Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 1 day Break in a week
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

milind

India
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  02:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear all,

I want to ask 1 day break in a week is good or Continuous practice is good.

During heavy practice of pranayama and cleansing technique I think 1 day break reduces some bad effects like headache, stress.

So I want guidance, we should practice continuously or 1 day break is beneficial.

Please guide.

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  02:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what are the heavy pranayama and cleansing techniques that you are doing?
Go to Top of Page

milind

India
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  02:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am doing Bhastrika for 1 and 1/2 Hours daily.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  03:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
woowww that is way too much!
in ayp we dont do any kind of pranayama for hours...it is just for minutes
pranayama is to be used wisely!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  07:48:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Milind,

I agree with Maheswari, you are doing far too much bastrika. It will lead to the conditions that you are already experiencing, headaches, stress etc. It can even lead to far worse if you continue. Pranayama is a delicate science and it needs to be handled carefully.

If I were you I would read through the main lessons on this website starting here:

http://www.aypsite.org/10.html

Learn how to meditate using a mantra, and how to practice spinal breathing pranayama if you have not done so already. Learn how to add mudras and bandhas to your yoga.

Bastrika is introduced in lesson 171:

http://www.aypsite.org/171.html

This is what Yogani says about it:

"First, spinal bastrika is not a cure-all, not a very good stand-alone practice. It will only work well if sufficient prerequisite practices have been stable for some time. These include spinal breathing and deep meditation. Spinal bastrika is done in-between these two during sitting practices. Its greatest effects are found when it is used in conjunction with the core practices of spinal breathing and meditation." [Yogani]

Spinal bastrika is similar to bastrika only safer, because there is less tendency for prana to become unstable.

When used in this way, even a few minutes of bastrika is enough to purify the subtle body to a high degree. Or even a few seconds can be enough, depending on the state of the nervous system.

So take it easy, and start at the beginning adding one thing at a time.

All the best

Christi
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  09:56:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I fully agree with Maheshwari and Christi.
Sounds too much like practicing "more of the same" all the time.

When an intense pranayama (typically, Bhastrika or Kapalabhati) feels destabilizing, adding a few rounds of alternate-nostril breathing immediately after tends to help, to calm down (Nadi Shodana, Anuloma Viloma, Surya Bhedana/Chandra Bhedana).
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  09:27:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Ichigo

Israel
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  09:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to disagree. one can do Bhastrika or any other rapid breathing Pranayama up to 3 hours in different asana to infuse the body with prana/air in different places. after a certain amount of time when the lungs will change it's attitude and start compressing most of the air into the system by pushing it below the navel and from there to the groin area, it will spark and arouse the kundalini. when the lungs won't rip you off you will be able to raise the kundalini to the head almost on a daily session with no more then 30 min of full bursts of Bhastrika with some potential asana and locks to move Kundalini from the Mulachakra. though you got to be careful, if the locks aren't efficient you might blackout and hurt yourself.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2012 :  10:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by milind

I am doing Bhastrika for 1 and 1/2 Hours daily.

dude, that is insane.

bastrika here for more than a minute would be catastrophic. you should be careful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000