AYPsite.org Forum
 Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Tough Love
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  5:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
[Them Zen teachers ain't too nice sometimes...LOL!...]

From "After the Ecstasy, the Laundry" by Jack Kornfield:

"I saw a Korean Zen master use his strength of compassion with a senior student who had fallen in love with a new female student in the community. Less than a year later this woman abruptly left the senior student for another man. For several months the Zen master was sympathetic to his senior student's grief and ministered to his sorrow. The the master took a nine-month teaching trip to Europe and Korea. Upon his return, he spent time checking in with each of the community members.

When his senior student let him know he was still mourning his loss, the Zen master reached into his bag and pulled out an exquisitely carved set of prayer beads as a gift. He carefully placed them in the delighted student's two hands, which he held with one of his own. Then in an instant the master raised his other hand and fiercely smacked the student across the face, shouting as he did so, "Put her down!"

Then the master bowed and walked away. All of us standing there were in shock. But we all soon noticed that the senior student was dramatically changed by this blow. He let go and moved on with his life."

Edited by - Bodhi Tree on Feb 02 2012 01:01:57 AM

mattb23

Australia
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  10:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely.

His love for his girlfriend was limited to the body. She left him, therefore he was miserable. Whereas his love for his Master transcended it.

By striking the ego the Master, being the Self, struck the Heart. It was an act of compassion. One the Master would not have given had the student not been ready.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  01:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm....I really like your interpretation, MattB. The student was surely ready for "the rude awakening". I've received a few of those myself--delivered from a variety of channels, and they've helped me to come to a realization that pain can be a good teacher--if I am receptive to its lessons. Of course, I prefer pleasure as the teacher, but sometimes I need some cold water in my face too.

Namaste.
Go to Top of Page

mattb23

Australia
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  06:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Bodhi Tree...just saw this!

I'm only a casual guest here...please forgive! :)

We all prefer the pleasurable awakenings! But unfortunately most of us need a good smack in the face from time to time! hahaha

I'm certainly no exception :P

Suffering is the fire that incinerates our worldly (i.e. body-mind) attachments. If it wasn't for suffering, guarantee you would never have found your way to the spiritual teachings, lessons and practices you have today.

On the topic, I must recommend an extraordinary film for you. It's titled Shaolin. You can watch it for free here:

http://www.sockshare.com/file/57122A4B893532A5# br /

Namaste dear friend

Edited by - mattb23 on Feb 20 2012 06:26:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  07:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet! Thanks man. I'll check this out during my downtime at work!
Go to Top of Page

mattb23

Australia
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  07:44:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000