Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Persistence of the mantra....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  09:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the following:

In approximately 75% of my DM sessions, I maintain a relatively clear pronunciation of the mantra and I "lose" it very infrequently. I have even had sessions where I don't remember ever losing the mantra, and it never refined itself.

Of course I have some sessions where the mantra refines itself well, I lose it again and again, and I feel that I went pretty "deep". The problem is, during most of my DM sessions where the mantra stays with me persistently and without refinement, I feel like the meditation was very "surface-level" and I feel clear and present the entire time.

Am I just not reaching a relaxed state? Do I need a mantra enhancement? I'm not sure how to think about this....

Thanks!

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  09:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bourgo,

How long have you been doing deep meditation?

Yogani had explained this very nicely in this post:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3932#34060
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

quote:
Originally posted by skorpion63

The thing is my mind never goes away from the mantra so there is no question of bringing it back. Does this mean i am doing something wrong or is it not working for me?

Hi Scorpion, and welcome!

It is fine. The fact that you notice the "mind never going away from the mantra" is a thought other than the mantra, right? This is normal. When noticed, just easily favor the mantra over that or any thought. There can be mantra and thoughts mixed together, with the mantra in the background or foreground. It doesn't matter. The procedure stays the same. We never force, just gently favor according to the procedure.

The mantra does not have to be a clear mental pronunciation. In a given session, or over a series of sessions, it will naturally change as purification and opening occur in the nervous system. There is nothing to monitor or judge about it. Monitoring the progress of meditation while doing it is not meditation. We easily favor the mantra over the monitoring. In time, it becomes an easy habit -- it is the habit of stillness we are cultivating. Whenever other thoughts occur, like "I am thinking the mantra all the time," just ease back to the mantra. This can be in a very faint and fuzzy place, and then gone to pure bliss consciousness...

You are doing very well. In some time, the process of daily deep meditation will settle in, and you will notice its affects more and more in your normal daily activity. Carry on, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

So relax into the practice and and dont worry too much. It will change over time.

Wish you all the best.

Go to Top of Page

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  3:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti. I have been practicing DM for about 2.5 months, and about 1 month of that with SBP prior to DM.

I know I haven't been practicing for long; however, I can already see the "calming" effects of DM in everyday life. My wife has commented already how much calmer I am. That being said, I just want to make sure I'm on the right track...AYP DM is so simple that it almost creates its own complexity, if you know what I mean.

Anyway thanks for the reply!

P.S. Many people say that their breathing slows down during DM, which makes sense....however my breath seems to be linked to my mantra. In other words, I automatically link a mantra repetition to my inhale and another to my exhale...thus if I am intoning the mantra quickly, back-to-back, my breathing is pretty fast.

I have tried to un-link them, but as soon as I just focus on the simple practice of DM, they link up again.

Is this a problem?

Edited by - Bourgo on Mar 20 2012 3:53:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  3:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bourgo

This lesson should shed some light on it: Lesson 106

You will become so calm it can annoy other people!

Edited by - woosa on Mar 20 2012 4:02:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  05:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Burgo,

I note your use of the word "intoning" the mantra. That seems to suggest you're "sounding" out the words in a particular way and therein may lie your problem. Relax and say the mantra without intending, attaching any clear sound to it; let it do what it will.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  08:50:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think, at some level, I am afraid that no matter how dedicated I am to my practices, that I will wake up after 30 years of dedication and still be no closer to my spiritual goals.

I am afraid that perhaps I am something less than everyone else....incapable of spiritual enlightenment. Like somehow I'm missing that vital part....so every time I sit down to meditate I try to make the most of that time, just trying to "force" my own progress. I know that this is TOTALLY wrong, but I'm not sure how to get around it....its in the back of my mind constantly and I think its hurting my sitting practices.

It's like if you had some unhealthy symptoms and went to the doctor: the doctor tells you it is either (a) something harmless or (b) a type of cancer....but he has to run some tests. In the time it takes to get the test results, you constantly fear the worst and no matter how hard you try to tell yourself that it will be okay and distract yourself, ultimately you can't shake those negative thoughts that haunt you in the back of your mind. That is how I feel about my spirituality and I hate it.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  12:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bourgo, to say you get no closer implies you have not been doing any practices whatsoever, which is clearly not true. There are milestones laid out along the way, and in addition there can be symptoms and scenery that you surely have come across however subtle. I have heard of a principle that states people generally have a blind spot when it comes to evaluating oneself over time. Ripeness is another one to keep in mind. I don't know if it is possible to see it directly, or just by reflection as when finding traction in energy and stillness practices that was clearly not present earlier on.

How long? The lessons suggest to keep at it as long as it takes. You've chosen your path, and from my own research and practice I can see plenty of reasons why this one tends to be called a superhighway. I should also add that some natural level of anxiety can be an abundant source of fuel to keep going and easily up the momentum effortlessly, as well as keep you at the main controls that drive things forward.
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  01:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bourgo

I am afraid that perhaps I am something less than everyone else....incapable of spiritual enlightenment. Like somehow I'm missing that vital part....so every time I sit down to meditate I try to make the most of that time, just trying to "force" my own progress. I know that this is TOTALLY wrong, but I'm not sure how to get around it....its in the back of my mind constantly and I think its hurting my sitting practices.

Hi Bourgo,

Whenever you wake up, your morning starts.

This path is not about testing yourself in terms of where you are, and setting goals or timeline. They are rather distractions IMHO. Everyone is a part or manifestation of THAT, wrapped in disguise - so you are as likely to be that as anybody. Still if it feels like you are somewhere, just accept it and surrender, then decide what to do now

I see that the thought you mentioned can harm your practice. Consider this - wherever you are, every sitting practice session will take you closer to THAT, no matter if you can see it or not. So practice cheerfully, and enjoy...

My two cents...
Love
Go to Top of Page

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  08:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Aum and Swan. I appreciate the advice and encouragement.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  09:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think of it like an Egg. It sits there showing no signs of anything particular and then one day there is bird.

The Egg is necessary to get the chicken, the Egg shell provides the protection that the bird needs before it hatches. When the bird is in the egg it knows nothing of what lies beyond the boundary of the shell and it does not know that one day it will peck through to the outside world. It does not select the time that it happens, it only goes with the flow. If it never hatches it will know nothing different, it will contentedly live life in the shell.

I always liked the story of the ten monks crossing a river. When they get to the other side, one monk counts the others but forgets to include himself. The monks then spend days grieving over the lost monk. A passerby helps them by counting the monks from one to ten and the monks go away happy that they have found their lost brethren.

Enlightenment is sometimes referred to as the lost monk that was never really lost your thoughts that you are not fit for spiritual practice are the tenth monk. You can worry as much as you want, you will not find the answer because it is you that has decided to hide the truth. It is obvious you know that, so accept it, the Guru is guiding you towards discovering that knowledge, there is a reason, just like the birds shell, why you feel as you do.

So, after 30 years so what if nothing has happened? Who said it would? What else are you going to do? Have you wasted all those years in pursuit of the unobtainable ? What did you build there? Your expectations are causing you to suffer. That is what you are here to learn. There is no past and no future, just like In the poem by Shelley.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Edited by - karl on Mar 22 2012 09:28:40 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000