Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Namah
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  10:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Good day!

A quick question, about the pronunciation of NAMAH in the 2nd mantra enhancement for deep meditation. I've been meditating using namah for around a year now, I believe, and have been pronouncing it with a long second A it sounds like - NAM-ARE in my mind.

However, I just came across a youtube video of Jai Uttal performing Kirtan, chanting OM NAMAH SHIVAYA, and he pronounces it simply as "NAMA". I have a feeling that this is correct based on the rules of sanskrit pronunciation. Is this how it should be intoned in DM? Or was I right to pronounce it in what was my immediate and natural tendency? Does it matter? Should I consider changing it at this point, even though practices are going as well as ever? I can't remember any guidelines in the AYP writings regarding the subject.

Thanks everybody for your perspectives

Edited by - Wafu on Mar 04 2012 11:03:22 AM

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  11:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wafu,

The "ah" in Sanskrit is an aspirated a. That means that it is the same as an English short "a" except that more air comes out than with a normal short a. But when you are using a mantra internally, no air can come out, so it would be pretty much the same as a normal short a. Long a (like are) and the short a (as in mat) are different vowels in Sanskrit.

So I would go along with Jai Uttal, if you want to make a preference.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  12:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi Do you think it would be sensible to attempt to correct my internal pronunciation of NAMAH now that I've been doing it for a while. Would you expect it to have a noticeable effect? Would there be any advantages to pronouncing it right (like Jai )

How are you doing? Are you wintering it out over in India at the moment?

Best wishes
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  1:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The "H" is in Sanskrit usually slightly pronounced. Sort of like namaha. Any super Sanskrit scholars here?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  2:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Little Turtle,

quote:
The "H" is in Sanskrit usually slightly pronounced. Sort of like namaha. Any super Sanskrit scholars here?

Well, I am no Sanskrit scholar, but I can share what little knowledge I have.

There are 2 different kinds of "H" in Sanskrit. One is a normal "H" and the other is something called a visarga. If you look at this alphabet chart:

http://tinyurl.com/7mls3a7

Look on the last column, right down towards the bottom. That is a normal "H". Then look at the second from last column, on the second row down. There are 2 dots, one above the other. That is the visarga. The "H" in Namah is the visarga. It is a special letter which causes the preceding vowel to be slightly echoed.

Edited by - Christi on Mar 04 2012 2:18:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  2:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wafu

Thanks Christi Do you think it would be sensible to attempt to correct my internal pronunciation of NAMAH now that I've been doing it for a while. Would you expect it to have a noticeable effect? Would there be any advantages to pronouncing it right (like Jai )

How are you doing? Are you wintering it out over in India at the moment?

Best wishes

Hi Wafu,

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. The mantra becomes subtle and changes over time anyway as I'm sure you know. You could change it, only to find it changes back again on it's own.

I am very well, thanks. No Indian beaches for me this winter unfortunately, but lots of fun with my kids and lots of teaching yoga.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  4:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again! Sanskrit uses these subtle sounds, now that I listen to that chant again it does sounds kind of like Namah-a, but oh so slightly to be almost unnoticeable. I'm not about to go into that much detail with the mantra, but I did just experiment with the "nama" pronunciation in the mantra and DID notice it feeling differently in the body.

I'm not sure whether that was just a result of my needing to concentrate more than usual or directly due to the effects of the different vibration. It felt good anyway, and I would guess it's as good as adding another enhancement judging by the effect it's had. Which makes me think that now might not be the best time to change as I have just begun using stage 2 khechari mudra and am needing to self pace a lot. I have a feeling that the perfectionist in me will be wanting to think it "right" from now on.. for better or worse!

Glad you're doing well I won't go too far off topic here but do you mind if I facebook message you, I'm interested in hearing about your classes!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  4:45:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wafu,

Yes... there are certain sounds in the sanskrit language which have a more powerful effect than other sounds when used in mantras. The double "e" sound is one, and some double consonants such as Kri and Hri. So some of the most powerful mantras are things like: Shreem, Kleem, Hreem and so on. The visarga is also considered a powerful letter when used in mantras, as you have discovered.

The Sanskrit language was developed with the human nervous system in mind.....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000