Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Intonation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

richilincez

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  07:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everybody,

once every while I ge some doubt.
This time it regards the sound of I am. I have been practicing just thinking "i am" like instructed by Yogani.
Though, now I wonder if I shouldn't instead intone the mantra, as I've read in other topics by some. In lesson 22 about "vibratory quality of the mantra", such a quality is descripted, but in how I "think" it inside, the mantra is hardly any inner sound.
If I don't actually intone it as an inner sound (with no forcing) would it have the same purifying effect?
I dont' really understand this fact of the "sound" of the mantra, and it still puzzles me after many questions.

Thanks

Riccardo

Edited by - richilincez on Mar 01 2012 07:54:19 AM

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  12:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Riccardo,

No need to intone. Yes, at first you will not feel the vibratory quality of the mantra but you will get there. One day, it will be rocking (literally) your world.

Love

Sey
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  01:24:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Vibration does not have to mean a sound here. It can mean anything that is oscillating, moving to and fro, back and forth. The thought of the mantra over and over again is like a wave vibration of energy through the rest of the nervous system. It is like a still pool of water. If you drip one drop at a time into the surface, eventually there will be a uniform ripple effect of waves going out from the center where the drops are falling. The mantra is that consistent drip. The vibratory quality is the energy pulse wave effect that happens throughout the nervous system.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  03:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some need an explanation as to why it is working, some are satisfied with the Mantra without the trappings.

It's like any practice. If someone says kick that ball against the wall and your football will improve, some will want to know where they should stand, what foot to use, which angle, how hard, how far off the ground, how it should feel, what parts are being improved. Others just do as they are told and kick the ball without thinking about it.

This is what happens in meditation. The endless repetition creates thoughts and stories to keep the mind occupied and justify the action. It is a prelude to "nothing is happening" and the seeking of a reason to discontinue.

The thing is, DM isn't about thought improvement, or mind improvement. The mind gets confused about its work because it seeks advantage, just like a shop keeper seeks to sell goods in a shop. The mind cannot grasp the idea that it isn't always required so continually creates novelty within the practice. It cannot conceive a situation in which the advantage is redundancy.

So, keep kicking the ball, or find a reason to kick the ball. It's all the same.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  10:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your questions are exactly the same as I've been having. At the start of moving from silent meditation to mantra DM, I didn't look into it this question lingering on my mind, and as a result I "intoned" the mantra in a overtly sub-vocal way, thinking this is ok as the mantra's property would 'come through' and in time also refine. I now suspect that by doing so, I neglected the overall advice to "lightly pick up the mantra at whatever level you find it" and also not enforcing a "regimented repetition" (which in my experience happens when you "intone").

The reason for why I imagine my confusion occurred is mistaking a valid question with a doubt (or any manifestation of tamas and rajas of mind). My answer to that question would have been asking on the forum, checking back with what the lessons say as a whole, and not sparing something from awareness (inner teacher). Doubt with respect to DM is addressed by following the easy procedure.

After a few months of 'intoning,' while in DM, I spontaneously dropped it and just let the thought be as it is. I allowed this 'foreign' intention to creep in and remain unexamined under the cover of "I'm just doubting the procedure, keep at it, and it will refine in time" while at the same time self-sabotaging the actual instructions. Could I have spared a few months of this and spontaneously correct it earlier? Maybe not, since that's what practice is also about. But I also don't think it had to take quite this long if I had not confounded a valid question with the unruly mind.
Go to Top of Page

hemanthks

Canada
59 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  12:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit hemanthks's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Riccardo:

In vedic literature, there are four levels of speech. These are Paraa, Pasyanti, Madhyamaa and Vaikhari.

Vaikhari is the grossest speech level, Madhyama is the mental level, Pasyanti stage sound possesses qualities such as color and form, Para is the highest and beyond the perception of senses. Mantra recitation at Para level is said to be the best of all, next best is Pasyanti and next to it is Madhyama. Vaikhari method would bring the least result. So, yes your inner sound will surely bring the results.

For more:http://www.hindupedia.com/en/Sound

Regards
Hemanth
Go to Top of Page

richilincez

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  10:37:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everybody, I will keep kicking the ball against the wall.

Anyway, I just added 5 min of pranayama at the beginning of the meditation and I feel it's smoothing out DM very much, still it is just an inference.

You are all always very helpful and the depictions of the process are always marvellous and inspiring.

Thanks

Riccardo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000