Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Question to advanced meditators
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lukemosse

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  5:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi

I was at a meditation group today and I asked a question during the question time and I don't think it was really answered. So I am asking it here. If there are any experienced meditators who can answer this I would be very grateful.

My question is

When you experience of higher/altered/transcendental states of consciousness, do you feel that the experiences you have
1) relate to reality as a whole - truths that exist in the altered state are true for reality in general

or

2) relate to the experience of being human - they are part of the human experience, but there is no way of knowing whether these attributes or truths are true of the world or cosmos at large

I would be very interested to hear people's experiences of this.

As an aside: Please note that I'm interested in personal experience - the answer I got today was related to the upanishads, which is fine but quoting what is written in a book is different to relating what is within somebody's experiential knowledge so I'm not asking for references to scripture. The answer doesn't need qualification but just to say which of 1 or 2 would be more accurate. Thanks

Edited by - lukemosse on Jun 02 2012 5:52:42 PM

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  08:30:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Any experience including higher consciousness is just scenery. Interesting scenery, maybe even relevant scenery, but scenery none the less. Just like having a dream, that's an altered state of consciousness, yet, mostly we don't regard dreams as significant, although they might point to some issue that we believe we are having.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  08:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
well said karl
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  08:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Lukemosse,

I would put in an answer, but I'm by no means 'advanced' or 'experienced' and it is possible even long-term practitioners would not call themselves that. There's also a lot of variation, with some having innate talent (ripeness) towards inducing very deep trance naturally. Deep Meditation here is less about isolated experiences that are generally regarded as scenery, and more about ongoing purification and opening that promote a positive change within daily life, beginning with the rise of the witness. If it is of any help, you can have a look at the AYP Survey found on the left hand side under the red heading "More Resources."
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  10:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Higher consciousness will show you what it is to be human in relation to the cosmos in general, and how they are intimately connected, or some say the same thing.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  11:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Both are true depending on the state of consciousness that you are focusing your attention. But, both "humanness" and "cosmoness" are states of form in consciousness. Almost like layers of perception. "You" can percieve them, but you are also beyond them (all the way to nothingness )

It just depends where you want to play.

Go to Top of Page

lukemosse

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  12:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for responses.

I asked another meditator today and his response was that it was difficult to say because the question was a question of the mind, and so the question itself loses significance in experience of higher states.

I suppose the only way is to do more practice! Thanks all for opinions and information.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  12:55:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The question is difficult because it assumes things that don't belong to our beliefs here. "higher/altered/transcendental states of consciousness" are not what we strive for here, and those are names often applied by people to categorize and judge meditation practices from a worldly view.

So although people here have probably experienced what the words probably refer to, to ask what they lead to is going way out on a limb.

Meditation experiences are different for everyone because they depend on what's in your mind to begin with.
Then when you unravel your mind to find the silence behind it, you are fooling with the basis for choosing words to describe what is happening. Meditation is not an attempt to find those truths, it is an attempt to quiet the mind, so the peace within us can be found.
Go to Top of Page

lukemosse

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  8:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

So although people here have probably experienced what the words probably refer to, to ask what they lead to is going way out on a limb.

Hi

I agree with you, which is partly why I asked the question. Often when I've become involved with meditation words such as 'God' and 'Cosmic energy' are used - these are just examples but the words both imply concepts considered true outside the confines of one's own body.

I have no problem with not labelling states of consciousness I am unfamiliar with. I have no interest in particular even discussing them. I'm more interested in the procedures and just getting on with it - one of the reasons I like this site. But I find a lot of the time with meditation words are used as descriptors which are outside my realm of experience and I feel uneasy about using these references.

I wondered if there were any basis to the confidence people display in using these terms freely with others.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  8:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I think people either have experience, or have read enough to have confidence in them. You gain confidence in people after talking a lot over time.
The procedures are quite easy to begin with. The place to start is given in the main lessons link, in the Deep Meditation book, or A.Y.P. Easy lessons for ecstatic living book.
Twice daily meditation, for just a few minutes each is all that is necessary.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2012 :  01:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent question Lukemosse. From my perception altered states are related to the Human Experience; I say that because WE, as humans, can and do experience them. I cannot say with absolute certainty that they are a true state of reality for all cosmos (they appear to be - in fact, one gets the feeling that they are more real than this physical reality but who knows?)

