AYPsite.org Forum
 Enlightenment Milestones
 After initial seeing of no-self
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  3:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Since every path is unique, thought it would be interesting to share some observations about how things continue to evolve after the initial seeing that there is no "I" or self, that identity is an imaginary fabrication. Feel free to add in.

- Soon after knowing nothingness/ beingness and for many extended periods of time afterwards, there are numerous periods where there is often re-identification with the I/ me / my thoughts. This can be concurrent with knowing oneself as nothingness. Often this can be very subtle and unconscious, then after a period of time, there is noticing of the identification that has occurred, then freedom from this misunderstanding, only to repeat differently again and again as more and different identification falls away. Cycles can go months at a time. Only a willingness to see it all keeps the process going as it is easy to conceptualize these ideas of no I/ me/ myself thoughts from memory and to get stuck on ideas of attainment.

- Again after seeing through the illusion of "I", the personal identity lives in seemingly fewer "places" until it is noticed at all times it arises and disolves upon seeing again and again. This seeing continues ever onwards in ever expanding ways.

- Surrender initially happens in many ways but most often not all encompassing, as many subtle situations where the personal will still exerts itself continue on unti the futility of the effort is finally understood. As Ramana Maharishi says, Thy will be done all the time in all situations, no more personal will. There is still a non-personal doing, but with a willingness to flow in new directions with a moments notice. Likes and dislikes subside with ever increasing ease, everything in life becomes equal in experience.

- Meditation goes from being a daily practice for some to an ongoing experience between formal meditation practices. There is an increasing shift from few periods of spontaneous meditation throughout a day to increasing periods over a day, to eventually where there are very few periods that the focus drifts away from the here and now to thoughts or imagination.

A couple of ways of saying the same about other observations after seeing no self:

- Judgements of others diminish over time, the mind is observed at all times noticing any continuing judgements of others (and the world). From large and obvious judgements in the early periods to more subtle and fleeting judgements as time goes on.

- The millions of ways the mind still exercises limited thinking is exposed continuously as each is revealed. This can be anything from close minded opinions of others or situations, or the physical world, the mind, the body, beliefs etc. Belief after belief is revealed about the phenomenal world and eventually disolves. Beliefs in anything can be questioned.

- Increasing enjoyment of action/ service for others.

If you add, let's stay away from experiences of bliss and ecstasy and look at the practical world of action though of course these influence.

Edited by - Anthem on Jun 06 2012 9:54:08 PM

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  4:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have anything to add in this moment (maybe later), but I can echo each and every point you have made Anthem. How you describe the "unfolding" is exactly how I have been experiencing things here as well.

Love!
Carson
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  8:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one Anthem, thanks for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  01:46:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  5:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Very inspiring Andrew, thanks

Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  10:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The above was meant to convey that from my point of view, the journey continues ever onwards, that there is no place to hang some kind of medal of achievement.Things keep unfolding and there is an unlimited learning potential (knowing oneself) available as the mind becomes more open to the possibilities of life. There is no stopping ground or end point, there is a continuous expanding of mind.

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  02:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks anthem
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  06:07:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the same here.

Except I no longer wait for the cycle to naturally evolve and actively push out anything that seems blissful or appears as oneness/nothingness. Essentially culling everything. It's a mirror smashing exercise, pushing at it all the time. Each time I get an inkling that things seem to be developing I give the Ego a haircut. Everything temporary and dillusional gets burned up. Also, I no longer accept anything that isn't direct self knowledge.

Of course there are limitations, duality remains and that works fine. I just don't let the scenery get too distracting.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  08:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Karl,

How do you "know" if something is direct self knowledge?

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  06:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

Karl,

How do you "know" if something is direct self knowledge?

Thanks.

It's an oxymoron really but that's the nature of duality.

It's not my knowledge at all, just as the Suns light doesn't belong to the Sun, or the scent of a rose does not belong to itself. It is the knowledge that I am not 'this'. If I appropriate this knowledge then it distorts. I create multiple paths and reflections internally. This is why I constantly smash the mirrors. One day, maybe, the reflections will cease. Until then my job is to smash them.

I could go further. I could say that the knowledge is God, but viewed obliquely, like the Gorgons head in Jason's shield. It is viewed as a reflection in what used to be referred to as our souls.

It's that constant gleaning of the chaff from the wheat that gets it as pure and direct as it can be.

Does that make sense ?
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  11:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

I could go further. I could say that the knowledge is God, but viewed obliquely, like the Gorgons head in Jason's shield. It is viewed as a reflection in what used to be referred to as our souls.

It's that constant gleaning of the chaff from the wheat that gets it as pure and direct as it can be.

So, a never ending process of "gleaning of the chaff"?

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  1:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

quote:
Originally posted by karl

So, a never ending process of "gleaning of the chaff"?

Thanks.

So far. Although I should say that without the right tools, the skill to use them and a feedback mechanism it isn't very easy.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  3:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anthem11

Since every path is unique, thought it would be interesting to share some observations about how things continue to evolve after the initial seeing that there is no "I" or self, that identity is an imaginary fabrication. Feel free to add in.

I've noticed that there is now an increased ability to learn lessons about myself, and see parallels to my journey, in ordinary and mundane situations. But I've also noticed that the way that lessons are learned and the actual lessons learned have become increasingly challenging to say anything about. The lessons seemed to be learned on a level that is very difficult to understand on a mental level, and often I don't even know exactly what was learned (at least not in a way I can put to words), I just know that there has been a shift towards a clearer seeing. For example, I was just outside weeding my garden. While I was weeding my garden there was a sudden "flash" of inspiration/understanding/clarity as a connection was made between the process of growing a garden and the process of opening the human nervous system. What was actually learned, I can't say, but there is definitely a deeper level of appreciation for the beauty of the ordinary after learning this lesson.

Love!
Carson
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  12:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's an awesome analogy Carson!

Yeah, the garden, or things growing in general (mustard seed :D ) are great parallels to the process.

There's a lot of watering, and sometimes it seems like nothings growing at all... and then BOOM, there's like this huge growth spurt that just blows you away! haha
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  03:53:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anthem, your list sounds pretty familiar.

For about the first 7 or 8 months the self, or at least the identification with the self, seemed to disappear entirely. I was surprised to be able to still function in society. Then there began a sort of re-integration period where the self is seen and accepted for what it is - a sort of translucent filter through which God experiences life "as me." There is no resistance and no judgment. Also what Carson said, "a deeper level of appreciation for the beauty of the ordinary."

As the process continues to unfold, it's difficult to describe - I don't really feel like "I'm learning lessons" because that is a mental construct, too. "Who" is learning "what"?! I'm kind of bored with analyzing "the mind" and all that. Rather, it's a moment-by-moment staying in the Presence and being as transparent as possible to the flow of Divine Love, surrendering to the Divine Will and however it wants to manifest through me.

I might add, I've also been feeling more and more the deep connection between all of us in the sangha, both here at AYP and also my friends at HOY, as a palpable presence, our Love strengthening each other as we do our work in the world and as we are One in meditation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000