Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Newcomer question on chakras & AYP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

meditationsack

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  04:26:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi there;

I was invited to visit the forums and received a very nice personal email from the AYP site admin.

My request was that he do a new 2012 audio offering on chakras as part of the AYP awakening series, but if I understand what he's saying correctly: the AYP system doesn't consider chakras to a cornerstone of awakening. Fair enough, I think that goes squarely against the grain of most traditions, but to each their own.

I guess more than anything I just lament that there is not much credible firsthand audio info out there relating to what chakras are and how they factor into awakening.

I still would like to state my case that an audiobook on chakras would be a valuable offering from AYP, if only to clear up some misconceptions, and teach about chakras accurately. Personally I think there is a much higher probablility of people getting lost or sidetracked by encountering chakras out of the blue and not understanding them fully.

It would seem to me that if you were desinging a series of guidebooks to a densination which will inevitaibily take a traveler on a route through 7 different spectacular cities that you would want to atleast give them the a heads up on what they will encounter in each place and what the bennifits and limitations of each particular place might be.

So what do the rest of you think, would you be interested in an AYP audiobook on chakras?

Edited by - meditationsack on Mar 09 2012 12:57:51 AM

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  11:01:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meditationsack:

Welcome to the forums!

Even though chakras are not front and center in the AYP system for reasons discussed in my email to you (see copy below), if we were to do more on them, an audiobook would not be the preferred channel. That is because chakras are traditionally visual. If you are seeking more detail on them, it is suggested to go to some of the well-known literature in the field, such as Johari's "Chakras." A lot has been written on chakras. It can provide some inspiration, but for cultivating real spiritual progress, a different angle is necessary. That is what the AYP lessons are about.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

-------------------------------

Hi:

In the Advanced Yoga Practices (AYP) system, chakras are secondary to the main task of all-encompassing spiritual practices -- deep meditation, spinal breathing pranayama, etc. The AYP view is that piecemeal manipulation of chakras can become a distraction, delaying spiritual progress. While chakras are deliberately not covered much in the AYP Enlightenment Series audiobooks, they are covered in the online lessons and books, particularly the first AYP Easy Lessons book. Here is an excerpt that sums up the AYP take on chakras: http://www.aypsite.org/books-elfel-sample.pdf

Additional lessons covering the role of chakras can be found in the topic index under "Chakras" -- Lessons 21, 47, 73, 77, 206, 220, T61

If you have further questions, it is suggested to bring them to the AYP Support Forums, where much help is available.

Thanks for your interest in the AYP writings and audiobooks. Wishing you all the best on your path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

meditationsack

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  01:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much for the reply. What you are saying, given the mandate of AYP is perfectly reasonable. I appreciate that there is good info on chakras avaiable.

Interesting that you would say that chakras are traditionally visual. As a beginner I'd like to ask a bit about that.

I actally had chakras come to the forefront when I was practicing the long version of the Gayatri Mantra, OM BHUR, OM BHUVAHA, OM SWAHA, OM MAHAHA, OM JANAHA, OM TAPAHA, OM SATYAM... Specifically practicing something I'd heard in Ramana Maharshi's teaching regarding chanting Mantras without speaking or thinking. And suddenly (I think you referred to it as automatic yoga) I discovered these levels up and down my body. I didn't really know what it was at first. They are so distinct that it's almost like changing a channel on a tv set when I go from one to another. But there are two things that I haven't had arrise which are usually associated with chakras.

1) Only the third eye "Tapaha chakra" has a visual component.

and 2) I haven't noticed "swirling" or a vortex associated with any of the chakras.

How do the chakras appear to many of you more experienced yogis?
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  12:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meditationsack:

Oh, that is different. I had the impression you were seeking general information on chakras, which is best found in the graphic media. That is the old way of spiritual study, gathering a lot of information. I see you are into direct experience, which the new way, and very good.

Since you are talking about experiential knowledge, that has much more to do with inner sensations rather than images and theoretical discussions in books. Direct experience can be through any of the 5 senses, or combination of them.

However, the answer on chakras from the AYP perspective will still be the same, expressed in a somewhat different way, since the question is coming from a more intimate place, i.e., your direct experience.

The analogy we use for chakras in the lessons is "machinery under the hood" of the vehicle we are driving (this body). It is not necessary to analyze the detailed operations of the machinery under the hood to drive the car. It is only necessary to operate the main controls, which are much easier to comprehend and use with good effect. In fact, trying to drive the vehicle with our head under the hood can be very distracting, and prevent us from reaching our destination in a timely manner.

When inner experiences are coming up, as they are bound to when we are practicing daily, we also use the word "scenery" to describe them. If we are traveling, we will see passing scenery as we move along. The traveling is one thing. The scenery is something else. The scenery is not the traveling. Likewise, on the path of yoga, the experiences are not the practice. They are an effect of practice. Scenery (experiences) do not produce spiritual progress. Practices do. So, if we stop to enjoy the scenery, that is fine. But we should understand that it is not much about traveling.

This is why we downplay chakras, and dramatic experiences in general, which there are plenty of as we advance on the path of yoga. Cruising around these forums a bit will give you an idea how profound and varied the experiences can be. It's all scenery!

It is a key point.

So, while I am sure many here can share a lot on experiences with chakras, etc., it is not likely to provide much long term spiritual progress if it is not translated into inspiration to practice. That is the real benefit of spiritual experiences -- inspiration.

We also call it fanning the fire of spiritual desire, or bhakti, which leads to action in practices. If you use your spiritual experiences in that way, you will go far. Be sure to self-pace along the way.

Just some food for thought...

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  1:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The scenery is something else. The scenery is not the traveling. Likewise, on the path of yoga, the experiences are not the practice. They are an effect of practice. Scenery (experiences) do not produce spiritual progress. Practices do.

can not repeat this often enough...thank you

Edited by - maheswari on Mar 11 2012 1:10:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

meditationsack

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  5:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for the thoughtful response. I will take your words to heart, and if I have further questions I'll try and post them in the proper forums.

As far as the AYP forums go it's going to take me a bit of time to decypher what the bandha-this and asuna-that forums are each for. It's all rather new to me (this time around). But I appreciate that you use traditional terms in AYP. Like the great Buddhist teacher Ajhan Maha Bua said: "I always use traditional terms because advanced pratitioners know them directly, and when it comes to beginers I'd much rather have them not understand than misunderstand"

Now that you mention it, it's kind of interesting that I would seek out either writen or audio teachings on chakras. The only thing I have found that really mirrors my experience of chakras so far are those amazing old pictures of the Christian Saints, with the glowing hearts and halos, etc, especially the paintings that show the glowing heart with the sword through it. I'm certainly not trying to mention myself in the same breath with any of those great beings, but I can tell for certain that the person who painted those pictures knew the exact same experience that I have stumbled upon. Call it what you will.

As you advise I'll do my best to not become attached; the very fact that these chakra openings and experiences are transient leads me to realize that they are nothing but sense experiences, albeit exquisite ones.

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/im...-of-mary.jpg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000