Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Is it worth it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maya

India
21 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  1:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello

I'm new to this site and to this particular meditation. I was wondering what other people's experience is of this practice.

I have been doing some meditation regularly for about two years, with great results; pain relief with vipassana and other visible results with relaxation and visualisation. I have been trying out the law of attraction, by using appreciation, gratitude, etc... The results are a mixture. It has made a great difference to my moods during the last 3 months.

Last year, I tried this method for 4 months non-stop and found that my acne had gone completely, my nails grew like they hadn't in 20 years, I was sleeping deeply, as I had previously suffered from insomnia. However, the feeling from day to day was nothing special. I can actually make myself feel really good during the day when I practice appreciation and feel that I get better, tangible results.

Also, with all the mantra, pranayama and rest, it was taking me at least 1 hour and 20 mins daily, so a heck of a lot of time. It leaves me no time to do appreciation, so it's always been one or the other. I know I can do it during the day, but there's nothing like quiet time.

I'm trying this method again, as I feel like I was getting clearance, where other methods don't necessarily. (Acne, insomnia has returned). However, I tried qi gong for the insomnia and that's been working well. I must admit I want to get to the "silent" bit. I don't want my healing to be superficial, which LOA can be. I would like to heal from the inside, but not if it's going to be really painful or I'm going to commit suicide. Okay, I won't be around to complain, but I've got kids!

My question is have other people really found a marked improvement in their lives? I hear that kundalini awakening can be mega dangerous. I only want to invest this much time if it's really worth it. I guess people who have not found it to be useful would not be reading the forum messages anyway.

Oh, and another thing, as I'm trying AYP again until I decide whether it's for me, I've jumped straight into where I left off - DM and SBP. (I had a 3 month break). Is this okay, or do I have to start from square one again? I didn't experience any bad symptoms last time.

Any feedback, good or bad, is appreciated.

Thanks.

M.

Edited by - AYPforum on Jun 10 2012 5:19:11 PM

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  1:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just follow Yogani's self pacing recommendations and you will do well. I think that once you work up to samyama you will fond it fulfills the need for appreciation and law of attraction way beyond espectations. Many folks on the forum, myself included, find samyama to be their favorite practice. But pace yourself.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  6:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Maya to the forums!

The experiences will vary depending on many things like innate sensitivity, inner obstructions, prior experience and so on. Any entry point, even if is mainly health, is a valid source to use to get started. That source may change over time so what once spurred you to one practice or another may not be the same one that keeps you going.

If DM and SBP has been steady in the past, you can pick it up where you left off, and you could always inch them up in time gradually over a few days or a week. I've had to stop for a week at most, and with my eagerness driving me up the walls, picked it right back up and it felt right at home.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  6:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes you should resume where you left off, but not for an hour and twenty minutes. Only 20 minutes for each session is sufficient, one morning and one evening, and as LittleTurtle says watch yourself for self pacing.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  7:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Maya

My question is have other people really found a marked improvement in their lives? I hear that kundalini awakening can be mega dangerous. I only want to invest this much time if it's really worth it. . . .

Yes, I have found a marked improvement in my life. I don't consider myself a very spiritual person, so I appreciate things like reducing stress, and slowing aging, which AYP is excellent for. You don't have to worry about kundalini with AYP, as safeguard are built in. I think the danger is in other systems that don't have self pacing, or concentrate on individual chakras, or over do practices, especially pranayama. That's why short practice times are good, and that also solves your reservation about it taking a lot of time.
Go to Top of Page

Maya

India
21 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  11:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for all of your replies. They've all been really useful. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who desires good things in life. I thought someone might suggest I p**s off some place shallow, when I mentioned getting things I want. I was hesitant in writing about my questions to the forum.

I will carry on from where I left off, watching for disturbances. (I noticed I broke into sweats a couple of times, but hours after practices). It was nothing too uncomfortable. These things had not happened on the first round of AYP, so I can only guess it was because I jumped in. Let's hope I keep the practices up for good now.