Sey
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2012 :  8:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem with your question is the phrase "higher/altered/transcendental states of consciousness", which 1) lumps a bunch of semi- or unrelated things together, and 2) doesn't really describe or name anything specific to speak about. The study of Consciousness is a pretty well-documented science, from Vedic sources such as the Upanishads all the way down to recent and present writings, such as Aldous Huxley's "Doors of Perception". So, let us pick it apart and then try to put it back together in a more scientific manner.

First, let's ignore "altered" altogether--altered could pertain to psychedelic drugs, illness, any condition which might alter the mind's operation. "Higher" in terms of consciousness would pertain to anything beyond the three "normal" states of Waking, Dreaming and Sleeping. There are very specific, well-documented and variously described descriptions about these 4 "higher" states. The first state beyond waking, dreaming and sleeping is called "Turiya", which in Sanskrit, means "fourth". It is the state we first experience during deep meditation, in which we have no mantra and no thought, but remain alert and aware--awareness with no object of awareness, awareness by itself--"Pure Awareness", or "Transcendental Consciousness". So, there are not transcendental states of consciousness, but the term actually describes a very specific experience. The content of this state has been variously described as Inner Silence, Peacefulness, Pure Potentiality, etc., but I like the Sanskrit name, which gives three attributes to this state without attribute: Sat Chit Ananda. Sat=Unbounded or Absolute, Chit=Awareness or Consciousness and Ananda=Bliss. Put it all together and we get, "Unbounded Bliss Consciousness", which pretty much describes that peaceful experience of Inner Silence we may momentarily glimpse during deep meditation. Good so far?

"Savikalpa Samadhi" is the fifth state of consciousness, meaning literally, "Samadhi with imagination". This is a state of duality, in which the silence within, which previously was experienced as one's true inner nature only during meditation, is now continuously experienced as the seat of the Self, even during waking, dreaming and sleeping--hence the silent inner Self becomes a "witness" to all the outer dimension of life--a state of duality. My guru called this "Cosmic Consciousness", which some have called "Self-Realization". My guru also spoke of a Sixth State of Consciousness which he called "God Consciousness", also called "Divine Consciousness" which is the realization that the true SELF, which we realize in 5th state is NOT the outer changing world but our inner silent awareness, is one and the same with the entire Divine nature of Reality--that "god" or the creator is no different from me, the creation. "Nirvikalpa Samadhi" is the highest state of consciousness, in which there is no longer any duality or subject-object differences. Upon entering nirvikalpa samadhi, the differences we saw before in the Fifth State have faded and we see everything as one. In this condition nothing but pure awareness remains and nothing detracts from wholeness and perfection. This we can also call "Unity Consciousness".

Now, I know this is not what you asked for--not textbook definitions, but personal experiences. However, without these definitions, it's impossible to understand any descriptions or personal anecdotes. Thus, we begin with a yardstick with which to measure, and a vocabulary with with to name.

I've been practicing meditation regularly for 42 years, since I was 18. I began to have clear experiences of the 4th state, Transcendental Consciousness, at about the age of 20. I would feel warm, light, blissful and joyous, peaceful and at one with everything. At first, these experiences were fleeting, vague and difficult to recognize or pin down because of their very vagueness and newness. As the years went on, they would last longer and become much clearer, and so I became accustomed to that feeling of silence and came to recognize it as my true self. After 10 or 15 years I began to have brief flashes of this silence existing not only during meditation, but also during waking, dreaming or sleeping. The co-existence of 4th state while in either of the three other states is different for each of them. In sleep, although still asleep, I felt like I was awake because my awareness was the same--silent and THERE, aware that I was sleeping. For a time I thought I'd become an insomniac, but I was never tired! The experience of 4th state during dreaming is like watching a movie--the dream is the movie, the silent awareness is the viewer. During waking, it's very different--the silent awareness of 4th state becomes a witness to everything you see, feel, think, do. This is Cosmic Consciousness, 5th state, which by now has become stabilized as a very natural way of Being. I don't think it's so very special--it just seems to me to be the natural way life IS and should be. However, even now this often breaks down into something larger, less "In-Here-is-unchanging-true-self and Out-there-is-ever-changing-not-myself" and more that it's all indistinguishable parts of the same whole, or maybe not even parts--maybe, it seems more and more, that it's ALL, everything, every small part IS the entire whole... words always fail to reflect this very well, the experiences are not easy to put into words, and, as Lao-tze warned, "The way that can be spoken of is not the true way."

