Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Gayatri mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  1:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have read that Yogani isn't very fond of localising the various sounds of the mantra.
However, I personally find this a pretty useful crutch to use in the beginning. Just as the circle has a centre, which is a point that doesn't belong to the circle per se, so does a mantra sound have a 'seat' with which it resonates most.
With that in mind, and keeping Yogani's analogy between mantra soundsand tuning forks, could anyone please interpret Gayatri?
Where are the 'centres' with which various sounds in Gayatri resonate?
I fully understand that it's counterproductive to become dependent on such information, and I don't intend to - I simply would like to know.
Thank you.

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  02:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gayatri mantra is not really a mantra, is it? But a chant - to me at least it is chanting.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  02:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What's 'really a mantra'?
Go to Top of Page

yogesh

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  08:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course it's a mantra, one of the oldest
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  11:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
My teacher explained Gayatri as being like performing a Tai Chi form where all parts of the body are treated to a health boost, so the whole mantra is needed for maximum effect.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  1:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Riptiz, thanks for that info. That's exactly what it feels like, but I'd like to learn more about how Gayatri works.
Are there good books/sites/blogs written about how mantras work?
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  1:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi img
i am no expert but i found this...hope it helps
http://www.sivanandaonline.org/publ...tion_id=1087
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  4:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani's Mantra Design 101 is really interesting. I have always wondered how it will be to meditate using powerful mantras like Gayatri.

Would love to hear Yogani's thoughts on it. I assume it will be both powerful and destabilizing.

The other aspect is the length. It is a pretty long mantra compared to I AM or SHREE I AM NAMAH. So there would be more "mental activity" in remembering and repeating compared to the shorter mantras. This might be what AYP calls "slower going into silence and slower coming back out"
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  12:28:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed it is a mantra. A mantra which you chant? Actually my only exposure to it was during a group meditation which started off with chanting the gayatri for some 5 mins before moving into the main meditation with another mantra, so I guess that's why I got confused.

Interesting.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  02:40:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, maheswari, for the link - it's interesting.

Nearoanoke, perhaps we could ask Yogani to teach us more on mantra design - as in, a lot more, with Gayatri as a case study.
After searching for mantra-relatied information, I took a small step foward and got an introductory book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...a_os_product
It's in transit at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  06:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
A mantra which you chant?

why not? loll
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  08:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  02:09:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my currently favourite version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Hl...ture=related
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  04:04:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a quick update.
The book arrived, and it's GOOD.
It seems so far that Sanskrit alphabet is a toolbox of 50 tuning forks that can be combined in various ways and so very much worth knowing.
Also, it's not necessary in the beginning to learn the grammar, as our efforts are better spent reciting the letters and observing how they resonate.
If anyone is at all interested in mantra, Frawley's book is worth reading.
I'll update this topic as I read the book further.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  8:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is definitely a very good book. Highly recommended for all AYPers, especially if you want to understand the internals of Deep Meditation.

In general for any book, if you google for the name followed by a "pdf" you will find a free pdf copy. You can do the same for this one too. Here is a link from where you can download this one

http://www.4shared.com/office/mImrl...primal_.html
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  12:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic!
Is there a chance you magically know how to get the PDF of Vasant Lad's 'Ayurveda, the Science of Self-healing: A Practical Guide'?
I could start reading it while waiting for my Amazon order to arrive.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  1:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi img,
I find this version of the Gayatri mantra very powerful.
http://youtu.be/ZDvXsrDBEHshttp://youtu.be/ZDvXsrDBEHs

Another powerful mantra:
Maha Mrityunjay Mantra : http://youtu.be/cPOVGqZaizA

Self pace them....
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  2:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Shanti.
I downloaded Maha Mrityunjay Mantra to listen to it early in the morning.
As for Gayatri, why is it sung with another Om, as in Om bhur bhuva svaha OM tat savitur varenyam?
I can't say I appreciate the effect.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  2:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by img

As for Gayatri, why is it sung with another Om, as in Om bhur bhuva svaha OM tat savitur varenyam?
I can't say I appreciate the effect.

Kinda interrupts the flow doesn't it...
It is so we dont fall asleep during the repetition...

Just kidding...
Don't know why they add the extra OM...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000