Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 How long before you experience effects?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sandyfrench

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  04:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,
I am quite new to AYP - I was looking for books on Amazon on meditation, bought Yoganis one on deep meditation, and after trying all sorts, I have found it the easiest method I have tried :)
I have only been doing DM for a couple of weeks, gearing up slowly from 15 mins once a day to now 20 mins twice daily. My mind still wanders all over the place, but I just keep bringing it back, and am determined to stick with it
I am really interested in how long it took other people to really notice a difference and/or experience the rise of bliss. I am not impatient, I know it will happen in its own time, but still I am interested in other people's experiences.
My husband reckons he can see a subtle difference in me already.... I can't yet.

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  06:59:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sandy French and welcome to the forum.
You will soon realise why that question is not linear time is very flexible and has a habit of going along with practices . So, infact changes occur without time dependency.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  12:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sandy, welcome!
I find there is a sort of blind spot when it comes to being able to compare oneself with the past. The witness, and the ability to remain centered have been steadily on the rise without a doubt over here, but instead of pinning down a reference point to see the change, I instead see greater ability to inquire, choose, and reflect on things. The easy thing to say is having been so asleep that the taste of something beyond arising from DM drives me to the meditation seat for more of that, over and over again. It is no surprise that your husband already sees that difference which will become more evident in time to you as well.
Go to Top of Page

Sandyfrench

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  4:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your answers guys. These two answers alone have given me a lot to think about. I'd love to hear from others too, if anyone wants to put their 10c in.....
Go to Top of Page

Stillpool

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  5:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sandyfrench.

Well, I've been practice for over a million lifetimes now and I still haven't made it .

Ok. Not really funny. Tried my best though.

I've been practicing DM for several months now and I've found that all those thoughts about various experiences don't really matter. They are relative. Today, meditation may be bliss. Tomorrow, pure boring. Or worse, frustrating. Drop all that. Just meditate every day, without expecting results. Sooner or later, not your meditation, but your life will begin bearing fruit. And oh how sweet it is.

Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  6:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah it's really the results in your daily life. Sometimes profound but usually rather subtle till one day you really say to yourself 'wow what a difference!'. Sort of like when you have a headache and then don't notice till much later that it left quite a while back while you were busy enjoying your life.
Go to Top of Page

Sandyfrench

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  6:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Aaaaahhh yes it does help. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

ddaniel

USA
15 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:03:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't think much was happening at first. About 3 months after I started my daily practice, however, I remember a specific occasion where I realized handled a situation much differently (for the better) than I would have before.

It reminded me of when I first started working out. I decided one day that I wanted to get in better shape, so I gave myself a weekly routine and stuck with it for months. I didn't feel like I was making much progress until I saw a picture of myself from a few months earlier - the difference was like night and day!

Because changes are subtle and gradual, they can be hard to notice on a day to day level. Stick with your daily practice, and (just like working out) results will come!

That is my experience, at least. Best of luck!
Go to Top of Page

Sandyfrench

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  02:27:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to the last two posters - I especially like the gym analogy - you are so right! Yes, fitness and strength does just creep up on you, I imagine this would indeed be similar. I am very excited about this I must admit
Go to Top of Page

SwamiX

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  1:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sandy,

Recognizing that there are differences based on individual history, here is my personal experience: After about a year of DM, I start to notice an occasional and fleeting feeling of joy or euphoria. I remember riding home on the bus one day and noticing a sort of gentle joy as I looked out the window. This was, I realized later, a fleeting glimpse of ananda (bliss).

Next month I will have been practicing for 3 years (with several months of spinal breathing added on to the basic mediation). I now often have the experience of a sort of “energy” that will surface at times. It is similar to the feeling you get when you see a particularly touching or moving scene in a movie and you get the physical sensation of “shivers in your spine”. This sensation, though not blissful per se, will sometimes take on a blissful tone. Last Saturday, I was looking at the sunset coming through some trees, and I began to experience the rise of this sensation of bliss. Moreover, I had a feeling that I would, searching for the right word, describe as “reverence”; it is hard to characterize, but I was in awe of the beauty, and it also was clear the rise of the bliss played a role in how I viewed something I had seen many times out our window without being that impressed by it. This experience also gave me a glimpse of how external world starts to mirror the change in our consciousness.

The spinal breathing really does accelerate the process; however, the meditation, for me anyway, loses a certain “lightness”. I think it is a case where I have to monitor my progress and self pace, so I will go through periods where I drop the SB for a few days. I have also noticed that when the energy I mentioned above becomes quite pronounced, my head has a tendency to tilt back, and I noticed the other day, that without thinking about it, my eyes rolled up – the automatic yoga that Yogani mentions in the lessons.

I am getting a bit off track here, but this is some of what I have experienced – so keep at it!
Go to Top of Page

Sandyfrench

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  5:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comment, SwamiX. I have, my whole life, had glimpses of pure bliss or joy that lasts for several seconds then dissipates. They happen completely randomly, but I haven't had that in a while now. ( I've had an extremely stressful few years ). It will be nice to get them back!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000