AYPsite.org Forum
 Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Messages during Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  9:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Gatito posted a wonderful poem called Desiderata recently.

If you've never read it you should check it out. Even if you have read it, it's a joy to read again.

You'll see that I posted in Gatito's topic about an experience I had with Desiderata. Namely, I was in meditation and the word "desiderata" started echoing around my head. I'd never heard the word or the poem before.

As I noted there, this also happened with Sylvia Plathe's Ariel. I heard the word 'Ariel' echoing during meditation.

Now recently, I had a dream (not meditation) where I walked into a cave. There is a sign on the cave with words that I can read but can't (because it's a dream after all!). But I hear the words echoing throughout the cave, booming actually. It all seemed very important as only few dreams do. And in this case, I am nearly certain that the words were "Sum Usum"... which I proceeded to look up upon waking.

Certainly latin, "sum" is the first person conjugation of the word "to be". So, "I am" is the translation.
"Usum" is a bit more nebulous, but is from the verb "to use" in singular nominative form, and in latin this verb has a more expansive meaning than in english. So, for example, this could mean "undergone" or "experienced" or "employed".

Upon dreaming this, and prior to looking up the words, I immediately 'knew' the meaning of this phrase. My understanding was, "I have done (this)".

I don't want to put too much stock into these types of experiences, but I was reminded of it by Gatito's post. And it seems rather meaningful.

For discussion, I was hoping people would share any similar experiences. Has this ever happened to you?
And if anyone has anything to add to my interpretation, for greater understanding, I would definitely appreciate it.

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  11:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tonightsthenight

I have had dreams with ancient texts read aloud. Hearing chants/seeing mystical texts which I have not know before. It's all a stirring up of the mind of its latent impressions as we meditate everyday. Sometime I am conscious of it. But most of the times, it unconsciously seeps into mind directing daily activities.

It could also be a premonition of things which we will encounter in the near future. Chicken came first or egg came first ?? Can't really say, but since great sages have always said the merging of time and space is in the eternal NOW.

Hope this helps.

Peace
Chitananda.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  01:33:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by chit-ananda51

Hi tonightsthenight

I have had dreams with ancient texts read aloud. Hearing chants/seeing mystical texts which I have not know before. It's all a stirring up of the mind of its latent impressions as we meditate everyday. Sometime I am conscious of it. But most of the times, it unconsciously seeps into mind directing daily activities.

It could also be a premonition of things which we will encounter in the near future. Chicken came first or egg came first ?? Can't really say, but since great sages have always said the merging of time and space is in the eternal NOW.

Hope this helps.

Peace
Chitananda.

Hi Chitananda, thank you for sharing.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean about latent impressions stirring during meditation.

That could have been the situation here, however, I distinguish between these three situations and the general stirrings of the mind; things unbound during meditation.

In these cases, it seemed to me that they were more messages... you know how sometimes when you have dreams that DID NOT come from you? Something like that.
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  07:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tonightsthenight

Yes. There are dharmic dreams or visions which happen during meditation. They might be induced into our consciousness when we are receptive to it. I have had astral encounters with beings whom I do not know. They simply come when the time is ripe, bless or inspire us and then dissolve back into their source leaving no trace.

Sometimes their visitation happens like we meet a friend on a physical plane .. at other times, they are symbolic and metaphorical reminding us of the destination towards which we all are eternal travelers.

If the message originating beyond us becomes a day to day living experience, it is helpful. That is what our practices are all about.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000