Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Overload of Karma, or Just life??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  01:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Y'all

Ever since I have started my new yoga practise, including spinal breathing, i have noticed an excess of negative karma coming my way.

Lots of immense stress and frustrations, and just general bad stuff happening in my personal life.

Is this related to the intensity of meditation with the SB???

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  01:44:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello SparklingDiamond
"bad" things are bound to happen in life...this is life and we take as it comes...

however, in order to know if you are overloading or not can u answer those questions:
what were your practices before adding SBP? how many minutes for each practice?
do you rest after your sitting practices?
do you feel stressed for no reason? do you feel that you are edgy and aggressive with people for no valid reason and that your stressed out behavior is exagerated??
Go to Top of Page

crazymandrew

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  02:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit crazymandrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can become more prone to negative spirits when your chakras open up and you become spiritually aware.

As for bad events. Your thoughts create your reality. Positive thoughts = great reality. The one exception is that people in your environmental can influence your reality to some degree too.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  07:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi maheswari

My practice before was haphazard, although in saying that, I have practised since 25 years ago. Sometimes very disciplined, and then slacken off to once to twice a week. This is an ongoing problem for me, is being disciplined enough with my practise. I dont know if you can offer any words of advice on this. Sometimes i am very good for about two weeks, and then not soo good and may practise for just once to twice a week or so, and then back into it everyday for a week or so.

I would practise at each session 20minutes per day, and that was primarily TM meditation.

I rest for 2 mins after my practise.

My stressed out behaviour is very exaggerated atm, and not coping well.

today during my SB, i was overcome with emotion and was crying, but couldn't pinpoint any reason why.I also this time felt a lot of movement throughout my body. First i noticed energy movements in my head and then into my body, but it didnt concern me.

I have also been practising this new SB , off and on, now for about a month, i think it is. and I did add the ujayyi breathing, which is fine. But one session after that, i added the mulabanda, but think it may have been too premature, so stopped it after first session. I practised the regular meditation for a week, and followed yoganis instructiopms on how long to wait and then to do the SB, so that as on time.

I am very edgy, but i am suffering atm on a physical level, so everything is more difficult for me atm, and it's making me edgier, and my anxiety is higher.

Any helpful words? I very much love this site, and feel i am onto the right path, just dont understand why i have been knocked down by this negative event, that is cuasing me so much suffering atm.

Blessings,

M
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  08:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SparklingDiamond

Pretty sure Maha will have better advice for you, but my two cents would be to cut down on the spinal breathing. The energy symptoms you are experiencing are the clue that it might be too much. Try cutting down your SB time by half, with no bandhas for now. Additionally, it sounds like you are not resting enough. Try increasing your rest time to 7-10 minutes. Generalized anxiety and irritability can occur with not enough rest.

Also, I personally don't think it is "bad" karma Practices like these "loosen up" stuff that is within, bringing it to the surface and into our awareness. If we are not ready to process it and let it go, it can cause suffering. As we continue to cultivate inner silence, the ability to process such loose debris becomes stronger (and easier), and with that, nothing really seems "bad". Patience and persistence are the key. Also, it really helps to be kind to oneself during this whole process.

With regard to your practice inconsistency issue, is it that you don't have the time for twice-daily sessions or just don't feel like it? Until it becomes a habit, we do need to consciously make an effort to practice. One thing that helps me with this is developing devotion to a chosen ideal. Longing for the ishta is very powerful in aiding consistency.

Hope this helps. All the best to you.

Love,
kami
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  01:54:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dear SparklingDiamond
Kami gave you very good advice...cut down the time of SBP and if this does not work then stop SBP completely and just stick to cultivating inner silence through your meditation and make sure to rest 10 min afterwards

dont worry this too will pass

we are slowly loosening up the blockages in our nervous system ...so some "negative" stuff are bound to appear before they completely disappear....

also engage in more physical activity and grounding activities ...go for a fast walk....do some gardening....meet friends ....

all will be fine
Love
maheswari
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  04:25:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Maheswari and kami

Will follow both your advice.

So you think this is overload???

Very disappointing if I have to give up SB altogether :( That would feel like a real step back in my evolution.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  04:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
it is not a step back into your spiritual evolution...on the contrary your batteries are already too full...so take it easy, it is a marathon not a sprint
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  05:02:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Haha! Thanks Maheswari. Trust me to get ahead of myself! Can't seem to do things in balance, but will learn.

Batteries seem to be too full of the negative, and not enough of the positive, i'm afraid.