Thanks again all.

M.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2012 :  7:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maya,

Sounds like you've gotten really good advice :)

It seems like K is only really "mega dangerous" when it is activated spontaneously in a powerful way, eg the crown opening.

The practices here are designed to awaken in a gentle way.
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  10:47:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maya

I no longer practice DM or SBP because I don't like the effects.

If you're concerned about kundalini yourself you could look into this: -

http://www.rajivkapur.com/home.htm

Rajiv Kapur is a former student of Ed Muzika who comes from a highly-respected Advaitan and Soto Zen lineage.

What Rajiv says on his site is: -

This site is dedicated to Rajiv’s Gurus - Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi, who has been his inspiration and guiding light; Shri Maheshwari Prasad Dubeyji, his Kriya Guru; and most notably Ed Muzika (Edji), who pointed him towards the Final Truth.

I have personally never come across problems of "overload" in any Advaita/Self-Inquiry setting (outside of AYP), so you should be perfectly safe going down this route if you don't mix it with AYP.

Incidentally, I'm not a student of Ed or Rajiv myself but along with a background of many years of meditation, I'm a former student of Greg Goode and Rupert Spira (with whom I spent a many happy years).

EDIT:- Incidentally, perhaps I should add that my meditation background wasn't AYP

Edited by - gatito on Mar 19 2012 11:03:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Inner_silence

USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  11:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
@maya
I hear that kundalini awakening can be mega dangerous.

An awakened kundalini is your birth right. It is not "mega" dangerous. You are viewing kundalini as an external entity but rather it is part of you and will never harm you, unless in certain extreme cases where people had forced or premature awakenings due to unnatural causes.
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  11:49:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Inner_silence

quote:
@maya
I hear that kundalini awakening can be mega dangerous.

An awakened kundalini is your birth right. It is not "mega" dangerous. You are viewing kundalini as an external entity but rather it is part of you and will never harm you, unless in certain extreme cases where people had forced or premature awakenings due to unnatural causes.

Hi Innersilence

Could I suggest that if you believe that Kundalini will never hurt you, you really need to read Gopi Krishna's autobiography. It's actually on the AYP reading list and mentioned several times in the AYP lessons.

The point is that Kundalini will certainly harm you if you get it wrong or act carelessly.

These practices are inherently dangerous and you need to be careful.

That is the whole point of self-pacing?
Go to Top of Page

Inner_silence

USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  12:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I must add a bit of background to my statement above. I got sankalpa deeksha (shaktipat by intention/will of the guru) on Sunday.

The mind that always plays the advocate was telling me that this is too much of star wars technology to make sense.

Nevertheless, I have bhakti and devotion towards the Guru and to my own spirituality.

Between 6.00 and 6:45 AM exactly as told, I got power blasted by energy in my spine (wave up on wave) moving upward. It was ecstatic. My wife was in another room also getting the remote-shaktipat. We didn't want to be in the same room just in case one of us loses it and starts punching and kicking the other ;)

So after 1 hour of meditation, we came out of our respective rooms with a new perspective and a new attitude. I asked my wife how it felt and she felt the same thing as I. This was my confirmation that I have not bonkers.

Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  12:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I must add a bit of background to my statement above. I got sankalpa deeksha (shaktipat by intention/will of the guru) on Sunday.

The mind that always plays the advocate was telling me that this is too much of star wars technology to make sense.

Nevertheless, I have bhakti and devotion towards the Guru and to my own spirituality.

Between 6.00 and 6:45 AM exactly as told, I got power blasted by energy in my spine (wave up on wave) moving upward. It was ecstatic. My wife was in another room also getting the remote-shaktipat. We didn't want to be in the same room just in case one of us loses it and starts punching and kicking the other ;)

So after 1 hour of meditation, we came out of our respective rooms with a new perspective and a new attitude. I asked my wife how it felt and she felt the same thing as I. This was my confirmation that I have not bonkers.

