Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Anyone found these useful?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willie

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - May 15 2012 :  7:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I keep seeing internet claims made for various systems such as this one here:

http://www.project-meditation.org/

They suggest using various sounds can enhance your experience of meditation. Has anyone found them useful or would you recommend sticking to the traditional routes?

Willie

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 15 2012 :  7:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - May 15 2012 :  8:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've looked into it and used a couple different types. These are based on brain waves of various levels. They do produce a calm harmonious state, great for studying or producing ease during a work day, also good if you are having difficulty sleeping as some are designed specifically for sleep. The types designed for producing an alert calm state really helped when I was studying for my degree and fairly stressed out at the time. But nothing compared to real yoga meditation imo, at least in terms of a spiritual path. They certainly do not seem to have any effect on the prana in the body in my experience, and if you stop using them the effect goes away rapidly. It's just in-the-moment brainwaves.
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  12:09:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used one by Brainsync called Kundalini Meditation for a few years and had a lot of good experiences (I go back to it occasionally). Personally, I felt like it helped a lot when I first started meditating, but now I feel meditating without it (simple Mantra meditation) works just as well for me most of the time.
Go to Top of Page

willie

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - May 17 2012 :  04:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks folks, and thanks mod for moving this to a more appropriate area.

I'm not sure what to make of these. I might dip my toe in by buying one of the CDs you mentione stevenbhow as they are pretty cheap compared to some of the others OTOH I might just stay with meditation.

I recently tried breath meditation and I found this a lot easier to concentrate on than the mantra. I will persevere with it for a while before chopping and changing again.

Thanks to everyone for your help :)

Willie
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 17 2012 :  04:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A lot easier to concentrate on ?

That could be your problem Willie. You shouldn't be concentrating at all and the Mantra often disappears during DM. Sometimes it disappears for the whole of the session.

I liken it to a Balloon on a string. Put your awareness on just stopping the string from slipping through your fingers. It should be such a light touch that you can't really tell if you are holding it at all.

On the subject of binaural beats I have used the Holosync version. It's very relaxing. It's much more trance inducing. DM is quite different, somehow it just isn't as passive. Holosync is like a massage, DM is like a work out. Both have their place.
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  09:46:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Willie, one of the other things I like about the Brain Sync CD is that in during the Kundalini meditation there is a practice very similar to Spinal Breathing, spinal Bastika Pranayama, and the Mulabandha, though they use different names. So you are doing a few of the AYP practices as well as the guided chakra meditation with the binaural beats. A lot times when I did this meditation I would repeat I AM as well. I think AYP and the Brain Sync cds work well together most of the time.
Go to Top of Page

willie

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  4:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

A lot easier to concentrate on ?

That could be your problem Willie.

LOL you could be right. I get really hung up about the manthra. The problem I'm having is the "IAM" or "AYAM" feels so clunky to me that I need to concentrate on it to enunciate it, whereas with the breathing thing I just concentrate on the feeling of the breath which seems somehow easier to me.

Understanding of all this doesn't seem to come easy to me though

EDIT: Maybe concentrate is the wrong word. I mean that I am focusing my attention on the breath. Does this still sound wrong?

Willie

Edited by - willie on May 19 2012 6:13:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

willie

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  6:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing your experience of this technology, stevenbhow. I will consider buying into it but in the meantime am beginning to feel I should get my meditation practice sorted out :)

Willie
Go to Top of Page

willie

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  6:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I came across this product here:

http://www.eocinstitute.org/?gclid=...MetAod1Xs6qA

As the first MP3 is less than $30 I decided to download it and give it a try. I reckon if I do a session of this at night then I can still do my meditation during the day.

I will keep you posted :)

Willie

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  6:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can download the raw binaural beats free from several websites.
Go to Top of Page

willie

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  7:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl

Is the product I linked to simply the raw binaural beats? I'm not sure what you mean.

Are you saying these are simply a basic form available anywhere and that therefore this product is not worthwhile paying for?

Don't mean to be dim but this is something I know nothing about. Thanks for your help :)

Willie
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  02:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by willie

LOL you could be right. I get really hung up about the manthra. The problem I'm having is the "IAM" or "AYAM" feels so clunky to me that I need to concentrate on it to enunciate it, whereas with the breathing thing I just concentrate on the feeling of the breath which seems somehow easier to me.

Understanding of all this doesn't seem to come easy to me though

EDIT: Maybe concentrate is the wrong word. I mean that I am focusing my attention on the breath. Does this still sound wrong?

Willie

Dear Willie - there is no need to "enunciate" AYAM. Just say it silently in your mind, any old how. Don't concentrate on How you're saying it. Go with the flow. Sometimes it will be clearly enunciated, sometimes it will refine to just a fuzzy thought and sometimes you will lose it altogether. You are not to prefer one way over another. As soon as you realise you've lost it, you gently come back to it.

Well, in case you want to get back to AYAM at some point. Good luck.

Sey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000