Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Antar and bahir kumbhaka
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  03:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
According to yoga theory, what are the inner workings of antar and bahir kumbhaka? What does each one affect?

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  09:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The process of respiration has three components. Pooraka is inspiration of air, kumbhaka means retention, and rechaka is expiration. It can be said that kumbhaka is pranayama and pranayama is kumbhaka, not pooraka and rechaka, which are natural processes. Kumbhaka is again of three types. Bahir kumbhaka is retention of breath at the end of expiration. Antar kumbhaka means holding the breath after inspiration of air, and kevala kumbhaka or sahaja kumbhaka implies holding the breath with no particular state of respiration in consideration. Kevala kumbhaka is one of the final stages of yoga parallel with the state of samadhi. Bahir kumbhaka is not used very often. Hence we shall consider antar kumbhaka i.e. retention or holding the breath after fully inspiring or taking in air.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  11:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi img,

Loads of info there from vijikr.

Both forms of kunbhaka will put a draw, or pull on the kundalini energy. Bahir kumbhaka puts a draw on the energy with the emphasis on the root chakra. As for antar kumbhaka, the emphasis will be put on either the ajna chakra or the crown chakra depending on the practice you are doing during the kumbhaka.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  12:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Vijikr and Christi, thank you both. I understand, our 'goal', so to speak, is stillness of prana, in other words kevala kumbhaka. But why is bahir kumbhaka not being used often? We can easily verify by direct experiment that bahir kumbhaka is substantially harder than antar kumbhaka. This could be because prior to taking up yoga we've had much experience with holding breath with lungs full, but I can't think of any 'ordinary life' experience that calls for breath retention with lungs empty.
Do we need bahir kumbhaka at all, assuming we work on progressively lengthening antar kumbhaka? If we do need bahir kumbhaka, then why?

Edited by - img on Feb 15 2012 12:46:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  2:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi img,

Bahir kumbhaka is not often used, but in some cases it is. If you practice standing udhyana bandha with jalandara bandha and kumbhaka, it is easier with bahir kumbhaka. Also if you are combining microcosmic orbit, or alternate nostril breathing or spinal breathing with kumbhaka, it is more powerful if you include both internal and external kumbhaka. This is because of the way that the energy circulates in the body following the breath and because of the extra stimulation to the root chakra that the external kumbhaka gives.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  2:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi
...bandha and kumbhaka, it is easier with bahir kumbhaka.

I agree, the more empty the body, the easier (Nauli is hardly possible without that kumbhaka, or without intestines and bladder emptied).

Also, these practices feel easier and more relaxed if performed before any physically challenging ones, never after (for example repeated sun salutations, or new asana/asanas employing some "unusual" muscles).
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  3:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Christi and HathaTeacher.
What about bahir kumbhaka in nadi shodhana? Is this something useful?
Actually, I didn't regard bahir kumbhaka in uddi/jala or nauli as a bahir kumbhaka practice per se, because I can't imagine how these could be done without bahir kumbhaka. For example, uddiyana with antar kumbhaka has got to feel pretty uncomfortable...
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  4:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by img

Thanks, Christi and HathaTeacher.
What about bahir kumbhaka in nadi shodhana? Is this something useful?
Actually, I didn't regard bahir kumbhaka in uddi/jala or nauli as a bahir kumbhaka practice per se, because I can't imagine how these could be done without bahir kumbhaka. For example, uddiyana with antar kumbhaka has got to feel pretty uncomfortable...

Hi img,

Anyone who was on the UK AYP retreat back in the fall will be laughing now, as I taught it that way by mistake on the first session.

As for bahir kumbhaka with nadi shodhana, yes it is a useful practice and adds something to nadi shodhana. Common breathing patterns would be 4:4:4:4 or 6:6:6:6 (Inhale 4 counts left, retain 4 counts, exhale 4 counts right, retain 4 counts etc).

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000