Congratulations.

I too am a Kryaban (of an ancient and now extinct lineage) who was initiated and instructed, in person, by direct transmission nearly 30 years ago.

I cultivated what I was given withy love and devotion for many thousands of hours until, entirely through Grace, the seed flowered.

For many years and with many teachers I have also walked the path of the jnani.

I wish you well, my brother.
Go to Top of Page

Inner_silence

USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  12:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi gatito,

Thanks for your reply. I have read about Gopi Krishna et al who have undergone a bad kundalini awakening. My point is we can all live in fear of the kundalini or experience it the right way :-)
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  1:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi gatito,

Thanks for your reply. I have read about Gopi Krishna et al who have undergone a bad kundalini awakening. My point is we can all live in fear of the kundalini or experience it the right way :-)

That is very different from saying:-

"You are viewing kundalini as an external entity but rather it is part of you and will never harm you, unless in certain extreme cases where people had forced or premature awakenings due to unnatural causes."

And Kundalini, like your body, is not You. It belongs to the same "class" of objects as a car, which may seem to transport you to a destination or take you over the edge of a cliff to your death.
Go to Top of Page

Inner_silence

USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  2:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I disagree with you, gatito. Kundalini shakti "is" part of ones body. It is merely dormant before awakening. It doesn't mysteriously show up inside you one fine day.
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  3:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I disagree with you, gatito. Kundalini shakti "is" part of ones body. It is merely dormant before awakening. It doesn't mysteriously show up inside you one fine day.

Feel free to disagree

However, you're not disagreeing with anything that I actually said.

I didn't say that Kundalini wasn't "part of one's body".

I said:- "Kundalini, like your body, is not You"
Go to Top of Page

Inner_silence

USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  3:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have never really understood the "you" argument, meaning "you" are different from your body. "You" cannot self-realize without the physical body. The real "you" has nothing to realize if it is seperate from the body.
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  4:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I have never really understood the "you" argument, meaning "you" are different from your body. "You" cannot self-realize without the physical body. The real "you" has nothing to realize if it is seperate from the body.

I can see that.

Actually, in a way you're spot-on. There is no separation and nothing to realise, although, that's not true in a relative sense.

However, that doesn't help, does it?

If you've got a serious question about non-duality that you want to explore, post it on the non-duality forum and I'll be happy to explore it with you (from the perspective of the Direct Path of Sri Atmananda Krishna Menon, which is my area of interest nowadays).
Go to Top of Page

Inner_silence

USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  5:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your wisdom, gatito.
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  7:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome (although, it's not actually my wisdom ).

Go to Top of Page

Maya

India
21 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  02:54:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks the replies from all the other people. I am currently comfortable with AYP and will try and keep this up. Will look into other forms if need be.

I wouldn't mind trying other methods, if only they were a quicker way to feeling ecstatic / enlightenment. However, I believe all the methods I've been introduced to seem to require time and effort or relying on another "guru" for help. I like AYP because I'm in control. I'm the doer / be-er! It just takes so much of my time and it's only the beginning. I try to wake up earlier to accommodate for this. The other reason why I like AYP was because of the physical benefits I already started to get, like deep sleep at night, no acne, etc...

I spoke directly to a gentleman who many believe is enlightened and he said that it happens randomly. Animals can have it and so can objects. It doesn't matter how good a person you are. I hadn't mentioned AYP. But I feel AYP gives everyone a chance. You don't have to be one of the chosen few.

You never know, one day, I'll be advising HIM.

Mx

Edited by - Maya on Mar 24 2012 12:23:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ichigo

Israel
66 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  10:42:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I really believe it depends on the person itself..
Go to Top of Page

Maya

India
21 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  11:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ichigo

I believe this also. One practice will yield different results in different people. Similarly with healing; one method works well for one person's illness and does nothing for another's.

Thanks for input.

Mx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000