Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 What are "the unique matrix of obstructions"?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skycrimson Blue

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  09:29:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and to AYP in general. I have been reading Yogani's lessons and was intriqued by this passage in Lesson 365- The Range of Sensitivity to Deep Meditation...."Everyone is a little different in how they may respond to spiritual practices, and particularly to deep meditation with mantra. It is a powerful technique. How it functions in each person will depend on the unique matrix of obstructions combined with openings already present in the individual nervous system...." My question is, what is meant by "obstructions"? Are they psychological? Physical? Psychic? Past life/karmic? Also how do they manifest when we meditate, and how do they keep us from reaching inner stillness?

Thanks

Lisa

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  11:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Obstructions may seem like an obtuse term.

There is a reason for that; they are little understood.

Obstructions can manifest on one or multiple levels. They can manifest as emotional, mental or physical blocks, but they are also present on deeper karmic levels. The precise nature of these blocks is essentially unknowable, because even if we were able to measure and and qualify all this information, we would need vast arrays of supercomputers in order to account for all of one's karma, which is essentially the same as all extant karma.

Meditation and other practices, not necessarily yogic in nature, assist in both presenting and relieving of obstructions.

Obstructions are normally well-hidden in the organism. One could call these latent obstructions.

Once the obstructions become active, one may use practices to move beyond the obstructions, essentially transcending (dissolving, if you prefer) them.

I hope that helps.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  11:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the AYP forums!

See if these topics help (or confuse you further ):
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1728
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=9750

And agree with TTN... they are at many levels.. some of the posts in those topics above cover that as well.
Go to Top of Page

Skycrimson Blue

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  11:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tonight,

thank you for responding.....though your explanation is a bit cryptic, I think I am getting the gyst of it. I believe that we carry all kinds of "stuff" in our aura/energy field....some from this lifetime, most from eons of other lifetimes. I have even heard that "entities" can live in our energy field just like bacteria live on/in our bodies. So I guess that when universal energy is released through our nervous system in deep meditation or body work these blocks loosen up and we have the opportunity to process them....but like you said much of this is unknowable. For myself, I feel I am at a point where I KNOW I am STUCK in certain areas, but I am not sure how to become UNSTUCK. Though I have been doing yoga and meditation for a while (though more yoga then meditation), I feel the pull to really focus on meditation and hence found this site.

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Skycrimson Blue

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  12:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti,

Great reading material! It will take me a while to get through.....I should have known that this topic would have been covered before, but I did not see it.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  7:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the cryptic-ness Sky. It's just how it is really. Entities, no entities, multiple lifetimes, we can't know that stuff, and our approach would be the same regardless.

Yoga is meant to be experienced rather than explained :P

Anyways, meditation IS yoga, so you best get on that horse if it's calling you. You can get "unstuck" through practice. Your practice need not be limited to yoga per se, although some here follow AYP exclusively and it seems to work for many. That's a choice you'll have to make for yourself.

Good luck :D
Go to Top of Page

Skycrimson Blue

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  8:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, tonight, you are right...it is ALL yoga.... I am excited to enter this practice and I feel that I am ready to make the commitment.

Sky
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  9:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a great question, and one that I think about often. In my experience, I also use this question as a tool of self-inquiry. Like any other form of self-inquiry, the key is releasing the question in stillness, without necessarily expecting a concrete or definite answer. What are my obstructions?...

One thing I notice both during meditation and during my daily life is that there are certain trademarks when an obstruction is dissolved. One of these trademarks is that I feel an expansion of inner space, and the inner space reflects ITSELF on what I perceive externally. So, for instance, while meditating on the mantra and diving deeper and deeper through the layers of subconscious memories (samskaras), suddenly I will find that my mind-body has been freed of a packet of thought-streams and their corresponding constriction in my nervous system. That "packet" surely also has implications in my habitual patterns (cravings, fears, doubts, troubles, etc.). But, at that instantaneous moment when the obstruction is released, there is that great experience of inner-space-expansion I mentioned. Such a wonderful symptom of purification and opening.

Of course, this occurs not because of any analysis or surgical attempt on my part to remove the packets. It is simply by following the mantra technique of easily favoring the inner sound that removal of obstructions occurs. Truly, a genius method because of its simplicity and surrender to the prime nature of reality, which is stillness.

I saw a psychological counselor for a while, and I found that the therapist was trying to achieve this removal by directing me to childhood trauma. But to me, it was far too surgical and analytical. That is why I now say: only God can be my therapist, and my repetition of the mantra is my daily appointment with Him. He, the Father of Silence, knows which obstructions to remove, and the technique of Deep Meditation facilitates his housecleaning. (Not to discredit or frown upon psychotherapy...just throwing in my two cents ).

Great topic! Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Skycrimson Blue

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  10:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cody,

it sounds like your deep meditation has been very fruitful. I can't say that I have experienced what you describe, but it makes sense. I like your connecting DM to housecleaning.....I have felt for a long time that I really want to purge my energy field of all the "stuff", but hadn't figured out how exactly to go about it....I started reading a lot of books on the new brain research and technologies (especially neuroplasticity) to heal trauma and in effect totally rewire the brain's circuitry.....I was also totally absorbed with Eckhart Tolle's message that we don't need TIME to find enlightenment, we just need to lose the MIND..... Now this approach is making a lot more sense to me. I think it does take TIME to purify your mind/body and to create the inner circuitry that leads to higher states of conciousness.

Thanks for your post.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  11:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Skycrimson Blue
I was also totally absorbed with Eckhart Tolle's message that we don't need TIME to find enlightenment, we just need to lose the MIND..... Now this approach is making a lot more sense to me. I think it does take TIME to purify your mind/body and to create the inner circuitry that leads to higher states of conciousness.

YES!!!

Time...Mind...Space...Body...These are all friends of unfoldment, not enemies to be gotten rid of! The obstructions are lodged within these elements, but the elements themselves are not the enemies. The mind is a creative stage for us to play out the comedy of incarnation. Otherwise, we should all just give up on LIVING and be nothing but stillness, eternally. Ah, but you see, stillness wants to move, so it's the UNION of stillness and action that is true fulfillment. Eckhart Tolle and some of my other non-favorites (Adyashanti, Mooji) always say those kind of things about "getting rid" of the ego, the mind, time/space, blah-blah-blah.

But here in AYP, Yogani is far more friendly, fascinating, furtive, fruitful (in my humble, narcissistic opinion). So...follow your bliss and your unique experience will reveal itself in due TIME. In fact, it is revealing itself right now. Your are swimming in the flow of divine waters.

Glad to be here with you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000