So, what does it mean, where am I now, how do I operate in this world? I have my emotions, even sometimes negative ones. I can be impatient, frustrated, disappointed, even angry or upset at times. But, even then, the silent witness of Self is there within (and without...) and knows, understands that this passes like the clouds, the sun is still shining even if, at times, its light is not so clear. This is not a mood I must make or a theory I must convince myself of, but reality as I cognize it, as life unfolds moment by moment. So, yes--I go through life, and still, as Zen Buddhists say, "chop wood, carry water." Some water may sometimes spill. Oops! A bird sings, my awareness sings with the bird, and I cut my finger with the axe as I chop wood! Ouch! I smile and laugh a lot, I frown and cry hardly at all. Did I say I laugh a lot? I think perhaps that's the best description I can give of "higher states of consciousness." Laughter permeates, joy overflows.
Namaste,
Michael

Edited by - mikkiji on Jun 04 2012 10:42:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  08:52:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mikkiji

The problem with your question is the phrase "higher/altered/transcendental states of consciousness", which 1) lumps a bunch of semi- or unrelated things together, and 2) doesn't really describe or name anything specific to speak about. The study of Consciousness is a pretty well-documented science, from Vedic sources such as the Upanishads all the way down to recent and present writings, such as Aldous Huxley's "Doors of Perception". So, let us pick it apart and then try to put it back together in a more scientific manner.

First, let's ignore "altered" altogether--altered could pertain to psychedelic drugs, illness, any condition which might alter the mind's operation. "Higher" in terms of consciousness would pertain to anything beyond the three "normal" states of Waking, Dreaming and Sleeping. There are very specific, well-documented and variously described descriptions about these 4 "higher" states. The first state beyond waking, dreaming and sleeping is called "Turiya", which in Sanskrit, means "fourth". It is the state we first experience during deep meditation, in which we have no mantra and no thought, but remain alert and aware--awareness with no object of awareness, awareness by itself--"Pure Awareness", or "Transcendental Consciousness". So, there are not transcendental states of consciousness, but the term actually describes a very specific experience. The content of this state has been variously described as Inner Silence, Peacefulness, Pure Potentiality, etc., but I like the Sanskrit name, which gives three attributes to this state without attribute: Sat Chit Ananda. Sat=Unbounded or Absolute, Chit=Awareness or Consciousness and Ananda=Bliss. Put it all together and we get, "Unbounded Bliss Consciousness", which pretty much describes that peaceful experience of Inner Silence we may momentarily glimpse during deep meditation. Good so far?

"Savikalpa Samadhi" is the fifth state of consciousness, meaning literally, "Samadhi with imagination". This is a state of duality, in which the silence within, which previously was experienced as one's true inner nature only during meditation, is now continuously experienced as the seat of the Self, even during waking, dreaming and sleeping--hence the silent inner Self becomes a "witness" to all the outer dimension of life--a state of duality. My guru called this "Cosmic Consciousness", which some have called "Self-Realization". My guru also spoke of a Sixth State of Consciousness which he called "God Consciousness", also called "Divine Consciousness" which is the realization that the true SELF, which we realize in 5th state is NOT the outer changing world but our inner silent awareness, is one and the same with the entire Divine nature of Reality--that "god" or the creator is no different from me, the creation. "Nirvikalpa Samadhi" is the highest state of consciousness, in which there is no longer any duality or subject-object differences. Upon entering nirvikalpa samadhi, the differences we saw before in the Fifth State have faded and we see everything as one. In this condition nothing but pure awareness remains and nothing detracts from wholeness and perfection. This we can also call "Unity Consciousness".