Thank you so much!!
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  05:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
it is releasing of obstructions....it may sound "negative" but the end result is "postive"....but off course this is no excuse to do too much practices that we are unable to smoothly process for the time being....
Go to Top of Page

kevincann

USA
335 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  12:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

One of my favorite sayings of all time may apply here:

"Life is what happens when you don't get your way".

Not getting 'your way' is really the essence of yoga.

AYP practices definitely start opening the door to Life,
which is neither tame nor predictable.

Love,

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  10:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kevincann

One of my favorite sayings of all time may apply here:

"Life is what happens when you don't get your way".

Not getting 'your way' is really the essence of yoga.

AYP practices definitely start opening the door to Life,
which is neither tame nor predictable.

Love,

Kevin

:) Haha! I love that!

Yes, life is not for the faint hearted. IT is wild and unpredictable.

And not getting 'my way'?

I'm a stubborn taurean, so not getting 'my way' has been a true test in life for me.

But i so love this site, and it resonates strongly the info that yogani has supplied, and I want to do it all now! :)

Will try patience for a change, as long as I don't have to give up the SB altogether.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  10:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Maheswari.

So this is not necessarily a bad thing ?

Thinking then of cutting SB to 5mins only (instead of the ten mins I was practising), could I keep the ujayyi on the outbreath or not at this stage?

Also if I cut Sb back to 5 mins, do I still have to rest at end of meditation for ten minutes???

Thank you ever so much for assisting me on my path. :)
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  06:26:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
stop ujayyi for now...remember you added too many practices at the same time!!
resting is a must after each sitting...even if you totally stop SBP you should rest for 10 minutes...not only energy but also inner silence has to settle down....
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  08:13:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks Maheswari

Do u think twice a day practise of 5mins SB and regular 20 min meditation is fine?

Feeling much much better already. Anxiety much lower.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  1:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
your inner guru is the best guide....listen to it,.be honest with yourself, and do the necessary adjustments to your practices as required on your path...it is not a frozen recipe of practices, "what to do or not to do"
(the latter in case of overload) fluctuates ...one has to continuously reassess ...
if 5mins SB and regular 20 min meditation seem fine (honestly) then keep stick to this routine for at least few months...
all the best!
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  12:42:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So how does one know when one is ready to go to the ten mins of SB?

the thing is that in the lessons, it says a week of meditation practise and then to move on to the spinal breathing.

I think twice a week is good for me, as i am not a novice to meditation. :)

P.S. I didnt realize how powerful simple techniques as SB and ujayyi and malabandha could be.

Although in saying that i practised Ashtanga yoga for a while (I mean the postures, not meditationO) and practised regularly the ujayyi breathing without any untoward effects or 'overload'

Honestly, i am starting to wonder if the physical suffering i was going through is what was making me edgier, rather than the actual meditation practises themselves. Having pain constantly can make one 'edgier' and anxious more than normal, of course.

Anyway, back to it, and many thanks maheswari and others.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  01:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Sparkling,

Kami gave you some of the best advice you'll get.

There is absolutely no need for you to practice spinal breathing or even meditation twice a day if it is causing you to feel edgy or nervous. Do what you're body tells you... enough to continue loosening karmic stuff up (a good thing) but not so much that all that stuff overwhelms you ( a not so good thing!). There are many people here that "self-pace" practices to the extent that they don't do that much practice.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  09:00:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kami

Hi SparklingDiamond

Pretty sure Maha will have better advice for you, but my two cents would be to cut down on the spinal breathing. The energy symptoms you are experiencing are the clue that it might be too much. Try cutting down your SB time by half, with no bandhas for now. Additionally, it sounds like you are not resting enough. Try increasing your rest time to 7-10 minutes. Generalized anxiety and irritability can occur with not enough rest.

Also, I personally don't think it is "bad" karma Practices like these "loosen up" stuff that is within, bringing it to the surface and into our awareness. If we are not ready to process it and let it go, it can cause suffering. As we continue to cultivate inner silence, the ability to process such loose debris becomes stronger (and easier), and with that, nothing really seems "bad". Patience and persistence are the key. Also, it really helps to be kind to oneself during this whole process.

With regard to your practice inconsistency issue, is it that you don't have the time for twice-daily sessions or just don't feel like it? Until it becomes a habit, we do need to consciously make an effort to practice. One thing that helps me with this is developing devotion to a chosen ideal. Longing for the ishta is very powerful in aiding consistency.

Hope this helps. All the best to you.

Love,
kami

Hi Kami

sorry i forgot to answer your question.

Sometimes it is a time factor, life gets so busy. And other times, I just put it off, like I don't want to do it, for some reason. So it is, unfortunately a bit haphazard.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  09:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your advice tonightsthenight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000