Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 A couple of questions from a novice!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sover

Sweden
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  06:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone :)

I've just started meditating (12 days deep on 2x20min DM before which I I had been meditating on my breath for 2 weeks, 10 minutes a day) and have a few questions regarding to the practice of meditating and it's effects.

1. The first thing I'm unsure about is how the repetition of the mantra (I AM) should be repeated. For example, during the first week of DM, the mantra was "spoken" inside my head, like a normal thought at nose-height inside my head. Sometimes the voice has been louder, sometimes like a chanting monk (like the "classic" strong Om-chanting), sometimes it has felt like it's almost been whispered to me and a usually it takes the form of a silent, more still (but deep) repetition located higher up in my head. Are all these fine, does the effectiveness of the cleansing vary depending on the voice with which the mantra is repeated?

2. Is it necessary to breathe deeply during meditation? It tends to steal my focus from the mantra..

3. I can't help but to anticipate or wish for changes in my bodily state (tingling etc). Are there any advice on this issue or is the solution merely to keep focusing on the mantra and view these wishes as any other distraction?

4. A couple of days ago I experienced how my body was breathing (expanding/contracting in a consistent, calm tempo) even when I didn't breathe through my lungs. Out of curiousity, does anyone know what that was all about?

5. I know I'm just starting out but how do I know when I should be self pacing? What emotional changes can overpracticing cause? Stress? Too much calmness? Also, how do I know when I should be moving on to pranayama etc? Is that something I should be winging on my own?

6. I've been using a timer for the most part, without which I would constantly go over or under the 20 minutes by a couple. I read this is fine as long as it's not done intentionally but I feel as if this true only for 1-2 minutes over the 20 or 5-7 too? My perception of time during meditation can vary greatly from day to day depending on how much I'm enjoying it. If so, is it recommended to use a watch or something to be used as to check how much time has passed during meditation or can I go totally on my gut feeling as long as I aim for the 20 minute mark?

Thank you for staying with me all the way down here! :)

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  07:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sover

1. When you are repeating the mantra do not deliberately focus your attention anywhere in the body (or anywhere else). Just easily repeat the mantra at whatever volume/ tempo you start at. As you relax the tempo/ pitch will change. Don't worry about it changing sometimes it can be loud/ quiet, fast/slow - it doesn't matter as long as you keep repeating it. And when you stop repeating the mantra you go back to it. The rest will handle itself.

2. Don't worry about breathing. That'll take care of itself. Just gently repeat the mantra.

3. All good things come with time!

4. Any experiences that occur while meditating are classed as 'scenery' and the mantra should be repeated.

5. Self pacing should be administered when there is any discomfort with your practice - i.e. pain, strong emotions etc that are too much to handle. If any discomfort is felt during your daily activities then you will know that you should decrease your practice.

6. I use a timer and if I feel that I have had enough i.e. I am starting to come out of the session or I feel discomfort (rare) then I just lie down and rest. This can be 2-5 mins before the 20 minutes. Although this is rare. I find that if I push myself I can end up with a headache. With practise you will know for yourself.

Good luck with your practise and welcome!
Go to Top of Page

Sover

Sweden
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  09:34:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! :)
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2012 :  10:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Sover,
It is like that for me too with going overtime without realizing it despite having sufficient automatic cues from the body that usually work almost as good as a timer. I think the idea with timing is to establish a baseline from where to work with, in addition to maintaining a stable platform for ever-ongoing opening and purification. I doubt some deviations will make much of a difference, but for those who are more sensitive any bit of change seems to have a big impact. Like Woosa said, get to know yourself through practice.
Go to Top of Page

Sover

Sweden
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  03:07:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I came up with a solution that might be helpful to someone else in a similar situation. What I do now is I set the timer on 30 minutes to make sure I don't go over WAY to much (it lets me not think about that particular issue) and then I stop when it feels like I'm done (on a good day when I'm enjoying it) and on the bad ones I try to not watch the timer too soon. It's working better for me since I now don't anticipate the bell ringing before I feel like I'm done, and when I can really get into it the timer stops me from going for way too long.

Thanks for your help and opinions on this!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000