Now, I know this is not what you asked for--not textbook definitions, but personal experiences. However, without these definitions, it's impossible to understand any descriptions or personal anecdotes. Thus, we begin with a yardstick with which to measure, and a vocabulary with with to name.

I've been practicing meditation regularly for 42 years, since I was 18. I began to have clear experiences of the 4th state, Transcendental Consciousness, at about the age of 20. I would feel warm, light, blissful and joyous, peaceful and at one with everything. At first, these experiences were fleeting, vague and difficult to recognize or pin down because of their very vagueness and newness. As the years went on, they would last longer and become much clearer, and so I became accustomed to that feeling of silence and came to recognize it as my true self. After 10 or 15 years I began to have brief flashes of this silence existing not only during meditation, but also during waking, dreaming or sleeping. The co-existence of 4th state while in either of the three other states is different for each of them. In sleep, although still asleep, I felt like I was awake because my awareness was the same--silent and THERE, aware that I was sleeping. For a time I thought I'd become an insomniac, but I was never tired! The experience of 4th state during dreaming is like watching a movie--the dream is the movie, the silent awareness is the viewer. During waking, it's very different--the silent awareness of 4th state becomes a witness to everything you see, feel, think, do. This is Cosmic Consciousness, 5th state, which by now has become stabilized as a very natural way of Being. I don't think it's so very special--it just seems to me to be the natural way life IS and should be. However, even now this often breaks down into something larger, less "In-Here-is-unchanging-true-self and Out-there-is-ever-changing-not-myself" and more that it's all indistinguishable parts of the same whole, or maybe not even parts--maybe, it seems more and more, that it's ALL, everything, every small part IS the entire whole... words always fail to reflect this very well, the experiences are not easy to put into words, and, as Lao-tze warned, "The way that can be spoken of is not the true way."

So, what does it mean, where am I now, how do I operate in this world? I have my emotions, even sometimes negative ones. I can be impatient, frustrated, disappointed, even angry or upset at times. But, even then, the silent witness of Self is there within (and without...) and knows, understands that this passes like the clouds, the sun is still shining even if, at times, its light is not so clear. This is not a mood I must make or a theory I must convince myself of, but reality as I cognize it, as life unfolds moment by moment. So, yes--I go through life, and still, as Zen Buddhists say, "chop wood, carry water." Some water may sometimes spill. Oops! A bird sings, my awareness sings with the bird, and I cut my finger with the axe as I chop wood! Ouch! I smile and laugh a lot, I frown and cry hardly at all. Did I say I laugh a lot? I think perhaps that's the best description I can give of "higher states of consciousness." Laughter permeates, joy overflows.
Namaste,
Michael

Most helpful post I've ever read. Know that you've made a difference Michael....your story is inspirational, a helpful driver for a person still in their first year of practice.

I do have one question though. How do you feel about the eventual death of your body, given your current state of consciousness? Do you feel that your "understanding" or "witnessing" will continue after the death of your body, or do you feel that your current view of consciousness will just fade into nothingness?

Again, thanks for your poetic answer above, it was wonderful.
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  10:33:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bourgo--thank you for the vote of confidence, it's inspirational to me--to keep analyzing, integrating, considering, writing and sharing with others. As for my actual "story", well, it's MUCH more complicated and relates directly to your question regarding my feelings about the eventual death of my physical body. I actually began my spiritual journey at the age of 13, when I went into a coma for several days in critical condition due to complications from a burst appendix and at that point undiagnosed juvenile-onset diabetes. So, I was in the hospital for a month, dehydrated, malnourished, in septic shock and diabetic ketoacidosis. Very serious stuff in 1966... During the period of time I was in a coma, I had what I now recognize as, but then had no words for--a "Near Death Experience" or NDE. It was a crystal-clear experience of calmness, peacefulness, correctness, comfort and light. I was not "in" my body at that time whatsoever, but I did on brief occasions during that time experience my awareness outside of my body looking down at (not really "looking", but just perceiving) the medical activities occurring all around. I awoke with a profound sense of gratitude and peacefulness, which has permeated my being and animated my life ever since. I was never upset or angry for having been struck down as a child with a serious chronic illness, but rather just grateful to be alive.

