Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Zen book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  9:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Anyone have an opinion on the old book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? I'm reading it all the way through this time and thinking it's a very intellectual waste of time. Brilliant sure, but like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  02:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Zen usually is very hard to understand if one is not rooted in relational self enquiry and in abiding silent witness....if this book seems too intellectual just stop reading it...this is what i do, if it becomes too intellectual i just drop it...i am not ready for it,so what? it is not a big deal...each one unfolds in his own time...
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  8:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lmaher22

Brilliant sure, but like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

Thats what I felt too :)

A good and fun to read (aka a fiction work) but not very useful practically
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  9:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I thought. A nice read but little or no Eastern thought in it at all. The writer didn't even meditate and spoke mostly of Western philosophy, heavy on Plato and Aristotle. I think the poor bastard got caught in an ego trap and it drove him to the nuthouse. It was very much an autobiography, sadly his only form of relaxation and growth, when his brain wasn't spinning off into countless permutations, was mechanical and creative ways to fix a machine. Ten years in India and no meditating? Like shadow boxing while waiting for the shadow to throw the first punch.
Thanks,
L
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  9:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lmaher22

?....... Brilliant sure, but like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

...is nowhere a bad place?...where you trying to get to?
I enjoyed the book ... many years ago....if you enjoyed it ...I'm pretty sure it was time well spent.

Ps...I really enjoy a nice rocking chair...

Edited by - machart on Mar 27 2012 9:58:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  10:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My impression was one of 99% "quite OK novel" and 1% zen.
That's not to say boring (but, as an aside, I find the whole MC world boring)... Depends, on where the reader came from.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000