granted. It lasted for a few months and then I ran out of it... Now trying to find it again...I think it's natural for people to get inspired and then stop then start again - it's part of the path of knowing oneself...

Good luck to you
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2013 :  10:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Leo,

It is tough to get started. It does take a little faith to take the time before you get the results. For me I just set my alarm back in the moring and do it as soon as I wake up. In the evening i do it before I go to bed. I don't have any negative effect by doing it before I sleep.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2013 :  8:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I second the sentiments of woosa wholeheartedly. That inner hunger for self-inquiry is the driving force that sustains my daily practice--and of course to acquire siddhis and be a superhuman. Kidding.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  2:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I don't like something that I experience during the day or I remember the lost ones, I ask: Why am not enlightened yet? Today's happiness is tomorrow's pain. Every body dies. But there is more than matter and energy.

That drives me.

It helps the android app "MY CHAIN". Use one widget (in your mobile phone main screen) for Morning's Yoga and another one for Evening's (or night) Yoga. Let's see how big can you grow that chain.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000