My childhood NDE propelled me to discover a context or vocabulary for it, and as a teen I experimented with psychedelics, especially a substance called psylocibin, the active chemical in 'magic mushrooms', which was still legal at the time. I came to understand life and death as a nearly endless cycle, something like a Fabergé egg, with more wondrous and precious surprises hidden within each layer as life continues to unfold. At the age of 18, I studied for a year with a Zen master, finally getting a context and vocabulary for my experiences. At the age of 20, I began the practice of Transcendental Meditation, eventually joining the TM movement full-time, living in an ashram for 2 years and spending time with its founder, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Life then happened, as it often must--marriage, career, children.

At the age of 47, due to the many years of diabetes, I suffered a major heart attack. During the emergency triple by-pass surgery, I lost my grip on life in this body once again and had a second NDE. (Did I mention I was struck by lightening when I was in my 30s...?!) I awoke with the most profound re-dedication to this delicate and beautiful thing we call "life". Earlier that year, I sat with my mother as she made her final journey into the next phase, breathed her final breath and took wing. It was very profound for me. Then, 5 years ago, my wife of 34 years died of cancer. Again, the experience of death was profound and remarkable for me. My wife died with a determined curiosity to experience and accomplish whatever was beyond. She accepted that, although she had yet to 'finish' what she felt she was here for, as our youngest child was only 16, she must be ready and willing to consciously make that transition with acceptance and grace. Her death was a blessing to us both, a miracle as amazing as birth...

So, now to your question--with all of this background AND my "state of consciousness" (whatever THAT means!), how do I view death? It's the next door to go through. Having had some excellent showings of the "Coming Attractions", I am curious, willing and accepting. I really do not know if the karmic cycle of birth, death and rebirth is, for me, over and I will merge wholly with the Eternal. I do not know if I have some karmic debt yet to pay back and must once again mount the Wheel. My guru explained that when you do finally make that last step, without reincarnation, having burned the final vestiges of karma, it is like pouring a glass of water back into the ocean. Will I miss being only this glass of water and not know I ever was? Will I KNOW I am the whole ocean? I will be 60 in two weeks, and when I was originally diagnosed with diabetes 47 years ago, they gave me 20-25 years. So, I've felt for a long time that I am on borrowed time, that death was always peering over my shoulder. After a lifetime of death being so close, I am comfortable and willing. Not that I invite it--I DO want to live, to love, to enjoy what's left--my children, perhaps even eventually grandchildren. But I am always aware that dropping dead at any moment is a very real possibility, and the older I get the more it becomes a probability. Lemme at it...!
Michael
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  11:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Michael,

thank you for sharing your beautiful and inspiring story. It really helps me to put my own journey into perspective, especially the part about difficulty of recognizing experiences because they are still too vague to put words on it. It gives me confidence that in time things will become more clear.

Love, M
Go to Top of Page

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  1:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thank you Michael.

Given that none of us can choose what comes after death (nor when it will come to us), there is not much to fear...yet somehow death is a scary thing. That said, the idea that our glass of water will be poured back into the sea and we will somehow lose what we've had....is profoundly sad (to me, at this point in my life). I have a son and a daughter as well, and to think that I may someday never know that my beautiful children ever existed is almost heartbreaking. I love my wife and kids more than anything I could possibly imagine, and to think that I will someday lose them and the memory of them....the sadness that permeates me with those thoughts cannot be put into words.

Maybe I am seeing the process of death incorrectly, but this is how I feel at the moment anyway.

EDIT: I just wanted to say that I shared your story with my wife (who has Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and Mastocytosis) and she loved it as well. It is quite an inspiring story and your love, grace and attitude punctuates it so well. As difficult as your life has been, it is a blessing to those you reach out to. Thank you.

