Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Consecutive sessions in a retreat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  12:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi friends,
I've seen that the AYP schedule for extended retreats during the middle days is 2 sessions of practice before breakfast, and then another 2 in the afternoon.

Before reading that I practiced 1 session before breakfast, another before lunch, another before the snacks of the evening, and another one before dinner. In this way the time between you get up and you eat (at breakfast) is not so big, so the hunger that may appear is less distracting.

What are your thoughts about this? Why do you think that consecutive sessions without eating is better?

Perhaps I should try a juice after the first rest period between consecutive sessions, and making a mini-break of about 5 min to digest it?

Love

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  2:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Will,

just finished a nice dinner, mmmm yummy

It never seemed to be a problem for me personally to postpone breakfast when I'm retreating. However if you are the type of person who finds it difficult to tolerate hunger, it might be a good idea for you to eat a spoon of honey before or in between your practice sessions. I've got this from an Australian meditation teacher Tim Mitchell.

Edited by - mimirom on May 08 2012 2:37:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  3:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Will Power,

I did several AYP solo retreats, and what I would do was getting up 1,5-2 hours earlier then usual :) Even with 2 successive sessions breakfast was still at the usual time so the body didn't protest. If I want to practice but the body is too hungry, drinking a glass of milk helps. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  3:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot mimirom and medea!
Interesting ideas. I'll try the spoon of honey. I think that a glass of milk would fill me too much for the practices or have a prolongued digestion, but I'll keep it in mind.
Sometimes I used a banana and waited for some minutes to digest it.

And indeed waking up early is a very good solution, but not so valid when it's not a solo retreat.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000