Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deep Meditation Evolution
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  10:57:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Noticing some changes in DM here for the last several weeks, and hoping to gain some insight..

DM is started in the usual way - bringing the mantra to mind (third enhancement) and then the mind back to it every time it wanders, just like it has been for the last 2 years. A few minutes into it, the quality of the mantra changes - from being "vocalized" in the mind to being noticed as a coarse vibration, no clear words, but just a vague "sense" of the words. At this point, the vibration is noticed physically mainly in the heart and throat, and a tingling begins in the crown. Through this whole time, there is "witnessing" of the meditator. Then, a few more minutes into this, the mantra becomes a more subtle vibration, now felt as an expansion and "heaviness" in the chest and throat, and the crown tingling becomes more noticed, sometimes felt as an itching sensation. At some point here, there is awareness of the witness witnessing the meditator. This sometimes leads to brief periods of being "lost".. Then the mantra is picked up again at the subtle vibration and the cycle continues. A few rounds of this, and then I notice being in an expanded silent bubble - external noises are "muffled" and distant, same with any arising thoughts..

For the last few days, I feel as though I'm floating a foot off the cushion, even though I'm aware of being firmly on it - strange, I know Samyama after this is another story!! The heaviness and crown tingling subside during rest.

It is a subtle shift that happens going from the coarse to the subtle vibration - simultaneously with the witness "turning upon itself". This last piece seems to happen spontaneously throughout the day as well..

Is this a common experience? Should I be doing anything different in terms of DM technique, or just go with it for now?

Thanks for any advice.

kami

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  11:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This fairly accurately portrays my DM experiences (during a certain "phase") so I would say that this is normal. I wouldn't do anything different.

Love!
Carson
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  8:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you dear Carson!!

So, what happened after that "phase"? What is DM like for you now? Just curious

Love to you,
kami
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  2:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kavi

For me, meditation cycles through a few different types of experiences. The experiences don't seem to be "linear" in that one cycle leads to the next and to the next etc etc so I can't really answer the "what happened after that phase" question.

The general DM experience for me these days is one where I begin consciously repeating the mantra, lose conscious awareness of the mantra and then within about 5 mins I notice that the mantra is repeating itself and there are lots of seemingly irrelevant thoughts going on in the background. Once I notice this I consciously go back to repeating the mantra and the cycle repeats. Been in this "phase" since around the time I dropped my second practice for the pacing reasons talked about (I think) in the "Ecstatic energy in the legs" thread here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=11731

Not sure if meditation goes through cycles like this for everyone, but I suspect to one degree or another, they do. At least during some stage of the journey.

Lots of Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  08:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Carson!

Wow, what you are describing is what seems to be happening the last few days here.

Also, wondering about the crown symptoms. I don't focus on it at all, and have long since given up chin pump, bastrika or other energy practices. Some days, it continues all day - tingling/achy kind of thing that makes me want to have a lot of coffee

Did you have this? If so, does it go away? Is there something I should do or not do?

Thanks so much Carson!

Love you,
kami
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  1:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kami

The crown sensations I experience are in general intermittent and not long lasting. They can however be induced through a few specific "practices," although that is never the goal.

For example, when I am at home with the family and we are sitting down to dinner, we will all join hands, bow our heads and release the sutra (samyama style) "Gratitude" to silence, which almost always gives me strong crown sensations and energy rushes that have all the hair on my whole body standing on end and have my eyes rolling into Sambhavi and have automatic mula and uddiyana bandha occuring. This goes away within a minute or so of releasing our hands, opening my eyes and beginning to eat.

In general, for me, when I have had crown sensations that are persistent, annoying or uncomfortable (I don't usually have any "ache" but the itching has in the past been overwhelming at times) I will cut back on practices, increase grounding (as possible), and let the sensations subside before increasing practice times again. I know that for me, lasting crown sensations are a sign of overdoing and an early warning sign that if I do not heed, I will be in real trouble soon enough. I have learned now that when this happens it is time to adjust. That may or may not be the case for you. The only advice I can really (ever) give is to listen to what your heart is saying, and then act on what you know to be right in your heart.

Lots of love to you Kami
Carson
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  2:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again Carson!!

Strange - a few minutes after I posted this, I was still working on my computer when the headache turned into a pressure; nothing intense, but just sort of building up. And suddenly, there was an inaudible but loud "pop" somewhere in the crown area; for many minutes after, I felt disoriented, and everything I looked at seemed "shifted" in some subtle way, with a 3-D quality.. Table, chairs, and inanimate objects looked "alive" for lack of a better word. My first conscious thought after this was, "WTH?" And then I did consider the real possibility of having a TIA or stroke, except that the ache felt better (doesn't happen if it really is a TIA). Went about my business, noticing that the pressure had lessened. An hour later, another "pop" and the same thing.. Happened a few more times, each time the pop leading to cessation of all thought and a vivid, intense "in the now" experience.. and the headache finally went away.. Nothing I consciously "did" made that happen..

Good advice on cutting back - will do!

Thanks again and much love to you.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  4:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kami

Interesting experience! I could actually feel "sympathetic sensations" (not sure what else to call them) as I read the above post. Not sure what TIA stands for, but I'm happy it wasn't that.

The sensations I experienced when reading your post reminded me a bit of being on mushrooms. The quality of seeing (the "3D effect") was very similar to how it is on mushrooms as was the intense "in the now" experience. Neat that you had that kind of experience without ingesting anything and that it also alleviated some of the uncomfortable crown sensations.

I'm not sure where you go from here, but I'm sure that you do (if not on the surface then deep inside). It sounds like (based on the last couple months or so of postings I've read of yours) that things are really moving along for you and that makes me very happy. I remember the last time I saw you in person and how you "felt" then, and compared to now there feels like there has been much growth, and stabilization and that you are finally being given the confirmatory experiences you seemed to be looking for the last time we saw each other in the flesh. I hope we get to see each other again someday in the future.

Best of luck to you and much love to you and your whole family.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000