Edited by - Bourgo on Jun 05 2012 2:08:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  8:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bourgo--your 'sadness' is wholly due to your attachments--as is all suffering. You cannot prevent your heart from breaking, that's a certainty in this Life. It is a precious thing, this 'heartbreak', one of the most delicate and subtle of all emotions, and it is to be valued with great devotion. Heartbreak is the reminder of how well we have loved and been loved, how wonderful our devotion felt, and how it changed us forever. These are wonderful and valuable things, but they can turn to suffering--our heartbreak can turn to heartache--when we become attached to that which will change and which we will inevitably lose. The only thing that does not change is this very fact--that everything changes. Change is difficult. Resisting change causes suffering. Accepting change brings joy. You WILL lose everything--your wife, your children, your health and your life. BUT, you will not lose the love, the joy and the wonderment of all that you will eventually lose, as long as you are able to accept the changes which will come. I have come to learn that my trials and sufferings came to me as lessons to teach me Right Living--right thought, right action, balance, equanimity and acceptance. One's life is only tragic or difficult if we face these battles, suffer through them but fail to learn the lessons. Then we have suffered for nothing. THAT is the only true tragedy in life, to waste the valuable opportunity to evolve, learn, grow and become our Self. I accept my life of illness and difficulties as amazing luck--blessings which have kept me stumbling forward on this path.

When I was out of danger after the heart attack, the hospital social worker came to my room and began to speak of my depression, how natural a reaction that was, and how to feel about it and get past it. I had to hold up my hand in a "stop" motion (because I could not yet speak well after the breathing tube was removed!), and in a croaking whisper explain to her that, on the contrary, I felt no depression whatsoever, but that my reaction to this terrible event was of joy and gratitude. How joyous I was to be alive, how grateful that the subtle chain of events had kept me in my life and with the people I loved, and how I was privileged to be afforded this opportunity, this lesson. The poor lady hadn't a clue what I was talking about and must have thought I was still under the influence of the anesthetics and pain meds! When we look at things differently, they become different--we have the power to transform. I remain heartbroken over the death of my wife, but look at that heartbreak as the joyous reminder of the love we shared, our years together and the dreams we fulfilled. When we can learn to look at everything with joy and gratitude, then we get that mirrored back to us. It's really very simple, just a small change in attitude. I have always used the image of god smiling at me from whatever seems difficult as a bell of mindfulness to keep me positive and allow the transformation to occur. And, with the image of god smiling at me, I can then remember to smile back at Her...!
Namaste,
Michael
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  06:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Michael,

Very inspiring. You seemed to be living your life so far almost exactly in keeping with what the Gita says !

krish
Go to Top of Page

lukemosse

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  11:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Michael

Thanks for great posts. It's very kind of you to put that into words and much appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  1:58:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dear Michael this is a very beautiful post....so touching..thank u
Go to Top of Page

devrim

Thailand
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  08:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit devrim's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Micheal thanks and gratitude for you, nice one brother.
Go to Top of Page

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  08:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again Michael, it is great to hear stories like this from those who have an experienced frame of reference.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  02:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Michael - thank you for sharing the awesome posts. You are an inspiration.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  4:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Michael, this is really inspiring and touching to hear. Thank you for sharing!

[img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Mikananda

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  10:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One

quote:
Originally posted by lukemosse

Hi

I was at a meditation group today and I asked a question during the question time and I don't think it was really answered. So I am asking it here. If there are any experienced meditators who can answer this I would be very grateful.

My question is

When you experience of higher/altered/transcendental states of consciousness, do you feel that the experiences you have
1) relate to reality as a whole - truths that exist in the altered state are true for reality in general

or

2) relate to the experience of being human - they are part of the human experience, but there is no way of knowing whether these attributes or truths are true of the world or cosmos at large

I would be very interested to hear people's experiences of this.

As an aside: Please note that I'm interested in personal experience - the answer I got today was related to the upanishads, which is fine but quoting what is written in a book is different to relating what is within somebody's experiential knowledge so I'm not asking for references to scripture. The answer doesn't need qualification but just to say which of 1 or 2 would be more accurate. Thanks

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000